Ripken

2015 Orioles

Off the top of my head, I believe in terms of WAR/game he was the best player in baseball this year. He was incredible. In 2013 he had a .775 OPS. If he OPS .775 next season while playing the same level of defense he is a ~4 win player. You have to at least give him a shot after the season he just had. As I said earlier, nothing was lucky about what he did. He changed his stance and he's been a different hitter ever since. At worst he can take Young's role from this season. In all likelihood he's a good everyday player. Upside, there's a chance he can compile a 5+ WAR again.

I disagree. I think Steve had a career year and his wrist issue is a constant concern. I want him on the team and if he has to play everyday due to injuries elsewhere then so be it but I want him as a platoon/backup who get around 300 AB's or so. I think the DH spot will be key for Delmon having a chance to be here or not. If they find a LH DH type then maybe they could keep Delmon. DD does a good job of finding value as well all know.

I'd much rather sign Morales than Martinez. Morales and Martinez from 2010-2013 were very similar. Martinez's HR/FB% jumped 10% from the last 2 seasons while Morales suffered an awful drop in BABIP even though his balls in play percentages were similar to his career norms. Morales won't cost a pick and will come much cheaper. I bet he'd love to come here and rebuild his value on a 1 year deal like Cruz did.

I kinda like that thinking, actually. And it's more in line with something that might actually happen. No way we're signing V. Mart.

Morales would be a very DD signing. He had such an off year last year. But you gotta believe he's going to bounce back. If they could extend Davis on the cheap(ish), resign Cruz and sign Morales, that's be interesting.

Markakis

Machado

Jones

Davis

Cruz

Morales

Wieters

Hardy

Schoop

Hmm.

With apologies if this is misplaced and should've been it's own thread, because I'm struggling to cope, I did a quick review of free agents this coming off season.

You can find a full list, at present, of this year's projected free agents:

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/02/2015-mlb-free-agents.html

Who do you like and think the O's pursue? I think the best fit is Melky Cabrera, but he'll get a boatload of money and sign with a team in NY, LA, or Boston. Tough time seeing us go after him...

More realistically, a couple guys I'm interested in sniffing around (assuming, as I expect, we try but cannot resign Cruz and let Markakis walk, which admittedly may not be a sound assumption):

- Kendrys Morales, switch hitter who is still young-ish but has put up consistent numbers before this year. Decent average, decent OBP. Brings no speed, but a capable switch hitter that shouldn't come up too high a price, which may be his best asset. Could maybe get him for a decent bargain because he struggled this year? He's a bargain-ish guy that I think could bring really good value.

- Asdrubal Cabrera - Again, a capable switch hitter with decent OBP, though the biggest issue is obviously where he plays. Regardless, fits in the lineup, if not on the field. Likely not happening because he's got no position with us, though. I like his game, though, and what he'd bring to the lineup.

- Emilio Bonifacio - Perhaps the most likely of these three guys, he is a passable switch hitter (about .261 career BA and .319 career OBP) but is versatile (2B, 3B, and OF) and can steal bases (stolen 40, 30, 28, 26 bags the last four years). Still relatively young at 29, I know we've had interest in him previously and may bring a nice dimension to the offense while not breaking the bank. Kind of think we go after him aggressively.

Anybody else you see on the list of free agents that you'd like us to pursue?

Help me forget the last week with some talk about the '15 O's...

So you want to keep basically the same team

Of veterans, yet you expect them to change their approach at the plate?

Same lineup? I didn't see machado, MW, or Chris Davis out there. Bring Cruz back. Give miller closer money to stay. New closer. Non tender Matusz and hunter. Gausman starts in the rotation day 1. Make a run at Lester

I disagree. I think Steve had a career year and his wrist issue is a constant concern. I want him on the team and if he has to play everyday due to injuries elsewhere then so be it but I want him as a platoon/backup who get around 300 AB's or so. I think the DH spot will be key for Delmon having a chance to be here or not. If they find a LH DH type then maybe they could keep Delmon. DD does a good job of finding value as well all know.

I think you at least need to give him the chance to play everyday to prove if this season was a fluke or not because he was Mike Trout-esque this season in terms of the WAR he generated in his playing time. People thought he was done after the ASB when he scuffled badly but then he rebounded and finished the year on a tear. That gives me some hope that it wasn't a complete fluke. There are no guarantees but he has earned the chance to prove this season wasn't a fluke and his upside offensively and defensively is too high to not give him that chance.

With apologies if this is misplaced and should've been it's own thread, because I'm struggling to cope, I did a quick review of free agents this coming off season.

Who do you like and think the O's pursue? I think the best fit is Melky Cabrera, but he'll get a boatload of money and sign with a team in NY, LA, or Boston. Tough time seeing us go after him...

