Tony-OH

Then/now: What were you doing when you joined OH?

I don't remember when I first joined, but now I'm married and still employed by the state. Two and a half years sober and now I can function like a normal human being. Thank God for having safe things to do like post on a message board while talking with fellow O's fans. I don't have random holes in the wall anymore, and Nick Markakis is no longer a "gyro eating bum" when he doesn't drive in a run.

Nobody thinks about the behind the scenes benefits of a community like this, but when you're looking to stay out of trouble and have a group of guys to talk to, it's a great thing. Keep up the good work around here!

Congrats on your sobriety Brother! It's stories like yours that make me proud to be a family member of the Hangout. Yeah, we talk alot of baseball, but this place is SO much more than that. I's said it before and I'll say it again, we've seen Hangouters get married, start families, get divorced and remarried (Dip raises his hand). We've helped each other through the loss of pets and family members. We've prayed for each other when their loved ones have battled cancer. And sometimes, like with yourself, we've helped each other without even knowing it.

Thanks Tony and all the members of the Hangout Family for making every day a blast!

• Upvote 2

I guess this is a good place to check in and say hello, first post in over three years. I do still follow the Orioles every single day (even in the offseason) and check this board a little less often, and actually miss you all but have abstained from the addiction of writing and posting here.

I first found the Hangout I believe sometime close to its beginnings, via an earlier forum run by a Bob and Kerry(?). Then of course there was no turning back. :hearts: The late nineties was a time of transition for me from two decades homesteading in interior British Columbia. I started an online editing business, moved with a new partner to the city of Victoria, and immersed myself in African drumming here. From 2001 to 2011 I kept up a fairly regular column for the Hangout.

In May 2011 I was single, spending my second winter in Hawaii, and fell madly in love. That "honeymoon" period took my attention away from the Hangout and I've filled the gap since then with the new focus on relationship, world travels, and reviving my writing career, publishing four books in this past year and working on three more... and still drumming... and still following Orioles news religiously. This spring I had four months on my own again and dove into watching almost every game... learning to multitask while doing so. Now its back to couple mode again but the Orioles - and the Hangout - are still here to carry the orange torch.

Thanks to all of you, and especially Tony, for carrying it! :clap3:

Fantastic to see you here. I really miss your contributions. As now I follow your work and say hello from time to time.

Then: I had been an Orioles fan since the mid-70?s but lost interest in baseball and the Orioles in the 90?s after the strikes and to other interests. However, in the fall of 2007, I was looking for an escape from the reality at home one day due to fall-out after a major medical emergency my wife experienced following the birth of our third daughter. (It was a tough time and I took care of my family; I just needed a break from it occasionally.) So I thought it would be interesting to see how the Orioles were doing and I learned they hadn?t been doing very well. This information made me start looking to see if there were any prospects on the horizon and I began searching for that information. That?s how I found the OH and then actually joined that December I guess because I decided to comment on a thread.

Now: I?m working for the same company and had several promotions, living in the same house, we?re older (I recently turned 50), and maybe a little wiser. My wife and kids and dogs keep me busy. My wife is mostly healthy again and is running marathons. I have not lost interest in the Orioles since and have continued to remain positive and share positive expectations about them throughout the past 7 years. I read the OH every day and have learned a lot about baseball from this site but don?t tend to contribute much.

Your more frequent contributions would be welcome. We have some really great folks to talk with here.

THEN: I officially joined OH in September 2003 but had been viewing for some time prior to joining. In 2003 I was 46 and employed by the Federal Government and was a 9 year cancer survivor. I have been an O's fan since 1966. I thought I was a fairly knowledgeable O's fan but found many on the OH who are much more knowledgeable. That's not a bad thing.

NOW: I retired last July, am a 20 year cancer survivor and am enjoying every day. I still enjoy coming to the OH every day to see what's going on (and what might be going on) with the O's. Thanks to all on the OH who have helped me get an even more in depth knowledge of the O's over the years. Here's to many more!!

