Britton

O'Day

Hunter

Brach

Webb

Wright

Matusz

McFarland

The expectation is that we will have a 12 man staff. These are the 14 pitchers you would expect to be on the roster if they are still here. McFarland and Gausman both have options for sure. Not sure about the others. We also have two Rule 5 guys competing for spots but it's hard to see how they could possibly make the team the way it looks now. Do the O's put Miguel Gonzalez in the bullpen and start McFarland at Norfolk? That gets it down to 13. Is Matusz sent packing? That would get it to 12. Both moves seem the most likely. What do you think?

• Upvote 1

If a starter is not traded, then putting mcFarland in Norfolk is easy to do and most likely. I do think they'll try to keep at least one Rule V guy, so two more would have to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If Wieters is on the DL to start the year' date=' we may go with a 13 man staff.[/quote']
Could be 13 on OD anyway with Davis suspended.

Davis will miss one game. Why would Wieters being on the DL necessitate carrying an additional pitcher. You'd still need two catchers. Who from the bench (Flaherty, Lough, Young) would be moved to make room for a 13th pitcher? I don't see it.

Davis will miss one game. Why would Wieters being on the DL necessitate carrying an additional pitcher. You'd still need two catchers. Who from the bench (Flaherty, Lough, Young) would be moved to make room for a 13th pitcher? I don't see it.

I think Wieters may be on the OD roster even if he is unable to catch, as mostly a DH. This would require us to carry three catchers. If he is not good enough to do that, we may just go with two catchers and carry an extra arm.

I think Wieters may be on the OD roster even if he is unable to catch' date=' as mostly a DH. This would require us to carry three catchers. If he is not good enough to do that, we may just go with two catchers and carry an extra arm.[/quote']

If we go with 2 catchers and carry an extra arm, it would require the bench to be 3 players. Assuming we sign Rasmus, the current bench is

1. 2nd catcher

2. Ryan Flaherty

3. Delmon Young

4. David Lough

I'm assuming you think they might cut Lough to carry an extra pitcher? Just asking. I can't see any other possibility.

It sucks but Gausman to AAA. Mac to AAA.

Bullpen:

Britton

O'day

Hunter

Brach

Webb

Wright

Verret

No sense wasting Gausman's service time in the pen. I see DD using the quality of our pitching staff depth and then see where we are at come trade deadline time. Come next year we are going to need all that depth with Chen, Norris, Wright,Oday, Hunter and Webb being FA's. Only thing about the pen about that pen is that nobody has options.

I think the vision is to slow-cook McFarland as a starter, and his odds of making the Orioles to start the season are very low, barring a rash of injuries. There's always the swing fall back but I think Duquette's nurturing McFarland as a minimum wage fifth starter who wouldn't kill you for 2016 if Chen and Norris both leave.

McFarland v. Bundy behind Tillman/Gausman/Gonzalez/Ubaldo for #5 next spring could be an interesting battle if Bundy doesn't slam that door shut by greatly improved performance this year.

It sucks but Gausman to AAA. Mac to AAA.

Bullpen:

Britton

O'day

Hunter

Brach

Webb

Wright

Verret

No sense wasting Gausman's service time in the pen. I see DD using the quality of our pitching staff depth and then see where we are at come trade deadline time. Come next year we are going to need all that depth with Chen, Norris, Wright,Oday, Hunter and Webb being FA's. Only thing about the pen about that pen is that nobody has options.

Got to believe that Gausman will be in the starting rotation.

Either Matusz or Webb will be traded. Unless DD and Buck decide that someone is injured.

Either Matusz or Webb will be traded. Unless DD and Buck decide that someone is injured.

Agree with this. Gausman is a starter. Both relievers named are trade candidates and possibly Norris or Gonzalez.

Agree with this. Gausman is a starter. Both relievers named are trade candidates and possibly Norris or Gonzalez.

I'll jump on this bandwagon. Agree with both posts and posters.