ScottieBaseball

What's on your I-Pod? What should I have on my I-Pod?

I thought it would be cool to share some music tastes with each other and possibly turn one another on to new stuff. Share a little about your tastes if you like, but throw us some bones. I'll start:

My tastes are eclectic to say the least. I've got a little of EVERYTHING on my I-Pod. Take a look and let me know what I'm missing. If you can't believe that I've got so-and-so on my list and not so-and-so, tell me!

Here are just a few of what's on my I-Pod:

James Brown

A Tribe Called Quest

Metallica

Toby Keith

Fleetwood Mac

Journey

Daughtry

Corinne Bailey Ray

Pantera

Buckcherry

Jimmie's Chicken Shack

Rod Stewart

Clutch

Montgomery Gentry

Danzig

Bad Company

Sam Cooke

Shinedown

Joe Cocker

Rolling Stones

You know, a cool thing to do if you have some free time is to put your ipod on shuffle, and then list the first ten songs played. It is pretty fun.

I will do it when I get home.

I'm not too hip to the new music, here is a little of my mix (at least those that I have more than 4 songs of:

Alanis Morissette

Alman Brothers

Bad Company

Beach Boys

Beatles

Billy Idol

Billy Joel

Bob Dylon

Bob Seger

Bon Jovi

Bruce Springsteen

Bryan Adams

Chicago

Creed

Daughtry

The Eagles

Elvis

Foreigner

Huey Lewis & the News

James Blunt

John Lennon

John Mellencamp

Journey

Paul McCartney

Pretenders

Rod Stewart

Sheryl Crow

Styx

And a few other Songs:

Don't Fear the Reaper - BOC

Rock n Roll Band - Boston

I Want You to Want Me - Cheap Trick

Smoke on the Water

China Grove

Son of A Preacher Man

September

Tiny Dancer

Layla

Radar Love

We're an American Band

Philadelphia Freedom

Me and Bobby McGee

Locomotive Breath

Rocky Mountain Way

St. Elmo's Fire Theme

Brandy - Lookin Glass

Simple Man

Sweet Home Alabama

Show me the Way - Frampton Live

Lunatic Fringe

Smooth

Evil Ways

Rock You Like a Hurricane

Born to Be Wild

Cat Scratch Fever

Somethin in the Air - Thunderclap Newman

Hold the Line - Toto

But that is much more than you asked for. I am a child of the 70's and 80's and never got out of that phase, musically.

I thought it would be cool to share some music tastes with each other and possibly turn one another on to new stuff. Share a little about your tastes if you like, but throw us some bones. I'll start:

My tastes are eclectic to say the least. I've got a little of EVERYTHING on my I-Pod. Take a look and let me know what I'm missing. If you can't believe that I've got so-and-so on my list and not so-and-so, tell me!

Here are just a few of what's on my I-Pod:

James Brown

A Tribe Called Quest

Metallica

Toby Keith

Fleetwood Mac

Journey

Daughtry

Corinne Bailey Ray

Pantera

Buckcherry

Jimmie's Chicken Shack

Rod Stewart

Clutch

Montgomery Gentry

Danzig

Bad Company

Sam Cooke

Shinedown

Joe Cocker

Rolling Stones

I guess i can't post here, I have a regular MP3, not an Ipod.....:P

I'm the local country boy. I would recomend Trace Adkins to anybody. That's a baritone.

Party Shuffle:

Song: Artist: Album:

Fall Line Jack Johnson On and On

Flutes Of Chi Ween White Pepper

Manipulator Marginal Man 20 Years Of Dischord

Respiration BlackStar Mos Def & Talib Kweli are BlackStar

Oppress Yourself Lungfish Artificial Horizon

The Infanta The Decemberists Picaresque

Body Bush Sixteen Stone

Out of the Picture Son Volt Trace

2 Rights Make 1 Wrong Mogwai Rock Action

Rejoice Pedro the Lion Control

All of Your Might Jay Farrar Stone, Steel & Bright Lights

The View Modest Mouse Good News for People Who Love Bad News

Red Morning Light Kings of Leon Youth and Young Manhood

Fell, Destroyed Fugazi Red Medicine

Pacifico Ugly Casanova Sharpen Your Teeth

Rowboat Johnny Cash American II: Unchained

Fix You Coldplay X&Y

Wishbone Clutch The Elephant Riders

Red Rain The White Stripes Get Behind Me Satan

We've Been Had [Live] Uncle Tupelo 89/93: An Anthology

Black Out Special Immortal Technique The Silenced Revolution

Virginia Reel Around the Fountain Built To Spill Live

One By One All Day The Shins Oh, Inverted World

Pot Kettle Black Wilco Yankee Hotel Foxtrot

If All Else Fails My Morning Jacket The Tennessee Fire

the irony of it all Streets Original Pirate Material

Atlantic City Hank Williams III Lovesick, Broke & Driftin'