• Upvote 1

I don't remember when I first joined, but now I'm married and still employed by the state. Two and a half years sober and now I can function like a normal human being. Thank God for having safe things to do like post on a message board while talking with fellow O's fans. I don't have random holes in the wall anymore, and Nick Markakis is no longer a "gyro eating bum" when he doesn't drive in a run.

Nobody thinks about the behind the scenes benefits of a community like this, but when you're looking to stay out of trouble and have a group of guys to talk to, it's a great thing. Keep up the good work around here!

The fact that sane, normal, educated and enlightened people post here regularly speaks well of the Orioles, and of Mr. Pente. It's nice to have some of these folks in your network of friends.

Congrats on your sobriety Brother! It's stories like yours that make me proud to be a family member of the Hangout. Yeah, we talk alot of baseball, but this place is SO much more than that. I's said it before and I'll say it again, we've seen Hangouters get married, start families, get divorced and remarried (Dip raises his hand). We've helped each other through the loss of pets and family members. We've prayed for each other when their loved ones have battled cancer. And sometimes, like with yourself, we've helped each other without even knowing it.

Thanks Tony and all the members of the Hangout Family for making every day a blast!

All the things that you mentioned are exactly why I love this community and why I'm so protective of it. The loyalty that many of you have shown throughout the years have shown that this community has gone past a place to talk O's, but has transitioned into a giant internet family. Sure, we have squabbles and I have made mistakes at times while running this place, but in the end, and no matter what splinter groups that go away and start their own thing, the Hangout remains the place where "everybody knows your name" and people actually care more about you then just worrying about your baseball knowledge.

I'll always be protective of the Hangout, but at the same time, I've learned that the strength of this community is it's ability to carry on and get even better. Sure, we have lots of members who have been with us since the beginning (they are the glue), but it's the new people that have found us and have made this place their internet home that has allowed it to grow and prosper.

Thank you to each and everyone of you for making this place so great. And keep up those stories! I think a lot of folks are enjoying them.

Then:

Found the site through one of my college roommates Ryan Sakamoto, who was working PR for the Keys and sometimes donning the Keyote uniform. That was 2003-2004 ish. I was just graduating from College Park and working in Columbia as a fresh software engineer.

Went to a Plus member January 2006 (just looked it up). I was on a month long business trip to Singapore. Pretty sure I signed up during a late night fighting jet lag. Also got married in 2006. Big year.

Moved to Florida for awhile.

Now:

Still a software engineer, 3 jobs later, but back in Maryland. 32 years old, 2 kids, ages 2.5 and 1, married, trying to find more time to waste on these Orioles posts ;) Telecommuting helps with that, no firewall blocking the site at home.

Then:

Found the site through one of my college roommates Ryan Sakamoto, who was working PR for the Keys and sometimes donning the Keyote uniform. That was 2003-2004 ish. I was just graduating from College Park and working in Columbia as a fresh software engineer.

Went to a Plus member January 2006 (just looked it up). I was on a month long business trip to Singapore. Pretty sure I signed up during a late night fighting jet lag. Also got married in 2006. Big year.

Moved to Florida for awhile.

Now:

Still a software engineer, 3 jobs later, but back in Maryland. 32 years old, 2 kids, ages 2.5 and 1, married, trying to find more time to waste on these Orioles posts ;) Telecommuting helps with that, no firewall blocking the site at home.

Am I the only one who thought of Seinfeld when you posted that name?

http://seinfeld.wikia.com/wiki/Bob_Sacamano

I came here in 2001. I was probably flunking out of University of Maryland then. It's a bit hazy, between the all-nighters for computer science projects and the booze to dull the pain of flunking out of my computer science classes.

Since then, I dropped out of UMD, moved to Los Angeles, tried and failed to be an entertainment professional, went back to school in California, got a job as a software engineer, and got married to a wonderful person that my siblings think is crazy for agreeing to marry me. :)

So, not a whole lot of difference. :laughlol:

Computer Science, Maryland, 2001...booze...all nighters...Its all coming back to me...

