OriolesManiac88

Chris Davis tested positive for amphetamines. (25 Game Ban)

Why did he do it?  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Why did he do it?

• ADHD
    • Performance

Yeah I know a guy in his 20s on cholesterol medication. They told to change his diet and come back in 3 months and if it hadn't gone down they would give him the mess. He continued to eat junk food and wouldn't walk a block even though I told him I would walk with him. People want an easy way out. Every drug you take is going to have side effects. Unless it essential to your health it isn't with taking.

Vetted, peer-reviewed epidemiological data relating statin use to reduced mortality risk in high-risk populations are wrong, but your hunch is definitely correct! (Note: statins can have side effects. Double note: statins aren't essential to the health of most people who take/have taken them, but they probably prevented strokes and heart attacks in a small minority of patients, so it's still worth it).

Edited by square634

If your kid is Schizophrenic put them on drugs. If you kid is having trouble concentrating in school don't give them drugs. What is insane is loading up a kid on drugs because he is being a boy. There are things you can do to help your kid concentrate better. Natural diet, no sugars like Apple juice, get plent of exercise, don't give them video games, limit tv to an hour a day, talk to them, make them read books every day. Every foster kid I had was raised by drug addicts but all of them that stayed more than a couple of weeks got their ADHD, aspergers, low iq diagnosis go away when they lived with us.

What is really ignorant is putting kids on anti depressants when their is no proof that kids with depression do better on drugs than off drugs.

And BTW I have a degree in Psychology among others.

But don't listen to me for advice with your own kid that is your decision.. Imam just some guy on the Internet.

I'll repeat...you don't know what you're talking about.

Who knows if you are, but you pretty clearly question the validity of any disease that you don't catch from some kind of bacteria or virus?

Schizophrenia, Anxiety disorders are pretty real. And I am sure there a few kids who actually have severe issues with concentration but they are in a small

Minority of kids with that they claim have AHDD.

Vetted, peer-reviewed epidemiological data relating statin use to reduced mortality risk in high-risk populations are wrong, but your hunch is definitely correct!

Did you not read what he wrote? He knows a guy!

Vetted, peer-reviewed epidemiological data relating statin use to reduced mortality risk in high-risk populations are wrong, but your hunch is definitely correct!

I am wrong to say someone should exercise and change his diet to include something besides fast food. I am guessing there are a lot more studies showing eating healthy and exercising are a lot more effective and healthier than taking drugs for cholesterol. And provide links to the studies.

I'll repeat...you don't know what you're talking about.

To be fair, a small slice of what he is saying makes some sense, in that environment can probably play a role in mental illness in some people.

I am wrong to say someone should exercise and change his diet to include something besides fast food. I am guessing there are a lot more studies showing eating healthy and exercising are a lot more effective and healthier than taking drugs for cholesterol. And provide links to the studies.

Yes, he should exercise and change his diet as the first most crucial step. He didn't, or couldn't.

People with COPD should just stop smoking, but we still treat them if they don't quit.

Some good links to start out with, which are meta-analyses cited in the American Heart Association's most recent guidelines (out of a total of 144 citations): here and here

Edited by square634

Yeah I know a guy in his 20s on cholesterol medication. They told to change his diet and come back in 3 months and if it hadn't gone down they would give him the mess. He continued to eat junk food and wouldn't walk a block even though I told him I would walk with him. People want an easy way out. Every drug you take is going to have side effects. Unless it essential to your health it isn't with taking.
So if he lacks the self discipline to diet and exercise, he should just die instead of having his life prolonged with a drug?

The fact that other alternatives can improve high cholesterol doesn't negate the efficacy of High cholesterol meds.

To be fair, a small slice of what he is saying makes some sense, in that environment can probably play a role in mental illness in some people.

I've already freely admitted that we tend to over diagnose and medicate in this country. My issue with him is the fact that he seems to think any and all mental illnesses are BS.

• Upvote 1

Vetted, peer-reviewed epidemiological data relating statin use to reduced mortality risk in high-risk populations are wrong, but your hunch is definitely correct! (Note: statins can have side effects. Double note: statins aren't essential to the health of most people who take/have taken them, but they probably prevented strokes and heart attacks in a small minority of patients, so it's still worth it).

I just read an article that their benefits aren't worth their risks but of course everyone would agree that a non drug solution to high cholesterol is better than a drug based solution and even if this guys heart attack is prevented and the drugs side effect aren't severe for him that isn't going to stop him from getting Diabetes in the future.

The fact that other alternatives can improve high cholesterol doesn't negate the efficacy of High cholesterol meds.

Eating white grapes has almost the exact same effect as Lipitor. And now I'm asking myself what this has to do with Chris Davis.

I've already freely admitted that we tend to over diagnose and medicate in this country. My issue with him is the fact that he seems to think any and all mental illnesses are BS.

I don't believe that at all I am just stating that most kids that are diagnosed with AHDD don't really have issues that require drugs. The number is too large and seems to be growing all the time. That is why I said don't take my advice for your kid I am talking in general too many kids are on drugs. If you have a kid who is hearing voices they certainly have a mental illness. If your kid isn't eating because they are depressed that is a mental illness.

I just read an article that their benefits aren't worth their risks but of course everyone would agree that a non drug solution to high cholesterol is better than a drug based solution and even if this guys heart attack is prevented and the drugs side effect aren't severe for him that isn't going to stop him from getting Diabetes in the future.

Yep, he will still have a high predisposition for diabetes. And if he is smart or fortunate enough to stay plugged into medical care, he will get treated for that with medicine, too. Rather than burden this thread further with medical banter, I'll just stop posting and encourage you to volunteer some time at Health Care for the Homeless or something similar to get a better view of some of the long-term sequelae of untreated diseases as people age into their 30s-40s and beyond. It may change your perspective in surprising ways.