Roy Firestone

We cannot win long term with Clevenger as our starting catcher..

So if I read this right, we need an super offensive catcher to make the playoffs and you are now ok with our closer...so get the catcher and we make the playoffs. Is that what you are saying? :)

Huh? Where did i say any of those things? Especially about me being ok with the closer?

Huh? Where did i say any of those things? Especially about me being ok with the closer?

I think what he's saying is that you are not okay with the closer. You are also not okay with the starting pitching. And now you are not okay with Clevenger at catcher. However you are stating that Wieters being out as THE reason we won't make the playoffs. Get it?

• Upvote 2

6-5 so far in games that Clevenger has started.

Not super amazing, but fairly consistent with our overall winning %.

Did I miss the memo that said weiters will be out all season? Seems like he will be gone 15 days and right back like CD. Atleast as a dh. What clevenger is doing right now is actually right on par with what weiters has been his whole career. I have no problem with clevenger honestly. Hell, he actually frames pitches for his pitchers

Steve Clevenger has shown he can hit ML pitching, and his defense and arm are average. As for throwing out runners, his MilB caught stealing average was 28%. League average is 26%.

Clevenger has proven he can hit MLB pitching? He has a .578 career OPS. His 46 PAs this year represent 16% of his career total. I have hope he hits because of his minor league performances. But his overall MLB record is quite weak in a fairly small sample.

I bet Buck would love to have Taylor Teagarden back.

Brian Ward looks like a poor man's Teagarden. Always old for his minor league levels, but a .669 OPS. I'd be surprised if he got to .600 in Baltimore.

I betcha that's who their shopping for. I think he's in the minors of the Mets system.

Currently OPS'ing over 1.000 in the PCL in Las Vegas. The current betting line in Vegas has his ML OPS in the 500's if he gets back to the majors.

Put Pearce at 1B and Davis at C -- if Crush can pitch in the big leagues, he must be able to catch.

To be slightly more serious, while I've read lots of discussions about the effect on a pitching staff of a veteran, defense-oriented catcher, the views on that effect seem to be all over the place. I have thought that having Weiters behind the plate has been a strength of the Orioles over the past few years. At the same time, it is obvious that a team can win without a strong defensive catcher, and that a team can have lousy or mediocre pitching performance with one.

One factor that might reduce the cost of losing Weiters long-term is that this year most of the Orioles pitchers (other than today's call-up and Gausman) are not that young or new to the ML. If the Orioles do pick up a veteran catcher to back up Clevenger, maybe he can be Gausman's caddy when he joins the rotation.

Losing Weiters, the offensive juggernaut he is, will be too much to sustain as a team. I suggest we just forfeit the remainder of the game here on out.

Losing Weiters, the offensive juggernaut he is, will be too much to sustain as a team. I suggest we just forfeit the remainder of the game here on out.

I don't think the offense is the issue. The issue is whether the backups will cost us a lot of runs by not calling as good a game or playing as well defensively. I guess we will find out.

First, it's Clevenger, not Clevinger. And secondly, he's the least of this teams problems. Right now I'd be more worried about Tillman.

I don't think the offense is the issue. The issue is whether the backups will cost us a lot of runs by not calling as good a game or playing as well defensively. I guess we will find out.

I am on the BrooksTheGreat page (poster). I think Weiters is overrated by some. He is a good player, yes. His bat was particularly promising this year. However, his value is in his arm moreso than his game calling. But time will tell.

I certaintly don't think he is a BAD game caller, I just think that aspect maybe overrated by some.

It's a curious issue which points up the difficulty of evaluating catchers. The first thing virtually every O's pitcher, when interviewed will do, is to credit Wieters . They all trust him to put down the correct finger, and they just concentrate on executing. How much is that worth and is there a big difference in that regard between Clevenger and Wieters?