isestrex

Would you have matched SEA offer to keep Cruz an Oriole?

Would you have matched 4y/$57M for Cruz?  

160 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. Would you have matched 4y/$57M for Cruz?

• Yes, that's reasonable
    • No, let the Mariners have him.

2 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

From age zero through 32 Cruz was worth 12 wins, which is the 523rd best mark of all time among 1B/RF/LF/DHs.  Just below Dmitri Young, Hal Morris and Dan Gladden.  Quite a few slots behind such luminaries as Aubrey Huff and Chris Davis.

From age 35-38 Cruz was worth 16 wins, which is 10th all time at those positions.  A few spots behind Roberto Clemente and just in front of Stan Musial and Paul Molitor.

I guess if you saw that coming, good on you.

I definitely thought he was too old to give a DH a 4 year deal, so I never saw this production coming. I cant imagine how he did it clean, but whatever, he bucked the odds, so good for him. 

7 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

From age zero through 32 Cruz was worth 12 wins, which is the 523rd best mark of all time among 1B/RF/LF/DHs.  Just below Dmitri Young, Hal Morris and Dan Gladden.  Quite a few slots behind such luminaries as Aubrey Huff and Chris Davis.

From age 35-38 Cruz was worth 16 wins, which is 10th all time at those positions.  A few spots behind Roberto Clemente and just in front of Stan Musial and Paul Molitor.

I guess if you saw that coming, good on you.

I mentioned yesterday the study I’d done of active players through age 36.    The average player in that group acquired 51% of their total WAR by age 29; the median was 53.5%.    Cruz was the lowest in the group, at 25%.    And that didn’t even include the 7.2 WAR he put up in his age 37-38 seasons.    He’s about as extreme an outlier as you’ll ever find.   

• Upvote 2

I wasn't any seer or anything but I felt the O's would have done well to re-sign both Cruz and Miller. It's not like we as O's fans had windows a plenty for winning. They needed to strike while the iron was hot and they plainly didn't.

• Upvote 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Orioles Information

Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores
News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2018 End of Season Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2019 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats

• By the way, I started this thread to post a bunch of cool and interesting stuff about the minor league Orioles.
    • I'm going to use this thread to post interesting things about the minor league Orioles that played in the Eastern League and then the International League from 1903-1953, with the exception of 1915. They're kind of the forgotten heroes of Baltimore baseball because anything that's not Major League is sometimes treated like it didn't happen. So even the 1890s Orioles get Hall of Fame plaques, while the seven consecutive IL champ Orioles are rarely mentioned at all. My first bit will be on the 1925 Orioles, the 7th of the seven consecutive IL champs.  After the '24 season Jack Dunn finally relented and sold Lefty Grove to the A's for $100,600 (about $1.5M today).  In '24 he'd gone 26-6 for the Orioles.  As an Oriole Grove went 108-36 in parts of five years. But not to worry, those 26 wins would have been fourth on the 1925 Orioles. Tommy Thomas, who'd pitch for the White Sox for years after leaving Baltimore, threw 56 games, 354 innings, and went 32-12.  George Earnshaw started 41 games, pitched in 53, threw 332 innings, and went 29-11.  And sitting in the back of the rotation was Jack Ogden who only got into 51 games, 327 innings and went 28-11. 89 wins out of their top three starters.  The 2019 Orioles got 28 out of theirs.
    • I am working from home. Luckily my job is pretty essential.   But I have worked from home since last fall.   So nothing new on that part. Last left the house for other than a walk around the neighborhood or in the backyard was a week and a half ago to pick up distance learning material from daughters school.   Had groceries delivered a few days ago. Also subscribe to Blue Apron to get some meal kits.  Wife is being paid to stay home.  So that helps with daughter being out of school.  Doing push-ups and jumping jacks at home along with walks to try and keep in shape.  Last weekend was pretty tough as it rained all weekend.  I did some hikes in the woods previously.  Hope to find some empty trails this weekend.   Not sure why there seems to be a shortage of eggs. Luckily I eat a lot of fruit and vegetables and surprisingly there doesn't seem to be any shortage of them.  
    • We got the order to start working from home on 3/16.  It is a huge cultural change for the organization I support.  Since 3/13 I’ve been to the grocery store twice, ordered from Amazon once, picked up Chipotle once, and ordered pizza once.  I’m used to eating lunch out everyday, so this has been a big change. Silver lining, I gave up soda cold turkey.  Wrapping up three weeks tomorrow.  I can notice some weight dropping, but don’t want to go out and replace the batteries in my scale!
    • Really are you even reading what I am saying.  SCHOOLS ARE MORE IMPORTANT THAN SPECTATOR SPORTS.  Almost all governments will not allow baseball to happen.  They aren't' going to let a traveling virus show hit their town.   They can go play in Brazil like the UFC if they want to but it isn't going to happen here in the US.  The players will never go to a third world country. But you can live in your fantasy land if you want.   And the sports would take a tremendous backlash by even attempting something like you suggest.
    • They lied, but for them to go from saying lets start up basketball to saying oh standby we have an uptick again is still surprising to do.  Otherwise they would have continued with games.  In other news, Japan trying my theory didn't work. https://www.newsday.com/sports/columnists/david-lennon/japanese-baseball-mlb-coronavirus-return-1.43570449 so, my empty stadium quarantine is off the table.  
  • Popular Contributors

• Popular Now