Greg

Kevin Gausman is expected to be removed from the Orioles' rotation when Miguel Gonzalez comes back.

The rotoworld blurb is from an article written PRIOR TO the conclusion of last night's game and THIS is the only quote in there that they are using to make a massive assumption.

Once Gonzalez returns, the club needs to make room for him in the rotation. Right-hander Kevin Gausman has made three starts this season, including Thursday against the Blue Jays, and could be sent back to Triple-A Norfolk or put into the bullpen.

Read more: http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/bs-sp-orioles-notebook-0613-20140612,0,3159488.story?page=2#ixzz34X4iQBs9

Here is the relevant quotes from Buck AFTER last night's game.

"Well, he's done what it takes to be considered," Showalter said. "He's taking care of his end of it. And the good news for us is we've got some other people capable of pitching well, too. Miggy (Miguel Gonzalez) was throwing the ball well before he got hurt, so that bodes well. We'll see how everybody feels the next day or two and take a look and see where we are. But I was hoping it would be an outcome similar.

"Gaus has pitched well in his two outings. Just hope he's starting to grasp what it takes to consistently help this team win."

Showalter said there's room for Gausman and Gonzalez in the rotation.

"Like I said earlier, Gonzo can take another start on rehab, he can join us on Sunday, which would be out of the 'pen, or he can go back in the rotation Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday," Showalter said. "There's always a scenario you can figure out. A lot of the dynamics have to do, too, with Manny (Machado's) impending loss and a couple other things, how we get to the off day. But if Gonzo's ready to pitch and ready to help us, we'll activate him."

• Upvote 1

Here is the relevant quotes from Buck AFTER last night's game.

"Well, he's done what it takes to be considered," Showalter said. "He's taking care of his end of it. And the good news for us is we've got some other people capable of pitching well, too. Miggy (Miguel Gonzalez) was throwing the ball well before he got hurt, so that bodes well. We'll see how everybody feels the next day or two and take a look and see where we are. But I was hoping it would be an outcome similar.

"Gaus has pitched well in his two outings. Just hope he's starting to grasp what it takes to consistently help this team win."

Showalter said there's room for Gausman and Gonzalez in the rotation.

"Like I said earlier, Gonzo can take another start on rehab, he can join us on Sunday, which would be out of the 'pen, or he can go back in the rotation Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday," Showalter said. "There's always a scenario you can figure out. A lot of the dynamics have to do, too, with Manny (Machado's) impending loss and a couple other things, how we get to the off day. But if Gonzo's ready to pitch and ready to help us, we'll activate him."

Sounds like Manny's suspension is going to leave them a bench player short and worry about roster move when Manny comes off suspension.

I don't think so. Certainly not yet. Ubaldo would have to go down the tubes pretty bad for a few more starts and/or be injured to lose his spot imo. He has been extending starts for some guys this year, giving them an extra day at times (i.e. Chen and Gonzo). That has mostly involved an off day or a guy coming up for a spot start like Gausman did earlier in the year. Other than that going to 6 starters is likely going to involve a short bench and I don't see that happening. Maybe they can do something creative in the short term, but I don't see it as a longer term strategy.

It doesn't have to be a long term strategy. Especially if Jimenez or Tillman continue to struggle. I don't think Buck ever meant it as a long term strategy, but just a way as maneuvering his rotation.

Sounds like Manny's suspension is going to leave them a bench player short and worry about roster move when Manny comes off suspension.

Manny's suspension, and having to go down to an 11-man staff makes it likely that one of the starters goes to the bullpen temporarily, whether that is Gonzo or Gausman or someone else.

I don't believe it .If its true, its like Ed o'Neil's character on 'Modern Family" dumping Sophia Vergara to go back to his first wife.

sofia_vergara_05.gif

I expect people to stop looking to fantasy rags for sports news. Probably too much for me to expect.

So much fail. Rotoworld is one of the best sports news site you can get.

• Upvote 1

Depending on what Ubaldo does tonight will determine where Gonzo ends up. If Ubaldo only goes 2 innings and Buck has to use Stinson and McFarland for any length, then Gonzo will be in the pen to back up Tillman on Sunday with Stinson going back to the minors.

I agree, Rotoworld is the best. While they sometimes jump the gun a bit, they provide quick hit news blurbs that are easy to read and very up-to-the-minute.

To those putting down rotoworld: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQEkSNnOIhOiJ_EWeD0r2i9UCBTk2zMGx8WlIctSMp7p1Q2As-FtA

Yeah, not a fan. I prefer places that don't speculate with information in media and then call it news. Although, this can be said of many media outlets today.Maybe that is why it changed from news to media. Drives people to websites, incrementally lowering standards.

6 starters? Let them take turns working in the bullpen. Keep a five-man rotation but give them each a rest from time to time by lightening their load. I'd rather have one of our starters coming in as long relief over McFarland or Brach.

Seems to me that most of those opportunities wd be games that had pretty much become blow-outs and why would we waste our starters on that?