Sign in to follow this  
micahl69

Jake Arrieta

Jake Arietta is trying to prove that he is the real deal.

Jake is 3-1 on the year for the Cubbies with a miniscule 1.98 ERA after today's gem.

His last three starts:

6IP, 0 ER, 7 strikeouts

7IP, 0 ER, 9 strikeouts

7IP, 1 ER, 11 strikeouts (today).

That feldman trade does not look very pretty right now considering we had Feldman for three months and Clevenger is the minors.

It doesn't matter to me if he throws 5 no hitters in back to back games. I have written him off as an Oriole. I don't think he was ever going to put it together here.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

Yeah, I start to get annoyed by how well he's doing, but then I remind myself that he had plenty of chances and just wasn't going to be successful here. Classic change of scenery guy. Good for him.

It doesn't matter to me if he throws 5 no hitters in back to back games. I have written him off as an Oriole. I don't think he was ever going to put it together here.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

This. I just don't think he would have this kind of success here in Baltimore.

Yet I'd love to see this board if Arrietta and Hammell both shut us down in August with Strop pitching well in the pen. I doubt people will be as even-keeled about this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Meh, I don't really buy the "change of scenery" excuse. Jake was obviously a very talented guy and I just don't think you trade that for 3 months of a replacement level SP. You sort him out; if it's personal problems that are affecting him you sort those out, if it's the media issues you come out and back him big time with the media. We had him under team control so it's not like we were forced to trade him. He would've surely been a valuable bullpen arm too if we had kept hold of him.

Let's see if he can keep it up but I was always a Jake believer. People are rather impatient with young starters here, yet from the Cavalry--which the consensus defines as a massive disaster--we've gotten a decent SP in Tillman and a nice closer in Britton, and could've had more with Jake...

• Upvote 1

Meh, I don't really buy the "change of scenery" excuse. Jake was obviously a very talented guy and I just don't think you trade that for 3 months of a replacement level SP. You sort him out; if it's personal problems that are affecting him you sort those out, if it's the media issues you come out and back him big time with the media. We had him under team control so it's not like we were forced to trade him. He would've surely been a valuable bullpen arm too if we had kept hold of him.

Let's see if he can keep it up but I was always a Jake believer. People are rather impatient with young starters here, yet from the Cavalry--which the consensus defines as a massive disaster--we've gotten a decent SP in Tillman and a nice closer in Britton, and could've had more with Jake...

We needed Feldman. We were trying to get back to the playoffs. We didn't.

Which is ok if you aren't talking about a guy with whom I considered to a have as high a ceiling as Tillman, maybe higher. And he was coming off a year when he had an injury.

Now lets compare that to Britton who had a whole year to fail after the injury and is now prospering in a role he's desperately needed.

I would have liked to see Jake develop under Wallace and have a year removed from his procedure like he is right now. No doubt the NL is helping but his stuff is nasty, I've been impressed.

• Upvote 1

We needed Feldman, yes, perhaps, but we didn't need to trade Jake. A year earlier we weren't willing to give him up in a Chase Headley deal. It was a bit reactive to then give up on him a year later, given he was coming off an injury as socal notes. I suspect--and I hope I'm wrong--that the powers that be fell prey to the a similar kind of frustration and over-reaction due to the way in which Jake tended to fail--spectacularly--as did most fans on the OH. In short, it feels like they just gave up on him...

Edited by Flash- bd

We needed Feldman, yes, perhaps, but we didn't need to trade Jake. A year earlier we weren't willing to give him up in a Chase Headley deal. It was a bit reactive to then give up on him a year later, given he was coming off an injury as socal notes. I suspect--and I hope I'm wrong--that the powers that be fell prey to the a similar kind of frustration and over-reaction due to the way in which Jake tended to fail--spectacularly--as did most fans on the OH. In short, it feels like they just gave up on him...

I think the Padres wanted Davis and Arrieta, so it's presumptive to say we wouldn't have given him up for Headley. We surely would have imo if he were the centerpiece.

I think it's fair to say we could have stashed him in the BP and worked with him more. The Cubs have him working from the stretch exclusively. The trade was fair. You don't satisfy a need for nothing. We've been the Cubs and I'd rather be us. It's the cost of doing business.

I think the Padres wanted Davis and Arrieta, so it's presumptive to say we wouldn't have given him up for Headley. We surely would have imo if he were the centerpiece.

I think it's fair to say we could have stashed him in the BP and worked with him more. The Cubs have him working from the stretch exclusively. The trade was fair. You don't satisfy a need for nothing. We've been the Cubs and I'd rather be us. It's the cost of doing business.

I've seen you say this before in regards to him pitching from the stretch, but it's really the same modified delivery Tillman uses.

I agree they had a need but Jake is a thoroughbred. Just once I wanted them to say,"You don't need all of these pitches." He needed to be reigned in a bit. He is throwing a cutter to LHB now that is filthy.

I thought you might like the horse analogy.

Which is ok if you aren't talking about a guy with whom I considered to a have as high a ceiling as Tillman, maybe higher. And he was coming off a year when he had an injury.

Now lets compare that to Britton who had a whole year to fail after the injury and is now prospering in a role he's desperately needed.

I would have liked to see Jake develop under Wallace and have a year removed from his procedure like he is right now. No doubt the NL is helping but his stuff is nasty, I've been impressed.

I must admit, I thought the bone spurs shaving was a precursor for Tommy John surgery as well.

I've seen you say this before in regards to him pitching from the stretch, but it's really the same modified delivery Tillman uses.

I agree they had a need but Jake is a thoroughbred. Just once I wanted them to say,"You don't need all of these pitches." He needed to be reigned in a bit. He is throwing a cutter to LHB now that is filthy.

I thought you might like the horse analogy.

He threw six pitches, three which were mostly lousy. Maybe after the Cubs had him in the minor leagues, he did not have any choice after having been uprooted. I don't know. He is looking pretty good.

He threw six pitches, three which were mostly lousy. Maybe after the Cubs had him in the minor leagues, he did not have any choice after having been uprooted. I don't know. He is looking pretty good.

And now he's at four, but mainly three. The cutter is reserved for LHB and the CU to RHB.