Pretty Girl Ween 2 Golden Country Greats

My iPod goes like this:

The Appleseed Cast - "Peregrine"

The Appleseed Cast - "Two Conversations"

Brand New - "Deja Entendu"

Copeland - "In Motion"

Death Cab for Cutie - "Plans"

Death Cab for Cutie - "Transatlanticism"

Jimmy Eat World - "Bleed American"

Jimmy Eat World - "Clarity"

Jimmy Eat World - "Futures"

The Killers - "Hot Fuss"

Mae - "Destination: Beautiful"

Mae - "The Everglow"

Northstar - "Pollyanna"

The Postal Service - "Give Up"

Rooney - "Rooney"

Snow Patrol - "Eyes Open"

Snow Patrol - "Final Straw"

Stars - "Set Yourself on Fire"

Third Eye Blind - "Third Eye Blind"

Waking Ashland - "Composure"

Yellowcard - "Ocean Avenue"

Party Shuffle:

Song: Artist: Album:

Fall Line Jack Johnson On and On

Flutes Of Chi Ween White Pepper

Manipulator Marginal Man 20 Years Of Dischord

Respiration BlackStar Mos Def & Talib Kweli are BlackStar

Oppress Yourself Lungfish Artificial Horizon

The Infanta The Decemberists Picaresque

Body Bush Sixteen Stone

Out of the Picture Son Volt Trace

2 Rights Make 1 Wrong Mogwai Rock Action

Rejoice Pedro the Lion Control

All of Your Might Jay Farrar Stone, Steel & Bright Lights

The View Modest Mouse Good News for People Who Love Bad News

Red Morning Light Kings of Leon Youth and Young Manhood

Fell, Destroyed Fugazi Red Medicine

Pacifico Ugly Casanova Sharpen Your Teeth

Rowboat Johnny Cash American II: Unchained

Fix You Coldplay X&Y

Wishbone Clutch The Elephant Riders

Red Rain The White Stripes Get Behind Me Satan

We've Been Had [Live] Uncle Tupelo 89/93: An Anthology

Black Out Special Immortal Technique The Silenced Revolution

Virginia Reel Around the Fountain Built To Spill Live

One By One All Day The Shins Oh, Inverted World

Pot Kettle Black Wilco Yankee Hotel Foxtrot

If All Else Fails My Morning Jacket The Tennessee Fire

the irony of it all Streets Original Pirate Material

Atlantic City Hank Williams III Lovesick, Broke & Driftin'

Pretty Girl Ween 2 Golden Country Greats

Did you mean "Redefinition" by Black Star? That's a great, great song.

(Edit: Neymind, I forgot about "Respiration". Anyway, Redefinition is still a kick-ass song.:D)

Anyway, some good stuff on here. I love Uncle Tupelo and both its offspring.

I've got about 2800 songs on my Ipod. I like the fact that I can put everything in one place. Its great!

Some of mine...

.38 Special

3 Doors Down

AC/DC

Aerosmith

Alice in Chains

Allman Bros.

America

Bad Company

The Band

The Beatles

Bob Seger

Candlebox

The Cars

Cheap Trick

David Bowie

Def Leppard

Derek & the Dominos

Eagles

Elton John

Elvis

Fleetwood Mac

Free

Guns N' Roses

Heart

james Brown

James Ingram

Johnny Cash

Live

Lynyrd Skynyrd

Metallica

Michael Jackson

Neil Young

Oasis

Paul McCartney

Police

Rascal Flatts

Rolling Stones

Sam cooke

Scorpions

Shinedown

Soundgarden

Stevie Wonder

Tesla

Tom Petty

U2

Van Halen

Van Morrison

Whietsnake

Whitney Houston

Willie Nelson

I kinda just paged down and picked a few from each screen!

You know, a cool thing to do if you have some free time is to put your ipod on shuffle, and then list the first ten songs played. It is pretty fun.

This is what this thread should be all about - put your iPod or other mp3 player on shuffle and list the first 10 songs. No cheating to make yourself look cool, you have to really post the first 10 songs and give a little one-sentence blurb about why the song is there. Even if the randomizing feature is screwed up and you get four Yanni songs in your first ten - no cheating!

The Onion AV club has a regular feature where they do this with minor celebrities called Random Rules.

I'll start this off:

1. South Saturn Delta, Jimi Hendrix. I can only assume this is one of my wife's spite CDs that she took from her ex, because it's not mine.

2. Choctaw Hayride, Alison Krauss and Union Station. Alison Krauss is usually alright when she stays close to her roots and plays bluegrass. This is from a pretty good live CD.

3. I'll Always Love You Just the Same, Charlie Parker. A track off of the great Complete Savoy recordings by the Jazz legend.

