Pedro Cerrano

Dooooook Loooooses

Last year was like the first time they played at Temple.

Way to pull out a game from 10 years ago..Really proves your point. :rolleyes:

I know it was weak but it's the best example i could think of.

Just like I don't see the relevance of SG's talent argument, I really don't see the relevance of this scheduling argument either. Duke's history speaks for itself. They don't play a soft schedule by any means, and, if this claim that they don't play tough road games is true, I think they're just being smart. This isn't like college football where someone can schedule patsies and beef up their W-L record and sneak into the national championship picture.

St Louis is not a mid major, at least not by conference.

Do they go to Davidson? Do they go to UNC-greensboro? No, they don't. So please, spare me this.

Most of these teams want to play Duke in bigger arenas to get more money. You know that, you aren't stupid.

No big time schools go to the mid majors home gym.

Carolina always goes to mid-majors' (or worse) home courts because we always play homecoming games for our players. It's a UNC tradition.

Why else were we in St. Louis this year (Tyler Hansbrough)?

Why were we at Cleveland St. 2 years ago (Jawad Williams)?

Why were we at Santa Clara 2 years ago (Quentin Thomas)?

And, as Seth said, why were we at Bethune-Cookman (Vince Carter)?

I could keep going.

First of all, as I said, they were forced into that Indiana game.

And it's not like either of those two teams were all that good last year. GTown ended up surprising people, but they weren't expected to be any good.

And didn't dook either lose or just barely escape that GTown game? It's exactly why ratface refuses to go on the road. That experience probably validated his whole philosophy.

When was the last time dook played Arizona, Kentucky, Kansas, UCLA, UConn, and the other big names on the road?

Carolina plays Kentucky on the road every other year. They play Arizona on the road next year, I believe. It just so happened that this year, they got all of Kentucky, Ohio State, and 'Zona at home.

Bottom line is Duke is a bigger draw, both in terms of at the gate and on TV than UNC is right now, so they are asked to play in bigger arenas.

Bottom line is Duke is a bigger draw, both in terms of at the gate and on TV than UNC is right now, so they are asked to play in bigger arenas.

Can you back this up?

I don't know if this claim is true. I'm guessing both their drawing power largely depends on the region/team they are playing.

Carolina always goes to mid-majors' (or worse) home courts because we always play homecoming games for our players. It's a UNC tradition.

Why else were we in St. Louis this year (Tyler Hansbrough)?

Why were we at Cleveland St. 2 years ago (Jawad Williams)?

Why were we at Santa Clara 2 years ago (Quentin Thomas)?

And, as Seth said, why were we at Bethune-Cookman (Vince Carter)?

I could keep going.

Ok, point taken. They play some awful mid major on the road once a year for one of the players. Ok, wow. Boy, that just really makes their schedule so tough!

The quality of the mid majors Duke is playing, whether at home or a neutral site, is also much better thanm most teams.

You guys can have Bethune Cookman on the road and i will take George Mason at home...Tell me which is harder.

Can you back this up?

I don't know if this claim is true. I'm guessing both their drawing power largely depends on the region/team they are playing.

I don't have the numbers. Just what i heard and read several times.

I mean, it isn't really that hard to figure out when you think about it. Why else do you think every game is on ESPN? Not for fun, that's for sure. It is always driven by money.

That's crap. dook schedules their own games, not the networks. Illinois is not asking to play in Chicago. If anything, dook is asking to play in Chicago for recruiting purposes.

The only neutral courts Carolina ever play on is Charlotte/Greensboro, or in a tournament. Otherwise, they schedule home-and-homes and they play road games. It has nothing to do with prestige. You keep believing that if it makes you feel better.

I agree with ejf - it's pretty much irrelevant, with the exception that dook gets top seeds (1's and 2's) instead of high seeds (3's and 4's) because of gaudy records that wouldn't be quite so gaudy if they played any real challenging road games.

