Sign in to follow this  
Baroquen131

Short rants.

I'm not really sure if this is a "rant" or a PSA to build your own computer, but here we go ...

The day after Thanksgiving, my older budget graphics card (GT 730) started dying on me.  Without going into too much detail, it seems to be the really cheap heat sink/fan combo on the card.  So, I need to replace it ... easy, right?  Wrong ...

- 1. Hunting for the right graphics card -

First place I check is a little Mom-N-Pop computer parts/repair shop in Bel AIr.  Nope. Nothing there.
Next, Best Buy.  Not much selection and most of it seemed way over priced.
Next, Micro Center in Parkville.  Huge selection, but pricing still seemed high.  I expected that, but I mostly went here to ask questions anyway.
Final stop was online (It's 2018.  This, honestly, should have been my first and only stop)  I decided on the GTX 1050 Ti FTW and bought it from Amazon.

- 2. Power Supply - 

The graphics card gets here 2 days later and I go to install it.  I take the side plate off the PC and I immediately realize my problem.  This was a pre-built PC and, if you know anything about PC's, you know that pre-built systems always have a crappy power supply.  It's a cheap, 250W PS that literally only has two power cables coming out of it; both going into the motherboard.  One for the processor (it's an Intel)  and the other for the MB itself.  The HDD and optical drive are on the same power cable that actually connects to the MB.  The MB has PCI-E slots, but the PS doesn't even have PCI-E power connections.  So, now I have to hunt for a cheap/decent power supply.

I didn't want to wait several days again, so looked online at Best Buy and they had exactly what I wanted .. and it was $30 ... and in the store!  So, I go to the Bel Air store, but don't see it on the shelves.  I ask an associate and he spends 20 minutes looking all over the place.  He can't find it, but says that White Marsh has it.  Drive out to White Marsh and basically have the same exact experience I did at the Bel Air store.  Every other PS at both stores was more than double the price ($60 - $100), so I drive out to Micro Center in Parkville.  Again.  Find exactly what I want on sale for $40.

- 3. New Problem - 

I get home and immediately open the case.  I start pulling connections and immediately notice a new problem.  The MB power connection is only 10 pins.  Literally EVERY computer I've ever opened and looked at has a 20/24 pin connection.  The PS I bought, like EVERY PS I have ever seen, has a 20/24 pin connection.  I look it up online and, apparently, Lenovo uses this proprietary connection on most/all of their MB's.  So, now I need a 20pin-10pin adapter.  I had to go out anyway for groceries, so I stopped at the little Mom-N-Pop shop again.  Nope.  Stopped at Best Buy.  Dude had no idea what I was talking about.  Even Micro Center didn't have it.  Looked online and bought one at Amazon.  Sure enough, every single review is from someone who bought a Lenovo system.  Now, I'm stuck waiting another two days for this adapter.  Hopefully, this is the last problem and I can get this graphics card installed.

Long story, short ... ALWAYS build your own PC if you can.  I wouldn't have had any of the problems I've had if I had just built this system myself.  Pre-built systems always have cheap/crappy parts, proprietary connections/MB layouts and are filled with a million things that make you say, "WTF, why would anyone do this or think this is ok?"

On 12/3/2018 at 10:58 PM, Elbren said:

I'm not really sure if this is a "rant" or a PSA to build your own computer, but here we go ...

The day after Thanksgiving, my older budget graphics card (GT 730) started dying on me.  Without going into too much detail, it seems to be the really cheap heat sink/fan combo on the card.  So, I need to replace it ... easy, right?  Wrong ...

- 1. Hunting for the right graphics card -

First place I check is a little Mom-N-Pop computer parts/repair shop in Bel AIr.  Nope. Nothing there.
Next, Best Buy.  Not much selection and most of it seemed way over priced.
Next, Micro Center in Parkville.  Huge selection, but pricing still seemed high.  I expected that, but I mostly went here to ask questions anyway.
Final stop was online (It's 2018.  This, honestly, should have been my first and only stop)  I decided on the GTX 1050 Ti FTW and bought it from Amazon.

