Nuclear Dish

Recruiting Updates

Jeff Jones, who is a SG from Virginia may be close to deciding. He is the 83rd ranked player in the 2007 class. MD may be the favorite at this point.

DJ Augustin, 5'11" (#8 PG) #54/#40

Committed to Texas over LSU. This is good news for Arizona, who will now expect Jerryd Bayless to announce for them on Friday instead of Texas, which won't sign 2 top-10 PGs for back-to-back classes. It's also good for Dook fans, who, with Bayless at Arizona and Lawson at UNC, can feel more confident of their chances to get Eric Gordon, the #1 SG in the Class of 2007.

Jeremy Mayfield, 6'10" (#12 PF) #52/NR

Mayfield had committed to Nevasda last year before returning for prep school. Now he has committed to Oklahoma over Miami (FL), S. Florida, and Texas A&M.

Gary Johnson, 6'7" PF CLASS OF 2007 #24/#18

Johnson is an undersized post player with a lot of heart. He has a long list of schools he's considering, but recently was quoted as saying, ""If I had to choose one school I would want to take an official visit to, it would be North Carolina." Whether UNC will use it's (currently) lone available scholarship on an undersized player is doubtful. Other schools who are interested include Arizona, UConn, Dook, Kansas, and Texas.

Eric Gordon, 6'2" SG CLASS OF 2007 #5/#10

Gordon will likely choose between Dook and Illinois. He is technically a SG, but he can handle the point as well, if necessary. It is unlikely that he'll choose Arizona or UNC because of recent (or forthcoming) signings at the guard position.

Taylor King, 6'7" SF CLASS OF 2007 #39/#29

According to some sources, he's down to Dook, UNC, and Villanova. I fully expect him to go to Dook. He just looks like a Dookie. He's a dead-eye lefthanded long-range shooter.

Doneal Mack verballed to Florida over Viginia Tech.

And Lance Thomas seems to be headed toward a spring decision, which means Dook's pressure for him to sign while visiting this past week didn't work. It also means that his visit to WF this weekend might get cancelled, as WF will likely prefer that he make that final visit in the spring, closer to when he makes his final decision.

Chas McFarland, 7'0" (NR C) NR/NR

McFarland is exceptionally tall at 7-feet, but he's also exceptionally skinny, weighing only about 215. And even that is an improvement over his weight from earlier this summer, when he was only 200 pounds! He has some skills, but as Dean Smith used to always say, "The only skill you can't teach is height." I expect that if McFarland can stay healthy, and if he can put on 50 pounds, he could be a decent enough player. He chose WF over BC, Marquette, and Southern Cal.

This moves WF up in my rankings from #19 to #17.

Bryan Davis, 6'8" (#11 PF) #47/#49

Committed, as expected, to Texas A&M. Had also considered Texas, but they chose not to wait and signed a full class already. So Davis, who was leaning toward A&M anyway, just took what was left. This signing moves A&M up to about #18 in my rankings.

Will Harris, 6'6" (NR SF) NR/NR

Harris is an interesting story. He signed with Nebraska in 2004, then wanted to get out of his LOI. He claimed his mother was sick and she wanted him to be closer to home. Nebraska said no, so his only option to get out (without losing eligiblity) was to fail to graduate, even though he had a 3.0 and had finished enough credits. So he chose to take a 5th year of high school, and shortly thereafter signed with UConn. But then UConn recruited over him and told him he would be better off finding another school to play for (real nice, Calhoun). So he went through the process again, and this time finally chose Virginia over BC, Providence, Memphis, and Seton Hall. This signing moves UVA up to about #27 in my rankings.

Manual Cass, 6'7" (NR PF) NR/NR

Signed with DePaul over Xavier and Iowa.

Eric Gordon, 6'2" SG CLASS OF 2007 #5/#10

Gordon will likely choose between Dook and Illinois. He is technically a SG, but he can handle the point as well, if necessary. It is unlikely that he'll choose Arizona or UNC because of recent (or forthcoming) signings at the guard position.

And I was right on this one.

Gordon committed to Illinois over Dook. He made his decision based on 3 factors: 1) his affection for Bruce Weber and his staff; 2) proximity to his Indianapolis home; and 3) the way Illinois developed Deron Williams and Luther Head and their current success as NBA rookies. Gordon was Dook's #1 target for 2007, so this is a blow to them.

Tyreke Evans, the consensus #1 for 2008, is a 6'4" combo guard whose ceiling is being compared to LeBron James and Greg Oden. He had the following to say recently:

""I love everything about them. I have been a fan all of my life. From the history, to the playing style, to the coach, to the color of the jerseys, there's nobody else that I want to play for. If everything goes as planned, I will be at Carolina."