Roy Firestone

I'll let this play out - But so far I'm not impressed...

One thing is certain, I think.We won't be better losing our MVP, a shutdown set up man and our regular RF with at least good defense. Whats left except for a trade? I think waiting it out this year will NOT be the right strategy but Im willing to see what we come to camp with.

I dont necessarily fault DD OR BUCK. I think this is strictly a money issue for now and the future. That is an Angelos call. He is making the decisions which is his right, but so far Im not impressed.

• Upvote 1

What makes it worse it we have a small window where we have a chance to really win it all if we add a couple of pieces. We should be going all in right now, and we haven't done anything. We all know that we will lose even more from our team after next year.

• Upvote 2

What makes it worse it we have a small window where we have a chance to really win it all if we add a couple of pieces. We should be going all in right now, and we haven't done anything. We all know that we will lose even more from our team after next year.

No. Window. Just a chance to get better.

I can understand the disappointment, but there's reasonable justification for the release of all three of the players who we let leave.

Miller was a rental. He was the right player at the time, but he's performed so well that he made himself more valuable to other teams than he was to the O's. He also plays a position that we can't afford to pay big bucks to fill.

Cruz agreed to sign for about half price on a one year deal so he could re-establish his value. And he did. I think he's a player who will continue to produce for 4 more years despite his age and wish we would have kept him, but after getting him for wholesale, it's hard to pay retail.

Nick was a great Oriole, but he's not worth what he's getting from ATL, IMO. It was time to let him leave so we wouldn't have to deal with his continued decline. There's also the health issue that caused concern.

I don't have a problem with who we let go, only that there's doesn't seem to be a good replacement strategy.

I agree Roy, I said in another we had the opportunity to seize the moment and be a power for the next four seasons. They still have time but up until now Angelos has chosen to pocket the money. The stat geeks on this site will tell you the metrics tell you not to sign Miller. I have been following the team for 52 years and have coached high and college baseball for 31 years and will tell you the eye test says he has the best stuff of any reliever we have had in club history. He was dominant.

I agree Roy, I said in another we had the opportunity to seize the moment and be a power for the next four seasons. They still have time but up until now Angelos has chosen to pocket the money. The stat geeks on this site will tell you the metrics tell you not to sign Miller. I have been following the team for 52 years and have coached high and college baseball for 31 years and will tell you the eye test says he has the best stuff of any reliever we have had in club history. He was dominant.

I find it hard to believe that there were moves that would have guaranteed we'd be a "power" for the next 4 years. Are you suggesting that signing Miller, Cruz, and Markakis would have done that?

One thing is certain, I think.We won't be better losing our MVP, a shutdown set up man and our regular RF with at least good defense. Whats left except for a trade? I think waiting it out this year will NOT be the right strategy but Im willing to see what we come to camp with.

I dont necessarily fault DD OR BUCK. I think this is strictly a money issue for now and the future. That is an Angelos call. He is making the decisions which is his right, but so far Im not impressed.

Are you saying Cruz was our MVP? I do not agree with that. But I am with you - I am not impressed. But this is only December. We have time

I wanted Miller signed but we would've won the a least without him. Look at the team over the last three years. In 2012 we won without Markakis and only 40 games of Machado. In 2013 we JJ blew 15 saves. Last year we won without mcclouth, jj,machado and weiters. This offseason we didn't have to rebuild a bullpen or a pitching spot. It's not like we have a ton of holes. Good rotation. Good bullpen. Good defense. Getting machado and weiters back. Hopefully getting better production from Davis,schoop and hardy. I'm ready for ST.

No. Window. Just a chance to get better.

The following two sentiments are often expressed on this board.

(1) We don't have to worry about losing Cruz and Markakis, because the return of Wieters and a return to form of Chris Davis will more than make up for the lost offense.

(2) The likely departure of Davis and Wieters after next season doesn't imply that we have a limited window of opportunity.

Aren't these two statements logically inconsistent? If Wieters and Davis are so important to our offense next year, then won't losing them after next season be a severe blow to our chances to compete for at least a couple of seasons, assuming (with justification) that we don't sign a big-ticket free agent to replace them?

• Upvote 1

I agree Roy, and I said so in another thread. Taking the orange rose colored glasses off, if Boston or NY had won the east last year and lost their MVP/home run champ, their totally dominant shut down reliever, and their long time right fielder, without doing anything to replace them? We would all be jumping for joy and saying what clowns they were.

The fact is the Os had an opportunity to solidify their team and make a big time run next year (assuming Davis, Wieters, and Manny all come back to reasonable form), and instead we are left with a bunch of what ifs, hopes, and maybe's. I don't know of any team in recent history who came so close to winning it all and as a result, got rid of 3 of their best players.

Shameful really.

Edited by islandecho
  • Upvote 1

Instead of waiting it out, who would you have had us go after to replace Cruz, Markakis, and Miller. If you can't answer that then you shouldn't have made this post, IMO.

I just wonder if three straight winning seasons, 2 playoffs appearances and an ALCS appearance isn't enough to gain trust in this front office what would be?

The stat geeks on this site will tell you the metrics tell you not to sign Miller.

Heath Bell.

Steve Kline.

Jim Johnson.

Brian Fuentes.

Jamie Walker.

Kevin Gregg.

Grant Balfour.

BJ Ryan.

Danys Baez.

Ryan Madson.

Carlos Marmol.

Joel Hanrahan.

Bobby Jenks.

And so on, et cetera, ad nauseum.

:rolleyestf:

So yeah, I don't need no stinkin' "stat geeks" to tell me that giving big money to relief pitchers is unwise, no matter how good their stuff may look.

I agree that it's about money. I just accept the fact that, like most teams, the Orioles operate within a budget. And on a budget that is in the top half of all teams but not the top third, you have to be careful not to put a lot of money into guys who are likely to decline over the term of a four year deal and guys who at most will pitch five percent of your team's innings. People can speculate all they want about whether the team's owner could pump in more money, but none of us really knows and so far as I'm concerned, it's kind of like complaining about the weather -- it is what it is. Dan's operated under budget constraints the whole time he's been here, and he's never going to be able to pay top dollar for a lot of players. If he could only keep one of his top four top free agents this winter, I'm glad he chose Hardy.

Edited by Frobby