ArtVanDelay

Ravens/Browns Game Thread

In all fairness, a FG would have still made it a 2 possession game. SD almost had to go for it.

Though they wound up getting to the 20 with about 3 minutes left, going for it on 4th AGAIN, and failing. FGs in both spots would have made it a 1 possession game now.

But that's hindsight... I would have gone for it too.

Though they wound up getting to the 20 with about 3 minutes left, going for it on 4th AGAIN, and failing. FGs in both spots would have made it a 1 possession game now.

But that's hindsight... I would have gone for it too.

Yeah. Things worked out for the Ravens today.

The Harbaugh hate is ridiculous in this town. To finish 10-6 with this team - with Ray Rice, the secondary issues, Ngata getting popped, losing their best defender (Smith), losing Pitta, etc. - is pretty freaking commendable.

• Upvote 1

Another year, another playoff appearance for the Ravens. I know we all complain about Flacco, the offense in general, Harbaugh and other aspects of the organization, but let's all be thankful that we're fans of one of the greatest organizations in sports.

To say one thing about Joe Flacco, no matter how the game progresses, even if he's not having a good game, he's shown many times over that he can turn it on and be that difference maker. Whatever happened midway through the 3rd quarter, he started to light up Cleveland like a Christmas tree. After the season he had last year, learning a new system, losing his favorite target in Dennis Pitta again, to throw for a career high in yards and TD's, and cut the INT's down significantly, that's a win.

The Harbaugh hate is ridiculous in this town. To finish 10-6 with this team - with Ray Rice, the secondary issues, Ngata getting popped, losing their best defender (Smith), losing Pitta, etc. - is pretty freaking commendable.

Funny you waited until the game was won to come out liek this. Had you comes out and said this when they were losing 10-3 in the 3rd quarter to the Browns and their commercial off the shelf QB I'd be more impressed. ;)

I'm not a Harbaugh hater, but the team has not played very impressive football for sometime now. Sometimes a coach starts to become stale and as much as I respect Harbaugh, I do really wonder what plus he brings on gameday besides being a cheer leader?

Funny you waited until the game was won to come out liek this. Had you comes out and said this when they were losing 10-3 in the 3rd quarter to the Browns and their commercial off the shelf QB I'd be more impressed. ;)

I'm not a Harbaugh hater, but the team has played very impressive football for sometime now. Sometimes a coach starts to become stale and as much as I respect Harbaugh, I do really wonder what plus he brings on gameday besides being a cheer leader?

Now, let me preface this by saying that I am not on the Ravens sidelines during the games, nor am I in the offices at the Castle during the week. I think it would be pretty unfair to speculate in detail about what Harbaugh does on and off the field without talking to those who are actually there.

But it seems to me that the Ravens have had a pretty unprecedented amount of success in the John Harbaugh era. We all know the basic stats, 7 seasons, 6 playoff appearances, 1 superbowl title, 3 AFC Championship games.

The fact that we haven't had a losing season since 2007 I think is absolutely incredible. The best streak we ever had in the Billick era was 3 years.

I think there is something to be said for the administrative skill that Harbaugh simply must bring to the table. I don't think it's fair at all to say that this team has won 72 regular season games (plus however many playoff wins) over 7 years DESPITE Harbaugh. That is just way too big of a sample. He must be doing something right here. Maybe it's the coordinators' jobs to do most of the heavy lifting on gameday as far as playcalling, and it's the head coaches job to oversee it all and make sure that things are working. Maybe he does 98% of his work in the week going up to gameday.

I know there was an article that surfaced a year or so ago that looked at his typical week's schedule and it showed that he put in an insane amount of hours.

Fans are fickle, and I get that. Harbaugh could win 3 superbowls in 4 years, then 'only' have several years of playoff appearances to his credit, and he would still catch tons of criticism. How do I know that? Because I see that there are Patriots fans that do that to Belichick......as absolutely absurd as that seems to any rational person viewing that from the outside.

I don't think Harbaugh is necessarily the best in the business, but I do think the evidence is clear that he's done a lot of things right in his tenure here, and I'm thrilled we have him as our head coach. We could do far worse, and I'm not sure how many guys out there would be a clear upgrade.

My .02.

• Upvote 1

Don't get me wrong, i agree with a lot of your arguments and in fact, I'm not a guy who thinks Harbaugh needs to go. I am however a little concerned by how often his team failed to show up this December. I totally agree that Harbaugh has done a lot of things right, and I don't think he's a bad coach by any means, but I just wonder if his message starts to fall on deaf ears after awhile.

I like Harbaugh overall, but he needs to find a way to get his team to be consistent and to play well down the stretch. The last two years the Ravens have finished playing poorly though they got away with it this year because of the soft December schedule.