hutchead

Why is length of games so important?

All I'm hearing is how the length of games in MLB is a tremendous concern and the top priority of the new commissioner, Manfred, is to find ways to reduce the time of games. I personally don't understand this concern. As much as it costs to see a game these days, I don't feel like I got my money's worth when a game flies by and ends in 2 1/2 hours. I like as long an experience as possible to get more bang for my buck. Even better if it goes extra innings. Now I understand I may be in the minority as I live five hours away and don't get to see that many games. I might see things differently if I were a season ticket holder and went to every home game. Or if things were like they were in the good old days. I remember being able to buy bleacher seats at Memorial Stadium for under a buck. These days, it costs $200 or more to take your family to a game and have decent seats so I want my money's worth.

Baseball is, and always will be, 27 outs per side. Longer games do not mean more baseball, it means more conferences at the mound, more watching managers peer into the dugout to see if they should challenge a play, more players fidgeting.

It will always be a thinking man's game, but there is no reason we can't move it along a little bit.

The overall time of the game doesn't really seem to be the issue to me. Heck I don't even really notice. I think the issue is the glacial pace of play that you can get with certain teams, pitchers, or hitters. Throw pitch, walk to back of mound rub ball, get some rosin, rub ball some more kick dirt, think about stepping on the rubber, change your mind, step on rubber, shake off 3 signs, step off, re-start process. A lot of hitters aren't any better, somehow taking a pitch requires you to damn near go back in the clubhouse and get redressed because apparently everything has moved out of place. For me I say absolutely BRING ON THE PITCH CLOCK.

Count me as someone who wants the game speeded up. There are only about 15 minutes of actual action in a baseball game (fact), and prolonging the time between pitches with batters stepping out and fiddling with their batting gloves and pitchers wandering around off the mound is a complete bore. That stuff adds nothing to the game.

For me its not length of the game that is of concern.

Its wasted time, as Frobby points out. Change the rules to minimize wasted time. Keep things moving during the game.

Pitching changes is a big one. Find a way to speed up the 'call to the bullpen'. Especially when they use like 9 pitches in 2 innings.

Buck pointed out (interview around Sept 1) how many more pitcher changes occur when rosters expand, I think that is something to look at, keeping a 25 man roster throughout the season.

The overall time of the game doesn't really seem to be the issue to me. Heck I don't even really notice. I think the issue is the glacial pace of play that you can get with certain teams, pitchers, or hitters. Throw pitch, walk to back of mound rub ball, get some rosin, rub ball some more kick dirt, think about stepping on the rubber, change your mind, step on rubber, shake off 3 signs, step off, re-start process. A lot of hitters aren't any better, somehow taking a pitch requires you to damn near go back in the clubhouse and get redressed because apparently everything has moved out of place. For me I say absolutely BRING ON THE PITCH CLOCK.

This EXACTLY. I don't mind long games as long as the reason the game is 3.5 hours is because of things actually happening. The pitchers take long enough that you can even see the fielders get bored, which is bad for everyone.

For me its not length of the game that is of concern.

Its wasted time, as Frobby points out. Change the rules to minimize wasted time. Keep things moving during the game.

Pitching changes is a big one. Find a way to speed up the 'call to the bullpen'. Especially when they use like 9 pitches in 2 innings.

Buck pointed out (interview around Sept 1) how many more pitcher changes occur when rosters expand, I think that is something to look at, keeping a 25 man roster throughout the season.

I'm pretty sure that the new rules allow the relief pitcher one and a half minutes to get from the bullpen to the mound.

This should help speed up the pitching changes.

I don't think that keeping the rosters from being expanded will fly, ( Players Association) In addition I believe that the new rule change will help speed things up next September.

I'm not bothered by the length of the game myself. But I do think having shorter games with shorter gaps between the action will help baseball appeal to a wider audience. The number one complaint people have about baseball is that it's too long, too boring. So I think making the game faster paced is good for the health of the game in a long-term way.

As previously stated it's because to attract the younger generation.

And you cant have a pitching clock unless you also have some clock/rule that makes the batter stay in the box

And you cant have a pitching clock unless you also have some clock/rule that makes the batter stay in the box

I'm not bothered by the length of the game myself. But I do think having shorter games with shorter gaps between the action will help baseball appeal to a wider audience. The number one complaint people have about baseball is that it's too long, too boring. So I think making the game faster paced is good for the health of the game in a long-term way.
[/b]

I'm pretty sure that the new rules allow the relief pitcher one and a half minutes to get from the bullpen to the mound.

This should help speed up the pitching changes.

I don't think that keeping the rosters from being expanded will fly, ( Players Association) In addition I believe that the new rule change will help speed things up next September.

