Roy Firestone

Manny owes his team, his fans, baseball an apology

Theres no question that he threw a bat intentionally. Theres no excuses. No tit for tat even if he were provoked . This was a potentially image altering incident. Manny should quickly, sincerely and directly apologize. He was out of line, and probably he was out of line twice during the weekend.Do the right thing Manny, apologize and move on, and more importantly don't do anything like it again.

Something had to be done after they threw at his surgically repaired knee. Either charge the mound or something retaliatory.

I'd also love to have every bodies worst moments at age 21 captured on live TV. Then we'll see who's talking.

• Upvote 2

He's not going to apologize.

Move on.

John Wayne always said in his movies, "never apologize son, it is a sign of weakness." I think that is applicable here. I don't see ABAD apologizing, that is the only way, I would even remotely expect to see Manny doing the same.

What we really need is Chris Davis to rein down on somebodies behind if they are going to throw at our players. If he's not hitting right now, might as well send the message don't mess with us.

I am amazed at the overreaction to Manny's overreaction. Who knew? We all thought Manny was a talented young model citizen as a ball player, not like Puig or Harper, when he is in fact the second coming of Delmon Young in his bad boy prime. :rolleyestf: People are calling for him to be off the team, suspended forever. They are talking about the ARoid influence. I would like to know what has been going on with him. People just don't step out of character like that for the kind of reasons people are citing. I doubt we will hear it, but I bet Buck and DD are aware and perhaps that might be why they have been so protective of him during this situation. It's a shame he can't step up and issue an apology without lengthening his suspension. It would go a long way to putting it behind him. Maybe they can cut a deal with MLB to give him a lighter sentence if he does this right away.

Also, he may owe his teammates an apology, but he does not owe the fans anything. You are not entitled to an apology from a baseball player, nor is any baseball player obligated to give you one. Ever. End of story. You as a fan are not owed one single shred of anything ever from a baseball player. It's a choice for you to pay to see them, they are employees of the organization. You have no say. Period. You have no entitlement to anything as a fan. You are only entitled to have what you pay for, and that is watching a baseball game. If the baseball game did not happen, you are entitled to a refund or a ticket exchange. Ticket price does not include apologies or anything otherwise personal from the player directed to you, the fan.

That said, he should apologize to his teammates (and maybe he already has) because he put them in a position to get injured and also forced Buck to play guys out of position.

I don't necessarily disagree across the board, but, by your logic, he doesn't actually owe anyone an apology for anything, save for maybe his employers (and that's only if it can be shown that his actions damaged them from a financial perspective). Very, very low accountability standard you're setting up.

I don't think Manny, or any player, should apologize for bad behavior because he "owes it" to other people. I think he should apologize if/when he feels like it's the right thing to do as a member of his communities (i.e., the "baseball" community, Baltimore, etc.).

John Wayne always said in his movies, "never apologize son, it is a sign of weakness." I think that is applicable here. I don't see ABAD apologizing, that is the only way, I would even remotely expect to see Manny doing the same.
He also said “Life is tough pilgrim, it is even tougher if you're stupid”

― John Wayne

and

“A man deserves a second chance, but keep an eye on him.”

― John Wayne

• Upvote 1

Something had to be done after they threw at his surgically repaired knee. Either charge the mound or something retaliatory.

I'd also love to have every bodies worst moments at age 21 captured on live TV. Then we'll see who's talking.

This nonsense has to stop. The A's weren't throwing at his surgically repaired knee they were throwing at his bum and thigh and with the intention if they missed..missing down.

Thats what you are supposed to do. Throwing high inside is where the injuries happen and where if you miss you can end up throwing at the players head.

I would also like to point put despite doing nothing wrong and getting thrown at twice high and inside before getting hit in the elbow; Davidson who actually was hit managed to control himself and not charge the mound like a raving lunatic so why shouldn't Machado be able to do the same?

Edited by boller4president

NOTHING you said makes this right . NOTHING.

This nonsense has to stop. The A's weren't throwing at his surgically repaired knee they were throwing at his bum and thigh and with the intention if they missed..missing down.

Thats what you are supposed to do. Throwing high inside is where the injuries happen and where if you miss you can end up throwing at the players head.

I would also like to point put despite doing nothing wrong and getting thrown at twice high and inside before getting hit in the elbow; Davidson managed to control himself and not charge the mound like a raving lunatic so why shouldn't Machado be able to do the same?

Look at the first pitch again. That was headed right for his knee. If he was trying to hit him in the ass he missed very badly.

NOTHING you said makes this right . NOTHING.

I love how the only time people seem to be able to achieve moral clarity anymore is when it comes to sports, not for anything that actually matters.

Stop being so self-important.

• Upvote 1

I would also like to point put despite doing nothing wrong and getting thrown at twice high and inside before getting hit in the elbow; Davidson managed to control himself and not charge the mound like a raving lunatic so why shouldn't Machado be able to do the same?

So you know exactly where it is they were trying to hit him then right? Give me a break.

What? They most certainly were.

No one is really condoning what Manny did. The consensus is that Manny stepped out of line but the A's have no business claiming someone on our team disrespected the game when they intentionally threw at Manny's knee twice. Obviously none of this would have happened if Manny didn't overreact Friday night. But you know what none of this would have happened if the A's took the high road and didn't throw at Manny. It goes both ways and both teams are at fault here so the A's can start by also claiming responsibility instead of being babies and calling Manny out in public.

I am assuming by "Davidson" you mean Donaldson? :D

In fairness to Chen, Donaldson stands right on top of the plate and crouches down enough that it's near impossible not to throw "near" his head. He also dives into pitches, which causes inside pitches to look worse than they are.

Donaldson seems like a tool, but Manny's reaction on the basepaths was very immature and throwing the bat is out and out stupid. Not acknowledging Norris behind the plate is a no class move as well.

If I were Manny, I'd make a phone call to Norris and let him know he was sorry and let him know he was concerned about his well-being. I think that's the only thing he needs to do at this point. He's likely going to be suspended, so that will be enough punishment. And he definitely needs to apologize to his teammates for looking like a jackass.

• Upvote 1