Ok, point taken. They play some awful mid major on the road once a year for one of the players. Ok, wow. Boy, that just really makes their schedule so tough!

The quality of the mid majors Duke is playing, whether at home or a neutral site, is also much better thanm most teams.

You guys can have Bethune Cookman on the road and i will take George Mason at home...Tell me which is harder.

You conveniently ignored my points about playing at Kentucky every other year, playing at Arizona next year, and at UConn in recent years. And none of those are ACC-Big 10 Challenge matchups even.

I was just refuting your point about "no one playing at mid-majors" by giving you these examples. And besides, you make it seem as though Carolina doesn't play mid-majors at home too. Of course we do. But we return the favor and play them on the road as well. We aren't snobs, like the jerks over at UNJ-Durham.

Carolina doesn't need to play these games to improve their schedule. They already take care of that themselves. We don't shy away from the big matchup on the opponent's court.

I don't have the numbers. Just what i heard and read several times.

I mean, it isn't really that hard to figure out when you think about it. Why else do you think every game is on ESPN? Not for fun, that's for sure. It is always driven by money.

UNC is on tv a lot too. They have 18 national TV games against Duke's 23.

I'm pretty sure UNC merchandise outsells Duke's.

And as I said, I'm sure it largely depends on who they are playing, what other programming is on/available, and contract stipulations.

That's crap. dook schedules their own games, not the networks. Illinois is not asking to play in Chicago. If anything, dook is asking to play in Chicago for recruiting purposes.

The only neutral courts Carolina ever play on is Charlotte/Greensboro, or in a tournament. Otherwise, they schedule home-and-homes and they play road games. It has nothing to do with prestige. You keep believing that if it makes you feel better.

I agree with ejf - it's pretty much irrelevant, with the exception that dook gets top seeds (1's and 2's) instead of high seeds (3's and 4's) because of gaudy records that wouldn't be quite so gaudy if they played any real challenging road games.

Yeah, but whose fault is this?

Duke obviously doesn't need the road games to be tourney-tested. And if their road to the national championship is easier because of it, good for them. Maybe if UNC used a similar approach they'd have had a few more higher seeds and gotten a few more final 4s and national championships.

I'm pretty sure any Duke fan would easily trade bragging rights for "tougher schedule" in exchange for a deeper tourney run. I think UNC fans would too.

This year Duke team is not more talented than last years. Saying their young players might project to be be better in a few years does not mean they have more talent right now. It means they have more projectable talent, which I also doubt since last years team had two of the best 5 players or so in the country and the most talented current Dookie plus Nelson, who is second in current talent level.

This talent thing is really a BS argument anyway. Which team is better is what's important, I would say last year's Duke team was better, that's all that matters.

• Upvote 1

To imply Duke doesn't play a tough non conf schedule is a joke but i wouldn't expect less from UNC fans.

No one has implied that. We might imply that they don't play as hard a non-conference schedule as UNC. Or that the ranking of their non-conference schedule is skewed because none of their tough games are on the road. But we aren't suggesting that they play Clemson's non-conference schedule either.

All Seth was saying, and I agree, is that it's annoying for dook to play all theit best opponents on neutral courts, when it's likely they'd get a couple more losses each year if they ever played tough road games.

I didn't see the game..Those numbers are no good..Wonder why he only played 18 minutes.

However, anyone who has watched him lately has seen that he is getting back into playing shape and has played much better than early on.

Those numbers aren't even complete because they don't list turnovers. The turnovers are why he didn't play many minutes...he turned it over at least 7 or 8 times in the little bit he did play.

Watch Sportscenter tonight for the highlight where Deron Washington jumps COMPLETELY OVER Paulus to drive to the basket for a layup. That's one way to avoid being called for a charge!

By the way, exclusive Duke inside sources have provided us with the scoop on the brillian play Coach K diagrammed at the end of the game. Here it is:

http://i10.tinypic.com/2nbf0o2.jpg