- 2. Power Supply - 

The graphics card gets here 2 days later and I go to install it.  I take the side plate off the PC and I immediately realize my problem.  This was a pre-built PC and, if you know anything about PC's, you know that pre-built systems always have a crappy power supply.  It's a cheap, 250W PS that literally only has two power cables coming out of it; both going into the motherboard.  One for the processor (it's an Intel)  and the other for the MB itself.  The HDD and optical drive are on the same power cable that actually connects to the MB.  The MB has PCI-E slots, but the PS doesn't even have PCI-E power connections.  So, now I have to hunt for a cheap/decent power supply.

I didn't want to wait several days again, so looked online at Best Buy and they had exactly what I wanted .. and it was $30 ... and in the store!  So, I go to the Bel Air store, but don't see it on the shelves.  I ask an associate and he spends 20 minutes looking all over the place.  He can't find it, but says that White Marsh has it.  Drive out to White Marsh and basically have the same exact experience I did at the Bel Air store.  Every other PS at both stores was more than double the price ($60 - $100), so I drive out to Micro Center in Parkville.  Again.  Find exactly what I want on sale for $40.

- 3. New Problem - 

I get home and immediately open the case.  I start pulling connections and immediately notice a new problem.  The MB power connection is only 10 pins.  Literally EVERY computer I've ever opened and looked at has a 20/24 pin connection.  The PS I bought, like EVERY PS I have ever seen, has a 20/24 pin connection.  I look it up online and, apparently, Lenovo uses this proprietary connection on most/all of their MB's.  So, now I need a 20pin-10pin adapter.  I had to go out anyway for groceries, so I stopped at the little Mom-N-Pop shop again.  Nope.  Stopped at Best Buy.  Dude had no idea what I was talking about.  Even Micro Center didn't have it.  Looked online and bought one at Amazon.  Sure enough, every single review is from someone who bought a Lenovo system.  Now, I'm stuck waiting another two days for this adapter.  Hopefully, this is the last problem and I can get this graphics card installed.

Long story, short ... ALWAYS build your own PC if you can.  I wouldn't have had any of the problems I've had if I had just built this system myself.  Pre-built systems always have cheap/crappy parts, proprietary connections/MB layouts and are filled with a million things that make you say, "WTF, why would anyone do this or think this is ok?"

newegg.com is a great place to find computer parts, and very fast shipping.

I even got a really fast cheap nolabel harddrive from amazon for next to nothing. got another year out of my computer before the MB fried. pulled the harddrive, ordered a 19.95 external usb case and threw that drive into it, and plugged it into my new dell, and have a great backup drive with a ton of space.

Elevator usage 101

• If the lift is full, wait for the next car, dont shove your fat butt onto it.
  • If you are standing in the doorway of the elevator and the doors open, and its not your floor, move the heck out of the way for people behind you.
  • if the lift opens, how about letting people off, before you try and shove your way inside the car.
  • be considerate of your oversize purse or backpack. its not fun getting hit, because you dont care about doing so.

On 12/19/2018 at 3:17 PM, Redskins Rick said:

Elevator usage 101

• if the lift opens, how about letting people off, before you try and shove your way inside the car.

This is so annoying when people do that.  Also people backing in to parking lot spaces.  

Okay ! Let's get down to it guys !

If you listened to the morning guys on 105.7 this week you would never go to another Oriole game at OP. The crime is so out of hand you almost have to carry a gun which is okay until you get to the Park but you can't gain entrance with it.  Between the squeegee boys who are spreading out now and the active homeless people walking around not just sitting on the sidewalks you can't go one block downtown without being approached and fearing for your personal safety.  I've told my season ticket rep or Birdland Membership rep their new name about this and they say they will pass it on. 

Ed Norris said he was told by other policemen the mayor formed a group of 3 black female police officers to chase the squeegee boys away. After a few days she felt sorry for them and ended this group. She chose black officers so if arrests were made it would not look racial. That's what he was told.  He said it on air.  Another caller said he was in a small group of 4 or 5 people who were exiting a downtown restaurant and two guys approached them asking for money.There were women in their group. One of the bad guys threatened to hit one of the women over the head with a bottle he was carrying if they didn't give them money. They didn't say how it ended.  Several minorities who called in after hearing most of the callers over a two to three hour period said they had been thinking about moving to the county but they had helped them make up their mind the other morning. They said they were moving. In case you don't know the population has dropped from about 1.2 million in the city to around 600,000 and continuing to drop. Over 300 are killed each year.

