Roy Firestone

Lets admit it Gausman is our very BEST pitcher.

Sure, but if certain pitchers (see: Tillman) pitch better on a certain amount of days rest...then I don't think it's unfathomable that the same can apply to Kevin Gausman.

You realize you're setting a very, very low bar for your thesis:

"I don't think it's unfathomable that;"

and earlier:

"And we want to say that there's *zero* chance it has to do with how he's being handled?"

OK, (a) it is not unfathomable and (b) yes, there is more than a *zero* percent chance that the way Gausman was scheduled and "shuttled" (maybe he met the devil on the way back from Norfolk) had an effect on his pitching today.

One time for work I had to drive this non-air conditioned van from Southern Maryland to Norfolk to drop off some equipment at the Navy base. It was like 90 degrees out and it was flat-out miserable. I had to stop to get cold/caffeinated drinks three or four times. Maybe nine hours round trip in one day. Definitely made me less productive from the time I got home at like 7pm until I woke up the next morning.

If Gausman's experience was anything like that I can definitely see how he's pretty much cooked for hours, maybe even a day or two.

It probably didn't help. I just don't think it was the main cause.

Emotions are very much apart of it. He was lights out (to my surprise) to the point he was our best pitcher during that time and we send him down? Okay, got it. He earned his keep and shouldn't be continually yo-yo-ed.

That was def a factor in my eyes.

Some of the things the Orioles do makes me roll my eyes...

Like keeping Flaherty here instead of trying to get his bat going in AAA or keeping Lough around...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bad games happen. Glad he didn't have one on a day when the offense actually scored enough runs to expect a win.
The FO probably screwed the offense up somehow with how they handled the off day. :rolleyes:

I will stand by my comment. Gaus wasn't good today. It happens. He wasn't horrible either,and I think the 9 days off hurt too. Im anxious to see how he pitches against the Rangers, but I think he is just fine and will remain our best, although Tillman is pitching great again.

It's clear now he's gonna need another 3-4 years in the minors before he's considered for his next spot start. By the time he's 37, he might be ready for a full season.

It's clear now he's gonna need another 3-4 years in the minors before he's considered for his next spot start. By the time he's 37, he might be ready for a full season.

Only because the Orioles screwed him so bad!

Show on his convo with Gaus after Game One from Roch:

"I told Gaus, 'You know, you use that 26th guy for both games.' I talked to him between games about what was going to happen and a couple other things, and I said, 'Keep your powder dry because you're a pinch-runner the second game. Your body's here, we're going to use you.' He asked me what keeping his powder dry meant. I'm officially old.

"You've got to light the powder to light the fireworks, right? For the fuse? I'm officially punch drunk."

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2014/06/hearing-from-showalter-after-4-1-win-in-game-2.html

I like how our best pitcher has a career WAR of 0.1. This wins the award for silliest thread.

I'm sure when Strasburg came up the Nats Hangout had a guy like you reminding everyone for, like, a year that Livan Hernandez was their best pitcher.

I like how our best pitcher has a career WAR of 0.1. This wins the award for silliest thread.

Seriously.

The only guy on this staff who has stuff that can approach KG's is Jimenez when he is on. But sure bring up career WAR when discussing a rookie, hell why not bring up his career win total also...that would be equally as silly. Sorry if this is the silliest thread yours wins easily the silliest response.

• Upvote 1

Seriously.

The only guy on this staff who has stuff that can approach KG's is Jimenez when he is on. But sure bring up career WAR when discussing a rookie, hell why not bring up his career win total also...that would be equally as silly. Sorry if this is the silliest thread yours wins easily the silliest response.

He pitched last year. And bringing up career WAR is relevant when talking about who the best pitcher on the team is. Once has a couple of years of success then you can discuss it. When he has had no success it makes you look like you have no clue to what you are talking about. Tons of players have a couple of good starts and then fade away.

Seriously.

We've all seen this movie and this type of response.

o

I think that it is far too premature to proclaim Gausman as our very best pitcher, but I would still like to revisit the thread in light of Gausman's "3-stage game" last night.

Last night's game essentially had 3 stages for Gausman.

The ESPN commentators chimed in during and after Gausman's near-disastrous 5th inning, and I believe that their comments were perceptive.

o

The ESPN announcers stated that they believed that Gausman was being conscientious of his no-hitter in the 5th inning, and that that may have played a part in his walking the 3 batters that he did before the Angels got their 3 RBI's on 2 hits.

I think that they may have been onto something, although the home-plate umpire's strike zone seemed to be pretty stingy that inning, also.

They also mentioned that when he was struggling after he had walked the 3 batters that he did that inning that he looked back at the mound after he threw a 1-1 pitch for a ball to make the count 2-1, as if to try to blame something. Maybe.

What I did like (as did the announcers) was that he came back and settled in to pitch 2 more shutout innings after that near-disastrous 5th. Perhaps after he got the idea of the no-hitter out of his system AND survived a very scary inning, he re-focused and went back to pitching the way that he did in the first 4 innings.

Overall ...... rookie comes out firing early, struggles badly in the 5th (but doesn't completely fall apart), and then is able to re-focus and get back on his game to complete a solid outing of 3-run, 7-inning ball.

A learning experience for Gausman for sure, something that I believe can be very helpful to him in the long run.

This guy is a stud in the making IMO.

I've only watched him pitch four or five times, but he is on the verge of being a dominant pitcher with just a small refinement in stuff. I would like to see him just pound the strike zone with his stuff. I think he wastes too many pitches outside the strike zone that are nowhere near tempting for hitters to swing at.

I do think he is the best pitcher on the team and am glad that he finally appears to be in the rotation for good.