Greg

Buck tells 1057TheFan. Orioles are currently working on deals for Cruz & Markakis.

Who says we have a budget crunch? We spent 115 M last season and DD says the payroll will go up. Before picking up options we are currently at 85M and that includes estimated arb. for both Wieters and Davis.

We will definitely pick up Chen and most likely O'Day. That would take us to about $95m. That gives us $20m to sign Nick and Cruz if we keep payroll flat. Not going to happen. Trade Bud and non-tender Matusz makes it do-able.

We will definitely pick up Chen and most likely O'Day. That would take us to about $95m. That gives us $20m to sign Nick and Cruz if we keep payroll flat. Not going to happen. Trade Bud and non-tender Matusz makes it do-able.

I think $120MM is probably the baseline for 2015, given last year's payroll, the increases from 2012-13, 2013-14, and the fact that they've indicated another bump in payroll.

If I'm rolling the dice I'd rather take a chance on Davis at 1/11 than on Cruz for three or four years and a higher average annual value.

Strongly agree with this - I love Cruz for what he did this year, and he was a huge part of our success, but we're going to be paying premium prices for the premium numbers he put up. And as an aging slugger with a history of some health problems (and, of course, the PED suspension history), I'm not sure I want to go big with resigning Cruz. If we could get him on a favorable deal, then I'm listening.

Much rather hope that Davis has a bounce back year. He is just one year removed from leading the league in homers and (I think) RBI. Don't think you just non-tender that.

How about instead of dumping useful players, such as Davis, Norris and Hunter, to clear up payroll in order to retain a 35 year old DH coming off a career year, we instead do not sign the 35 year old DH coming off a career year and keep the useful players and acquire a high value draft pick? This would spread the risk around financially, eliminate any risk beyond 2015 and just generally give the team more flexibility going forward. Cruz was a great signing. Let's not screw it up now.

How about instead of dumping useful players, such as Davis, Norris and Hunter, to clear up payroll in order to retain a 35 year old DH coming off a career year, we instead do not sign the 35 year old DH coming off a career year and keep the useful players and acquire a high value draft pick? This would spread the risk around financially, eliminate any risk beyond 2015 and just generally give the team more flexibility going forward. Cruz was a great signing. Let's not screw it up now.

My not wanting Hunter back has nothing to do with Cruz. I just don't want to pay 4 million + for a RP that doesn't strike guys out.

Reimold? Surely you jest. If he had anything left how come TOR didn't keep him?

Well he is a minor league free agent now. Toronto didn't have a spot for him after EE came back of DL. They probably would have kept him in minors and brought him back in September if Arizona hadn't claimed him.

I'm not wedded to Cruz. If we could find a lefty power bat to take his place I would be all over it. Someone asked if Cruz//Markakis as proposed would put us over $135m and this is just suggesting what would have to happen for the dollars to work out.

I do think Norris coming off a career year is a "sell high" candidate that could get a pretty good return, while he is somewhat redundant for us with five other legit starters. We are very weak on position player prospects right now. That is my thinking in terms of trading him, all the more so if doing so would help us retain Cruz or bring in someone comparable.

18 million a year for a DH?

Yikes!

My sentiments exactly. Let's not tie up big money on a DH.

I'd rather use those kind of dollars instead for a better left-field option. Someone that plays great defense, offers solid OBP, speed and could hit lead-off. I don't know who that is though. I think we have enough power with Wieters and Davis coming back and hopefully a full season w/Machado.

Thinking of the lineup next year without Cruz in it worries me, though obviously I'm not as high on a Davis return to glory like a lot of people here are. I don't see us with a true cleanup hitter without him, and I'd much rather spend our money on having that guy in the middle of our lineup for the next 3 years.