Peace21

Report: O's and Fogg agree to Deal

I know how people view a pitcher's win-loss record but the fact the guy has a .500 record on mostly bad teams says something. Maybe he is one of those guys that seems to be better than the numbers show to some level. I think McPhail wants to put people in a position to succeed. If the organization honestly thought our young guys are ready he wouldn't sign Fogg. Unlike previous years McPhail is not trying to ask too much out of people. Not having Bedard anymore puts alot more heat on Guthrie and Loewen. There is no harm in having legit competition at the AAA level.

I guess in the NL mediocre pitchers are going to get pulled sooner then say, DC in the AL so a PH can be used. Looking at Fogg last season he had 29 starts and finished through the 5th inning 25 times. Many times he was lifted after exactly 5 innings, but for all I can tell he was still "good" for a couple more. Our guy might feel comfortable trotting Fogg out for another inning, but one of the "kids" is going to be on a strict pitch count.

This is a good point. In the DH league, and on a team that will most likely not be in contention, it is possible that he may be able to consume some more innings.

Also though, as others have pointed out, how much will moving to the AL play into his performance? Will it negate the move out of Coors?

What does Olson have left to prove in AAA? He isn't going to learn anything.

For the FO to be worried about Olson's small sample size last year is a bit much.

Now, if the Orioles decide they want to bring Olson around more slowly at this level and put him in the pen, i have less of a problem with that.

As long as Penn has the extra option, he can go to AAA unless he earns a spot out of the pen in ST...But i may prefer him to go to AAA to build up some innings.

Albers and Liz can go to AAA but i think they should be in the pen.

If you get Gallagher, he is basically ready now...Be interesting to see how that plays out.

I think the problem they had with Olson last year was he didn't pitch his game at the ML level. He was overstriding and nibbling with none of the command that he has in AAA. They probably want him to go back to Norfolk and get that back before he comes up again. Hopefully next time he stays within himself and trusts his stuff.

I was told the FO feels Olsen had the chance to show he belonged in Baltimore last year and did nothing with that chance. He'll start at AAA. You can't enter the season with a starter as big of a question mark as Olsen, Liz or Penn.

Now that Mazzone is gone, Olson should get back to normal. I really think Leo intimidated these younger pitchers.

I think the real Mazzone effect was a bunch of shell shocked young pitchers who were thrown into the fire, and didn't really have anybody to show them the way...

Now that Mazzone is gone, Olson should get back to normal. I really think Leo intimidated these younger pitchers.

I think the real Mazzone effect was a bunch of shell shocked young pitchers who were thrown into the fire, and didn't really have anybody to show them the way...

This is a really good point, JTrea. By the time Olson got up here, this team was really out of it and I wouldn't be surprised if no one really cared about what was going on. I'm not saying that no effort was put into showing him the ropes...I'm just saying the urgency may not have been there.

I would NOT like to see Olson up here in a bullpen role. I think if he has a rough spring training he should go down to Norfolk and continue doing what got him here. If he is throwing strikes and looking good in ST, I think he could very well be our 4th or 5th starter coming north. I also wouldn't be surprised to see him included in a trade to get us a middle infielder.

How many times was he lifted for a pinch hitter because of runners in scoring position????

There was at least one runner in scoring position 3 times last season when Fogg was replaced for a PH. FWIW.

For all I know this guy is not an innings eater at all. But it looks like somebody on the O's thinks he is. Either that or they plan to sign yet another veteran that will be the IE they were thinking of. But I guess it is Fogg they mean. Looking at numbers to try and find something of what they are seeing shows I have nothing better to do at the moment. Anyway his arm and mind seem sound enough to answer the call just about every time his turn comes up.

I would like to see Olson begin the season in the bullpen and get his feet wet that way.

I agree with this. I think long term he may have more value in the bullpen and eventually we could be able to trade Walker because we will have Olson there.

Take a look at the stats for Olson and John Maine during their AAA years. They pitched the same amount of innings at AAA with Olson having a much more dominant year. They also both had call ups in which they got beat around pretty good. Keep in mind that Olson was a year younger than Maine during the season at AAA. I think we would all be thrilled if Olson's career continues to progress similarly to Maine.

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/O/Garrett-Olson.shtml

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/M/John-Maine.shtml

Take a look at the stats for Olson and John Maine during their AAA years. They pitched the same amount of innings at AAA with Olson having a much more dominant year. They also both had call ups in which they got beat around pretty good. Keep in mind that Olson was a year younger than Maine during the season at AAA. I think we would all be thrilled if Olson's career continues to progress similarly to Maine.

Lets just hope we keep this one :D

He needs to be better than Maine. Maine was beaten up pretty bad the second have of 2007. 5.53 era is not good in the NL. Most likely he would not have faired well with the Orioles in 2007.

He needs to be better than Maine. Maine was beaten up pretty bad the second have of 2007. 5.53 era is not good in the NL. Most likely he would not have faired well with the Orioles in 2007.

Not so fast, John Maine pitched 191 innings last season, more than 100 innings than hes ever pitched at the major league level. He had only started as many games (32) at any level, or combined level once prior. If you take out September and August his numbers are very impressive. Hopefully he can stay strong the whole season next year.

He would not fair as well in the AL East, yes, but he certainly would have been one of our best pitchers. I've followed Maine's career since day one, and his success comes from the confidence he gets from the defense behind him and an offense that can actually win when you give up less than 4 runs.

Hopefully our offense will improve in the years to come, I think it will do wonders for our young arms.

This is the classic Jamie Moyer argument, the one where any lefty with a 84 mph fastball and a crappy record at the age of 28 is supposedly destined to win 200 games in his 30s. John Maine made an extraordinary leap forward from his 4.56 ERA in AAA. Most players with a 4.56 in AAA end up out of baseball at 30, not pitching in the World Series.

Olson may end up as a fine pitcher, but not because of any similarities to John Maine.

And let's not forget that Maine somehow picked up an additional 2-4mph on his fastball between being traded from O's to Mets.

If Olson can grab another 2-4mph out of his heater, I would predict MLB success too.

And let's not forget that Maine somehow picked up an additional 2-4mph on his fastball between being traded from O's to Mets.

If Olson can grab another 2-4mph out of his heater, I would predict MLB success too.

He's also really improved his cutter and developed an above average change up.