By new rules I presume you are referring to what is being tested in the Arizona Fall League?

They are being aggressive about it. I'm sure the actual numbers will vary based on the results. Also, I suspect we won't actually see a 'shot clock' on an MLB field, that would be distracting. That would probably be controlled by an umpire in the booth.

Per the 40 man roster thing, Buck's suggestion was to allow rosters to expand to 40, but teams would have to declare a 25 man roster for each series so they don't have 40 players available each game.

Four hour sporting events are way too freaking long. No one is talking about going seven innings or anything, they want to cut out the stuff no one will miss.

The batter falls under the same rule. The rules are currently being tried in the Arizona Fall league.

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/97180888/pace-of-game-initiatives-to-be-tested-at-arizona-fall-league

Like many of you have said, I think it is geared towards the younger generation.

But the bigger point to me isn't about the length of the game, but rather the time of game.

It's ridiculous that games are starting so late. There is no reason why they can't startthese games an hour earlier. It's unreasonable for the average fan to stay up until midnight if they have no rooting interest.

I realize that West Coast teams have an impact with game times, but it was the same way with Midwest/East coast teams.

All I'm hearing is how the length of games in MLB is a tremendous concern and the top priority of the new commissioner, Manfred, is to find ways to reduce the time of games. I personally don't understand this concern. As much as it costs to see a game these days, I don't feel like I got my money's worth when a game flies by and ends in 2 1/2 hours. I like as long an experience as possible to get more bang for my buck. Even better if it goes extra innings. Now I understand I may be in the minority as I live five hours away and don't get to see that many games. I might see things differently if I were a season ticket holder and went to every home game. Or if things were like they were in the good old days. I remember being able to buy bleacher seats at Memorial Stadium for under a buck. These days, it costs $200 or more to take your family to a game and have decent seats so I want my money's worth.
Count me as someone who wants the game speeded up. There are only about 15 minutes of actual action in a baseball game (fact), and prolonging the time between pitches with batters stepping out and fiddling with their batting gloves and pitchers wandering around off the mound is a complete bore. That stuff adds nothing to the game.

As I mentioned in the Adam Dunn Ruined Baseball thread, the four World Series games in 1950 averaged well under 3:00 each. Pretty close to 2:30, and that included a 10-inning game at 3:05. Baseball has a very long history of playing two, two-and-a-half hour games. Many other sports fall right in line with that. With few exceptions you get about that length of game for the other major sports that play more than once a week - basketball, hockey, soccer. That's what general sports fans are accustomed to.

For me, a 3+ hour game means that my kids rarely watch an O's game past the 4th or 5th inning. If they're anywhere but the East Coast they probably don't watch it at all. I get up for work before 6 am, so I'm nodding off when the game gets past 10 pm, I'm stretching things to watch the end of many O's home games. Central I'm out by mid-game, and West Coast is pretty much a non-starter, I'm checking the score in the morning. Playoff games were crazy - my 7-year-old actually stayed up until after midnight with me because one of the games happened to be on a weekend, but that's the exception, not the rule.

Yes, I know that shorter games only help a bit with some of this, but a 2:30 game means a couple extra innings before lights out, and the occasional 2:00 weeknight game my kids could see to the end.

How do you attract kids to baseball when they rarely see the end of a game? Or even the sixth inning?

Oh, and even if I score some good tickets or there's a Hangout night, weeknight games are no gos for me except on very rare occasions. I'm two+ hours from Baltimore on a weeknight, and a game that ends at 10:30 means I'm not getting home until 1 am. A 9:30 stop time means I'm home by midnight and I have some chance of being functional at work.

You can argue what you want.

But, with today's generation, kids (anybody under 30) are bored easier and do not have a desire to devout four hours to a game.

The same kids, can sit and watch a full football game, I guess because there is more action for them.

You can argue what you want.

But, with today's generation, kids (anybody under 30) are bored easier and do not have a desire to devout four hours to a game.

The same kids, can sit and watch a full football game, I guess because there is more action for them.

There isn't more action in a football game, just more violence. A football game has about 11 minutes of actual action, while baseball has about 14 minutes of action. Either way, you are spending the vast majority of the time watching commercials, replays, and people standing around.

But I'm 57 and I'm not at all happy that the average baseball game is 30-45 minutes longer than when I was a kid. It's unnecessary.

It could be six hours for me. I'd still enjoy it. Television would like it around three hours for national scheduling.

Totally agree weams. One of the beautiful things about baseball is there's no clock - that's why we have records for shortest and longest games ever, just adds to the lore of the game.

I think it would be a tragic mistake for baseball to install some type of clock between pitches.