Are the Orioles going to have to become a day game team in the future with all games no later than 3 PM ?  I am a season ticket holder as most of you know. I park on the lot between Oriole Park and M & T in B/C Section.  I have never seen a police officer or armed security guard on those lots.  I have walked out of the park at night deliberately delaying my walk time so that I would be walking with others down through the lots. I have passed this on to my ticket rep and she says it's outside people who run the lots. They have to follow their policies in so many words.  I had a battle with a squeegee boy about two summers ago and I was with another guy who was in my front passenger seat as we made our way to Oriole Park.. This was at the bottom of the JFX near Lombard St. I waved him off as he approached my Jeep and he gestured and started yelling at me.  He sprayed my windshield and I had my driver window down about an inch or so and he came up to my side window and we both exchanged words and he sprayed my side window trying to spray me in the face.  Fortunately I only received some of the spray as it was up most of the way. The woman who called the TV stations a few weeks ago to report a similar incident and called the police who arrested the guys over on the other side of Oriole Park  had her window down and got sprayed in the face. When I had my incident my friend said to me several times calm down, calm down he might have a gun. Somebody is going to get hurt soon. I thought about swinging my car door into him but decided against it.

The governor announced this week changes were coming to Baltimore and the downtown area. He admitted it's gotten totally out of hand.That was Wednesday I think and on Friday on air Ed Norris said he had seen more incidents on Thursday. I guess the new police have not moved into action yet.

Now ! back to Roy's post title. Why should a season ticket holder or any fan get excited about this team?  My suggestions are short term. One year! What is wrong with that.? Sign a low cost free agent to help us be competitive until our AA and AAA guys are ready.t If I want to see the Bowie Baysox or Norfolk teams I can drive to their games instead.  They said attendance was down about 6000 per game last season.  How much is it going to be down this season if the FO doesn't put a Competitive team for our new manager and fans out on the field? I may go down to the Oriole store in the warehouse this afternoon to see if I see any changes. I believe the governor said he was adding over 200 officers to the downtown area.  Hopefully they will be obvious to me. I have cancelled two trips to meet someone at the Hard Rock Café and one at the Rusty Scupper due to the comments made on 105.7 this week. I'm sure WBAL received similar calls. Hopefully the new officers can get set up in time for this weekend.

• Upvote 1

How long has it been since you were walking around Harbor Place? I used to park under the Gallery and Renaissance Hotel and just got tired of the homeless people.  That was about 4 years ago. I have since then parked there and went to the Hard Rock for lunch one day and was approached by 4 homeless people.  As I said before I have parked on B/C lots for about 4 years now and it's much easier to get a girlfriend to go to a game than walk down Pratt Street at 10:30 or 11 PM at night especially on a week night when attendance is already light.  As to statistics! This is Baltimore City. They don't keep accurate statistics and many crimes are not reported. Do you want to testify against someone in Baltimore?  It's a shame people fear for their safety pressing charges against someone. Many of the criminals are repeat offenders who will probably be released even if you go after them.  Believe me! There are many people robbed n Baltimore who don't call the police. Don't say they are stupid or dumb. Also a side note.  A couple people said the city gas stations have been taken over by the drug dealers. If you get out of your car at a station you are almost immediately approached to see if you want to buy drugs. One guy says he only gets a couple dollars worth of gas for fear of his safety and just gets enough to get out of the city. Another thing a policeman says the squeegee boys are stealing the squeegees from the gas stations and Royal Farms Stores.  How many of us notice them  missing when you want to do your windshield? Did you ever wonder why none are there? It is no secret the gangs or criminals usually work together and single out individuals so if you are fearless great but as a rule don't walk the downtown streets alone. I am not trying to hurt Oriole attendance.  If a season ticket holder wants to see a competitive team please be understanding. Many on here like to be GM's and never go to a game. If you invested thousands of dollars in this team you might expect more.

Thanks for sharing.  I live in Northern Va.  I haven't been to an O's game in a few years.   About a year ago I had a job based in Philadelphia. I took Amtrak through Baltimore once or twice a month.  From the train I saw sections of the city I have never seem before.  It looked like post World War II Europe.  One of the reasons I eventually quit that job is I got tired of seeing this on my train trip each time.  

Here is the thing about the crime in Baltimore and the feeling of "safety" near Camden Yards...

