Greg

Nick Markakis agrees to four-year deal with Atlanta Braves

As others have said, not signing Markakis can only be judged through the lens of a complete off-season. Given that in-system replacements are sparse, I'd say the O's have some work to do, though. The contract is just outside of my comfort zone, but the days of reasonable free agent deals (for players not coming off serious injuries and/or drug suspensions) are basically gone.

This stinks!

Who would make a decision based on the MRI?!!?!?!?

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2014/12/hardy-on-markakis-everyone-thought-hed-be-back.html

I heard that Rosenthal had a conspiracy theory about the MRI. This really sucks!!!

MSK

I think Nick getting the MRI when it could be extremely harmful if it got out to other teams (not just the results but the fact the O's demanded one) tells you he REALLY wanted to stay.

People look at the final numbers and say it's an overpayment but he would have taken less. How much? Who knows. Would you have been fine with 4 years 39 million?

Sooo... The lack of QO means Dan expected to resign him tho.

Not necessarily..he may also have not wanted to come up with $15M for one season. Although, no one has yet to sign a QO, so who knows.

The MRI stuff is interesting. Some people may not like it but I think it's likely another piece of evidence that we were better parting ways. Don't understand how this type of information is continually released though and it's not good for our image with other FA's. Since it's being released now my suspicion it's from the Markakis camp.

The MRI stuff is interesting. Some people may not like it but I think it's likely another piece of evidence that we were better parting ways. Don't understand how this type of information is continually released though and it's not good for our image with other FA's. Since it's being released now my suspicion it's from the Markakis camp.

MRI's were probably on his arm and Braves will see it on Friday. Anything that shows up in test all teams will see so not a big deal.

I just got home and saw this. Decided not to tell my kids because they will be devastated. That is the difference between a child and adults. There is nothing I can say to them that makes sense to them. That is being a diehard fan. However, I want my children to not experience 1998-2011!! Signing Cruz & Nick would have made that more likely. I like the fact that Angelos is truly not making the decisions. I like that medical professionals prevent Puljos, Hamilton, etc decisions. I am waiting for our young Vlad (Manny?) or the new Pedro trade from DD. I bet the real experts in NYC & Boston just woke up and realized the Orioles are the new Rays with money and are scared. I really mean that. I will miss Nick, but losing Mussina was worse. He wasn't replaceable. Nick's future numbers (not his clubhouse and community presence) can be replaced. I do not think that person is currently on our 40 man roster yet. Good luck Nick. I hope you get another 1000 hits in Atlanta!!

MRI's were probably on his arm and Braves will see it on Friday. Anything that shows up in test all teams will see so not a big deal.

Not following. "MRI" or a "couple of examinations" there is something that scared us off on that 4th year and dollars. First I heard of this was just now. Maybe ATL will be less concerned than us I guess. Seeing and interpreting are 2 different things. In any event there's a problem with this stuff being released, even after the fact.

Not following. "MRI" or a "couple of examinations" there is something that scared us off on that 4th year and dollars. First I heard of this was just now. Maybe ATL will be less concerned than us I guess. Seeing and interpreting are 2 different things. In any event there's a problem with this stuff being released, even after the fact.

MRI or not, he's indisputably going to be 4 years older in 4 years. That's reason enough to worry about the last year.

I don't think 4/$44 is outlandish but I understand why they did it. I'm also not interested in the "Nick wanted to stay and he's upset" message being put out. He was overpaid on his last contract, so he was ahead of the Orioles on the ledger. If he really was dying to stay he could have signed a 3 year deal with a reasonable team option.

Beat me to it. From the article
What would a six-year-old boy do if you gave him a hundred dollars? He would buy a hundred candy bars, and a few hours later he'd be puking his guts up.

The Atlanta Braves are going to be puking their guts up in a few years. That's what happens after you give them $44 million and they buy 2400 Nick Markakis plate appearances.

They can afford it, just as it seems that every team can afford just about anything. But will they have the will to bench or release Markakis when he's a zed-win player earning $11 million? The Braves' recent history is not encouraging.