Where you in my C++ class taught by Nelson and Charles Lin?

Discrete Math, Fall 2001 maybe?

I almost went stark raving mad that year.

Joined in 2005, during the season some refuse to talk about, and coming up on a 9 year "anniversary." My first avatar looked like this

Well, at the time, Tony's avatar was a picture of himself in a similar pose, so I quickly changed mine. :oops:

I caught a bunch of neg. rep early on for speaking positively about the Nats move to D.C., but made up for it talking about Angelos ;)

Then, my son was getting ready to start kindergarten, and this Fall he starts Calvert Hall H.S. That's the biggest change in my life, my great pride and joy. Where did those years go?

Then: First joined the Hangout in 2007, but I was reading it a couple of years before then. I am not much into posting but enjoy reading about the O's daily. I was 15 when I found the hangout and had just moved to a new High School for my Junior and Senior year. I had never been to an Oriole game but my father who had grown up in Baltimore had taught to love them at a young age. I didn't have any way to watch them, so during summer nights when I was not playing ball myself I would go upstairs to the only place I could get signal in central PA with an old radio I found in my attic and would listen to WBAL to get my Orioles fix.

Now: I am now 24 and just as much of an Oriole fan. I went to college and earned my Electrical Engineering Degree but decided I wasn't ready to start that life yet so I commissioned into the Marine Corps. I'm currently stationed in Camp Lejeune, NC. I spent much of the last year in Europe, but am home now, finally, with my wife of 1 year. I'm currently enjoying life on the Beach when I am not training somewhere across this great country. I still prefer to listen to games during the summer evenings then watch.

• Upvote 2

I don't post much (except occasional rants in game threads and very infrequent data mining exercises when I get curious about something) and I go 3-4 months on, 3-4 months off here. But anyway...

December 2009 I was in central Virginia, where inexplicably, Comcast didn't carry MASN. There were also very few bars to speak of, and I was in the MLB blackout zone of death. I was in O's purgatory, having just recently completed my undergrad degree and therefore having a lot of free time on my hands but no outlet for my O's energy.

Since then I quit my job in VA and moved to NYC for grad school, completed my Master's, and got a job in a completely different field here. I've been in NYC for 4 years and go to Yankee Stadium to cheer on the O's every chance I get!

Joined in 2005, during the season some refuse to talk about, and coming up on a 9 year "anniversary." My first avatar looked like this

Well, at the time, Tony's avatar was a picture of himself in a similar pose, so I quickly changed mine. :oops:

I caught a bunch of neg. rep early on for speaking positively about the Nats move to D.C., but made up for it talking about Angelos ;)

Then, my son was getting ready to start kindergarten, and this Fall he starts Calvert Hall H.S. That's the biggest change in my life, my great pride and joy. Where did those years go?

Tony, you were an impact player from the minute you signed up. I think everyone knew it.

Tony, you were an impact player from the minute you signed up. I think everyone knew it.

You're just kissing his ass so he doesn't give you concrete shoes! :D

I've loved Soprano for a while, even though he spent years proving every one of my posts wrong. That's why I only post silly crap now! lol Finally got to meet the big fella last year. T is one of the best!

Then, in 1997, before the Rivals site...and with dial-up internet service, I searched and found the Orioles Hangout. Being in Florida, it was great to be able to keep up with the birds and the minor league system a time of the day. Being able to get insights from inside info to just plain knowledgeable folks, is what I have liked most. I was a young officer then, with young kids. So, time was always short and working crazy hours.

Now, oldest in college, middle boy playing 14U in the showcase circuit (at PG BCS last week) and a three year old lefty who is dying to follow his older brother's footsteps. All are Oriole fans. I am semi-retired, weighing my options on career #2.

Tony, I sincerely appreciate what you, and your staff, have done with this site over the years. Lots of great stories in this thread. Though I do not post much, this site is always my internet home away from home.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by Jammer7
  • Upvote 1