More realistically, a couple guys I'm interested in sniffing around (assuming, as I expect, we try but cannot resign Cruz and let Markakis walk, which admittedly may not be a sound assumption):

- Kendrys Morales, switch hitter who is still young-ish but has put up consistent numbers before this year. Decent average, decent OBP. Brings no speed, but a capable switch hitter that shouldn't come up too high a price, which may be his best asset. Could maybe get him for a decent bargain because he struggled this year? He's a bargain-ish guy that I think could bring really good value.

- Asdrubal Cabrera - Again, a capable switch hitter with decent OBP, though the biggest issue is obviously where he plays. Regardless, fits in the lineup, if not on the field. Likely not happening because he's got no position with us, though. I like his game, though, and what he'd bring to the lineup.

- Emilio Bonifacio - Perhaps the most likely of these three guys, he is a passable switch hitter (about .261 career BA and .319 career OBP) but is versatile (2B, 3B, and OF) and can steal bases (stolen 40, 30, 28, 26 bags the last four years). Still relatively young at 29, I know we've had interest in him previously and may bring a nice dimension to the offense while not breaking the bank. Kind of think we go after him aggressively.

Morales

---------

Gregerson

Hochevar

Uehara

Duke

If Miller isn't resigned^

What can the O's do this offseason, really? Davis, Markakis, Cruz, and Miller are the only players of consequence with question marks attached to them right now. I think it'd be foolish to give a 34 y/o Cruz a multiyear deal (I mean, he's certainly earned a payday, but let him collect it elsewhere). I think Davis will be back. I'd be shocked if Markakis isn't back. And I think Miller is likely gone (though I'd certainly love to see him back, especially since I want Matusz nowhere near the ML roster next season).

With those few issues in mind, I think we're going to see basically the same team next season, with the (hopefully healthy) additions of Wieters and Machado. Will that team be able to compete with a presumably-healthy and restocked Yankees; a slightly older, wiser, and healthier Rays; and also the troublesome Jays/Red Sox? Who knows? But the only pricey FA who even remotely interests me is Tomas, and Markakis will likely be playing his position next year.

So...we've got the same, hard-fighting, tremendously flawed offensive, incredibly gifted defensive team with mostly the same crop of pitchers who were just good enough to get the O's to the ALCS (and yes, given the state of the AL East in 2014, I think it's fair to say "just good enough" despite the large division lead).

The bullpen could clearly use some strengthening, so any "major" moves I'd think would take place there. Apart from that, I think we're bound to see mostly the same things we saw this year, for better or worse.

Its going to be very quiet for a very long time.

I think the O's sign Nick right after the WS. They may bring back Delmon Young. They will pick a player in the rule 5 draft. That is the O's activity until Feb. when DD goes bargain hunting. I have no idea who will be left that the O's may sign. There will be a bunch of minor leaguers to fill out the AAA roster. Some will have options.

The O's will be on the lookout for a lefthanded reliever that can get righties and lefties out. They will not go after Andrew Miller. Too expensive.

To me, they need a true TOR starter and need to put the ball in play more. You saw in this series what happens when you out the ball in play. Swinging for the fences will only take you so far.

Kevin Gausman will fill that role next year.

To me, they need a true TOR starter and need to put the ball in play more. You saw in this series what happens when you out the ball in play. Swinging for the fences will only take you so far.

I hate the O's offensive approach. I hate it. I hate the feast/famine, score runs in bunches when the ball leaves the Yard (and few-to-none when it doesn't) style of baseball.

That said (and it's been said many times over the last few days), the Royals hit their fair share of balls out of the park this postseason, including several against the Orioles. They didn't "small ball" the O's to death, and the O's didn't fail to put a gigantic number of balls in play relative to the Royals. The Royals simply hit the ball to the right part(s) of the ballpark more often than the O's did.

But again, I generally hate the O's offensive approach...I just don't think it has any chance whatsoever of changing on a team-wide scale between now and next April.

Is Chris Davis is a non-tender possibility?

Would some combination of Pearce/Walker/Urritia/random guy come close to his 2014 production for about $10 million less?

Better chance they tender him a contract and trade him then be a non-tender.

LF Alejandro De Aza

RF Nick Markakis

SS JJ Hardy

3B Manny Machado

DH Nellie Cruz

CF Adam Jones

1B Chris Davis

C Matt Wieters

2B Jonathan Schoop

SP: Tillman, Bud, Chen, Miguelito, Gausman, Ubaldo

Pen: O'Day, Britton, Miller, Brach, TJ, Hunter, ptbnl

Booth: Thorne, Palmer

Payroll: Big, because Angelos realizes that being better than the Nats is what makes him truly happy.

Its going to be very quiet for a very long time.

I think the O's sign Nick right after the WS. They may bring back Delmon Young. They will pick a player in the rule 5 draft. That is the O's activity until Feb. when DD goes bargain hunting. I have no idea who will be left that the O's may sign. There will be a bunch of minor leaguers to fill out the AAA roster. Some will have options.

The O's will be on the lookout for a lefthanded reliever that can get righties and lefties out. They will not go after Andrew Miller. Too expensive.

Zach Duke!