Very, very little crime actually occurs AT, or directly near Camden Yards/M&T Bank Stadium. There are police everywhere, you just might not see them as they aren't in uniform or out in the open.

Now, as far as stuff like the squeegee boys, the homeless population, and groups around the Inner Harbor/Fells Point and other areas nearby...That is stuff that DOES need to be cleaned up. But it also means being smart.

I could take the Light Rail train for free and ride to the stadium. I did that a few times and ended up helping my coworkers twice in situations. I decided driving was better. You just have to be smart.

Don't feel safe parking by the Harbor? Come a bit early and park in the Orioles/M&T lot. Walk with groups of fans. Don't want to take 83 and come down Presidents Street or MLK? If you can avoid it, take 95 to 395, which drops you right into the parking area at the stadiums. Then when you leave, drive by the Camden Light Rail and hop on 395/95 if you are able to. You avoid the entire issue of the homeless and squeegee boys, plus you are leaving with a large group of fans.

I've worked in the sh*tty areas (Penn North, Upton, Mondawmin (both areas before and after the riots, as a single officer on foot patrol), Hartford Road/Bel Air Road corridor, the Lexington Market area), chased people through the projects, ect. Even after doing that, I still look around and avoid areas.

More "bad" stuff has happened during Steelers/Ravens games and in the parking lots than anything I have seen during any Orioles game (the "pre riot" crap that one game doesn't count here, because it was a clusterf*ck to say the least and shouldn't of been allowed to happen).

Now, I'm not saying something COULDN'T happen, but having such a big fear of the immediate area at and around Camden is overblown. Spend the few dollars and park at the stadium.

There is a difference between feeling "uncomfortable" and being in danger. If you are somewhere you don't go to a lot, or in an environment you aren't used to, you can be "uncomfortable" without being in danger.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, SouthRider said:

Thanks for sharing.  I live in Northern Va.  I haven't been to an O's game in a few years.   About a year ago I had a job based in Philadelphia. I took Amtrak through Baltimore once or twice a month.  From the train I saw sections of the city I have never seem before.  It looked like post World War II Europe.  One of the reasons I eventually quit that job is I got tired of seeing this on my train trip each time.  

Ah yes, going to and from the West Baltimore Marc.

I made the final payment on my 30-year mortgage in March and thought I’d be enjoying some extra cash flow without that monthly expense.    My wife convinced me to spend some money refinishing our wood floors, which were pretty tired looking.    Then one of the eaves over our bedroom window started warping, then cracked and a piece fell off, and it turns out some wood had rotted and a whole section had to be replaced.    Then my wife noticed a leak in one of our kids’ old bedrooms, had a roofer look at it and the whole roof needs to be replaced!    And, I’m being told we really should replace our 8 skylights at the same time because they only have a few years of life in them and they’re easier to replace while the shingles are off the roof!

Bottom line, this series of home repairs will cost me about 18 months worth of mortgage payments.    So much for cash flow!

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

I made the final payment on my 30-year mortgage in March and thought I’d be enjoying some extra cash flow without that monthly expense.    My wife convinced me to spend some money refinishing our wood floors, which were pretty tired looking.    Then one of the eaves over our bedroom window started warping, then cracked and a piece fell off, and it turns out some wood had rotted and a whole section had to be replaced.    Then my wife noticed a leak in one of our kids’ old bedrooms, had a roofer look at it and the whole roof needs to be replaced!    And, I’m being told we really should replace our 8 skylights at the same time because they only have a few years of life in them and they’re easier to replace while the shingles are off the roof!

Bottom line, this series of home repairs will cost me about 18 months worth of mortgage payments.    So much for cash flow!

Just think if you hadn't had paid off your mortgage yet and you had those repairs.  

On 6/12/2019 at 2:51 PM, Frobby said:

I feel your pain. Being a home owner, you are always finding ways to spend money on your HAVC, roof, windows, it seams to never end. :)

I teased the wife, I wanted to retire and move to a 1 bedroom apartment, with no home owner responsibility. :)

Image that, another rant from me about idiot drivers.

UGH

I do not care if you love driving midget cars, that is your constitution right and freedom, enjoy.

But, why the hell, is your little smart car/fiat/mini cooper, do you feel the need to swing left into my lane of travel, just so you can turn right?

Those thing happen to maneveur quite well, and that is totally unnecessary and dangerous driving skill that you have acquired.