Sign in to follow this  
RZNJ

Gary Thorne Quotables Thread

I'm sorry. I've held my tongue for quite a long time. I CANNOT STAND IT when he does his overrated and flat out uncalled for home run call for the opposing team. HEY NUMBNUTS, you are broadcasting for the ORIOLES! Orioles fans don't want to hear you pitch a tent when someone on the opposing team hits a home run.

Sorry, but his grand slam call for Encarnacion really got to me tonight. I'm sure it had a lot to do with watching our pitchers walk three in a row and then Strop serving it up.

But man, my wife and I HATE listening to Thorne. We love Hunter, Palmer, and Bordick. They bleed black and orange (or appear to).

Didn't Angelos fire Jon Miller for not "bleeding black and orange" ? Why don't we have that guy?

Everyone that is not a White Sox fan hates Ken Harrelson (The Hawk) but I would LOVE to have an announcer that could call games and is as biased as him.

Would you rather have a blatent homer announcer like Hawk? The homerism gets annoying.

I really don't like Thorne. He's a voice.... that's about it.

To me, it's like he's not paying attention half the time. He mis-identifies pitches, players and situations all the time.

1. Angel

2. Palmer

The rest

I was just discussing this topic at work yesterday. My co-worker contends that Thorne becomes "orgasmic" anytime the Yankees of Red Sox (or any team) hits a home run against us. We were discussing alternatives and the name Ben McDonald came up. He was absolutely great the few times we've had him. Informative, interesting and pro-Oriole without sounding homerish.

I was just discussing this topic at work yesterday. My co-worker contends that Thorne becomes "orgasmic" anytime the Yankees of Red Sox (or any team) hits a home run against us. We were discussing alternatives and the name Ben McDonald came up. He was absolutely great the few times we've had him. Informative, interesting and pro-Oriole without sounding homerish.

Ben McDonald does play by play??

I'm in the apparent minority that dislikes Gary Thorne's announcing style, which consists of constant yammering. The man can't shut up for even a second. Listening to his incessant "stat chatter" is beyond grating, so much so that I usually turned down the volume and watched the game in silence. I have discovered that the silence also somewhat bothered me, so I have downloaded a baseball crowd noise track from the soundbible.com website and have been burning a CD that will have about 2 hours of crowd noise on it.

It has long been my hope that Joe Angel would come to the TV side for MASN and the Orioles.

Thorne is just fine with me. I hate Harrleson with every fiber of my being, and would mute the TV if he was an O's announcer.

I wouldn't be able to handle Hawk for long, but for sound bites he's awesome...

"He Gawn!"

"You can put it on the boooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooard, YES.......YYYYYYYYYYYYYYES!"

But his actually rooting for the White Sox during the game is ridiculous.

I love Cakes in the booth. Gary is good but I get annoyed with the jinxes and his enemy play calling. I get frustrated with Jim and Fred talking about whatever they feel like and not what's going on down in the field. They're mediocre at best but still light years ahead of many.

Mike Krukow and Duane Kuiper (Kruk and Kipe) in SF are the best tv guys by far. They both played for the Giants so they are obviously biased, but they are still objective and having played portray an understanding and provide an insight I haven't seen from anyone besides Jim Palmer.*

*Edit: Chuck and Broosksie.

Edited by OrangeJerseys

If you love listening to Hunter and Bordick and would love to have a guy like Harrelson calling Orioles games then there is no hope for you.

I'm not exaggerating when I say I'd turn off the sound if the O's hired a Hawk-like guy to broadcast. If I wanted to listen to someone blather on about how his buddies Adam and Nick need to step it up in the clutch and beat the bad guys I'd pull up a bar stool next to some dude with an O's hat pounding shots.

Grand slams are awesome, Thorne's excited call was appropriate.

I agree, especially after our pitchers walked the three guys to load the bases.

Not sure what the OP expected there?

Thorne: "Ball four. Ball eight. Ball twelve. Oh ****, grand slam. Son of a gun, just when I thought WE had him where WE wanted him."

Gary Thorne is an Oriole treasure, how dare you.

The guy has his off moments, but if you don't have a sense of humor about him, you just don't get him.

In my opinion, he's worked hard to win over the majority of O's fans since he came on and now he's like our weird Uncle Gary. And no one - NO one - has been as good with Jim Palmer as Gary.

I love when Gary pokes fun of his apparently well known love for booze. And when he gets laughing...he just cracks me up. I love me some Gary Thorne!

I have always loved Gary Thorne maybe its because I always loved him on SportsChannel America and ESPN Hockey being a hockey fan myself. Glad he is the O's PBP guy. Now that being said, I prefer listening to O's games on 980 locally and iphone mlbat app with Angel and Manfra cuz there is nothing like baseball on the radio but I am an older dude.

I agree, especially after our pitchers walked the three guys to load the bases.

Not sure what the OP expected there?

Thorne: "Ball four. Ball eight. Ball twelve. Oh ****, grand slam. Son of a gun, just when I thought WE had him where WE wanted him."

dagummit

Someday I hope he stops calling the pitcher "Brandon Moreau" instead of Morrow... as his name is actually spelled.

I like Palmer, but I'm in the minority when I saw I prefer to listen to the game on the radio with Fred and Joe. People rag on Fred for his boring calls, but I enjoy his voice. Joe Angel is hysterical.