Sign in to follow this  
Baroquen131

Short rants.

Here is the thing about the crime in Baltimore and the feeling of "safety" near Camden Yards...

Very, very little crime actually occurs AT, or directly near Camden Yards/M&T Bank Stadium. There are police everywhere, you just might not see them as they aren't in uniform or out in the open.

Now, as far as stuff like the squeegee boys, the homeless population, and groups around the Inner Harbor/Fells Point and other areas nearby...That is stuff that DOES need to be cleaned up. But it also means being smart.

I could take the Light Rail train for free and ride to the stadium. I did that a few times and ended up helping my coworkers twice in situations. I decided driving was better. You just have to be smart.

Don't feel safe parking by the Harbor? Come a bit early and park in the Orioles/M&T lot. Walk with groups of fans. Don't want to take 83 and come down Presidents Street or MLK? If you can avoid it, take 95 to 395, which drops you right into the parking area at the stadiums. Then when you leave, drive by the Camden Light Rail and hop on 395/95 if you are able to. You avoid the entire issue of the homeless and squeegee boys, plus you are leaving with a large group of fans.

I've worked in the sh*tty areas (Penn North, Upton, Mondawmin (both areas before and after the riots, as a single officer on foot patrol), Hartford Road/Bel Air Road corridor, the Lexington Market area), chased people through the projects, ect. Even after doing that, I still look around and avoid areas.

More "bad" stuff has happened during Steelers/Ravens games and in the parking lots than anything I have seen during any Orioles game (the "pre riot" crap that one game doesn't count here, because it was a clusterf*ck to say the least and shouldn't of been allowed to happen).

Now, I'm not saying something COULDN'T happen, but having such a big fear of the immediate area at and around Camden is overblown. Spend the few dollars and park at the stadium.

There is a difference between feeling "uncomfortable" and being in danger. If you are somewhere you don't go to a lot, or in an environment you aren't used to, you can be "uncomfortable" without being in danger.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, SouthRider said:

Thanks for sharing.  I live in Northern Va.  I haven't been to an O's game in a few years.   About a year ago I had a job based in Philadelphia. I took Amtrak through Baltimore once or twice a month.  From the train I saw sections of the city I have never seem before.  It looked like post World War II Europe.  One of the reasons I eventually quit that job is I got tired of seeing this on my train trip each time.  

Ah yes, going to and from the West Baltimore Marc.

I made the final payment on my 30-year mortgage in March and thought I’d be enjoying some extra cash flow without that monthly expense.    My wife convinced me to spend some money refinishing our wood floors, which were pretty tired looking.    Then one of the eaves over our bedroom window started warping, then cracked and a piece fell off, and it turns out some wood had rotted and a whole section had to be replaced.    Then my wife noticed a leak in one of our kids’ old bedrooms, had a roofer look at it and the whole roof needs to be replaced!    And, I’m being told we really should replace our 8 skylights at the same time because they only have a few years of life in them and they’re easier to replace while the shingles are off the roof!

Bottom line, this series of home repairs will cost me about 18 months worth of mortgage payments.    So much for cash flow!

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

I made the final payment on my 30-year mortgage in March and thought I’d be enjoying some extra cash flow without that monthly expense.    My wife convinced me to spend some money refinishing our wood floors, which were pretty tired looking.    Then one of the eaves over our bedroom window started warping, then cracked and a piece fell off, and it turns out some wood had rotted and a whole section had to be replaced.    Then my wife noticed a leak in one of our kids’ old bedrooms, had a roofer look at it and the whole roof needs to be replaced!    And, I’m being told we really should replace our 8 skylights at the same time because they only have a few years of life in them and they’re easier to replace while the shingles are off the roof!

Bottom line, this series of home repairs will cost me about 18 months worth of mortgage payments.    So much for cash flow!

Just think if you hadn't had paid off your mortgage yet and you had those repairs.  

On 6/12/2019 at 2:51 PM, Frobby said:

I feel your pain. Being a home owner, you are always finding ways to spend money on your HAVC, roof, windows, it seams to never end. :)

I teased the wife, I wanted to retire and move to a 1 bedroom apartment, with no home owner responsibility. :)

Image that, another rant from me about idiot drivers.

UGH

I do not care if you love driving midget cars, that is your constitution right and freedom, enjoy.

But, why the hell, is your little smart car/fiat/mini cooper, do you feel the need to swing left into my lane of travel, just so you can turn right?

Those thing happen to maneveur quite well, and that is totally unnecessary and dangerous driving skill that you have acquired.

I legitimately can not stand how sappy happy everyone is during the holidays. The only good Christmas specials and movies are Charlie brown, the original Grinch (Jim Carey is to damn obnoxious), Christmas vacation, Die hard, Home alone and a Christmas story. Everything else is either to sappy or to stupid.  

On 12/5/2019 at 6:05 PM, MDtransplant757 said:

I hate Calculus. I'm never going to use this again, why do I need it? 

That is what I said about Linear Algebra and then I used it for work even before I graduated.  Is this high school or college? If college what is your major?

On 12/3/2019 at 11:15 PM, MDtransplant757 said:

I legitimately can not stand how sappy happy everyone is during the holidays. The only good Christmas specials and movies are Charlie brown, the original Grinch (Jim Carey is to damn obnoxious), Christmas vacation, Die hard, Home alone and a Christmas story. Everything else is either to sappy or to stupid.  

Die hard is not a Christmas movie.   Christmas Vacation, Home Alone , Christmas Story, Trapped in Paradise are the ones we watch every year.  Elf isn't bad.  Bad Santa is entertaining. 

On 12/10/2019 at 2:16 PM, atomic said:

Die hard is not a Christmas movie.   Christmas Vacation, Home Alone , Christmas Story, Trapped in Paradise are the ones we watch every year.  Elf isn't bad.  Bad Santa is entertaining. 

Yes it is.  It even has it's own tree topper.

DZyGZrdU0AA1I85.jpg

On 12/10/2019 at 2:16 PM, atomic said:

Yes it is.

giphy.gif

HO-HO-HO.

2 hours ago, MongoBoy said:

Yes it is.

giphy.gif

HO-HO-HO.

I had never seen Die Hard until about 5 years ago when someone in a bar told me I looked like Karl.  So I checked it out.  Not my cup of tea.  Although I like the guys from Workaholics spoof of it. 

On 12/10/2019 at 2:15 PM, atomic said:

That is what I said about Linear Algebra and then I used it for work even before I graduated.  Is this high school or college? If college what is your major?

College, economics. Like I’m going to be using like 1 or 2 plug n chug theorems but I don’t need engineering calc. Got a B in it, so it’s whatever