4. Searchin', Ce Ce Peniston - No idea what this is, must be the wife's.

5. Nobody Falls Like, The Dead Milkmen. Off the Milkmen's weakest CD, Not Richard But Dick. I love most of their stuff, but this album only has a handful of tracks that I can listen to.

6. Hold On My Heart, Phil Collins. Back in the day I was a big Phil Collins fan, and Serious Hits Live is still a good album. But since about '90 or '95 he's turned into a generic adult contemporary singer I simply can't listen to.

7. Green Pastures In the Sky, Ralph Stanley and the Clinch Mt. Boys. You really don't get much better American roots music than Ralph Stanley. I'll be telling my grandkids that I once saw him play at the Ram's Head.

8. Different Drummer, Black '47. I love Black '47 ever since I saw their video of 40 Shades of Blue on 120 minutes 15 years ago. Gotta love an Irish/American band that sings about drinking, losing women and revolution, usually in that order.

9. A Rose Among the Thorns, Ralph Stanley. More great stuff from Stanley.

10. Lake of Fire, Nirvana. From MTV Unplugged album. Nirvana is sometimes overrated because they went out in their prime and never had that long, slow decline. But this is a top notch album, with almost every song as good today as when they recorded it 15 years ago.

I have something along the lines of 600 albums on my ipod, so I'm gonna follow Drungo's lead:

1) Spike the Senses by Of Montreal - From their "Satanic Panic in the Attic " album. I never think to play their music, but when it comes on my ipod I can't get enough of them.

2) Warped the Wood Floors by Cursive - To be honest, I haven't listened to Cursive anywhere near as much as I should have. I don't know this album at all.

3) When Ya Get Drafted by the Dead Kennedys - "If you can't afford a slick attorney, then we might make you a spy."

4) Hold Ya Mouf' by Dizzee Rascal - I have a thing for British rappers. Especially Dizzee - there's something so awesome about rendering the English language incomprehensible!

5) Momma by Ghostface Killah - I wish I were Ghostface Killah. I'd be so much cooler than I am now. And I'd be able to rap.

6) Here Come the Bastards by Primus - Primus is another example of a band where I have much of their music, and I have never given it the listen that it truly deserves. But the titles of the songs amuse me so.

7) Breaking the Dawn by Washington Social Club - Good album, and even better live shows. They are my favorite live band after the defunct Dismemberment plan.

8) Bye by Elliott Smith - He made such beautiful music. You can't help but try to analyze every lyric, and sometimes the beauty gets lost in the disection, but damn if it isn't beautiful.

9) Spiderman vs. Batman vs. Wonderwoman on the Rag by David Cross - Does stand-up count? I wish I were David Cross, as well. David Cross or Ghostface Killah, or some combination thereof

10) New Word Order by the Non-Prophets - The Non-Prophets are Sage Francis and Joe Beats, and they rule. I think they only have the one album.

This is what this thread should be all about - put your iPod or other mp3 player on shuffle and list the first 10 songs. No cheating to make yourself look cool, you have to really post the first 10 songs and give a little one-sentence blurb about why the song is there. Even if the randomizing feature is screwed up and you get four Yanni songs in your first ten - no cheating!

The Onion AV club has a regular feature where they do this with minor celebrities called Random Rules.

I'll start this off:

1. South Saturn Delta, Jimi Hendrix. I can only assume this is one of my wife's spite CDs that she took from her ex, because it's not mine.

2. Choctaw Hayride, Alison Krauss and Union Station. Alison Krauss is usually alright when she stays close to her roots and plays bluegrass. This is from a pretty good live CD.

3. I'll Always Love You Just the Same, Charlie Parker. A track off of the great Complete Savoy recordings by the Jazz legend.

4. Searchin', Ce Ce Peniston - No idea what this is, must be the wife's.

5. Nobody Falls Like, The Dead Milkmen. Off the Milkmen's weakest CD, Not Richard But Dick. I love most of their stuff, but this album only has a handful of tracks that I can listen to.

6. Hold On My Heart, Phil Collins. Back in the day I was a big Phil Collins fan, and Serious Hits Live is still a good album. But since about '90 or '95 he's turned into a generic adult contemporary singer I simply can't listen to.

7. Green Pastures In the Sky, Ralph Stanley and the Clinch Mt. Boys. You really don't get much better American roots music than Ralph Stanley. I'll be telling my grandkids that I once saw him play at the Ram's Head.

8. Different Drummer, Black '47. I love Black '47 ever since I saw their video of 40 Shades of Blue on 120 minutes 15 years ago. Gotta love an Irish/American band that sings about drinking, losing women and revolution, usually in that order.

9. A Rose Among the Thorns, Ralph Stanley. More great stuff from Stanley.

10. Lake of Fire, Nirvana. From MTV Unplugged album. Nirvana is sometimes overrated because they went out in their prime and never had that long, slow decline. But this is a top notch album, with almost every song as good today as when they recorded it 15 years ago.

LMAO! And VD was only a mere 3 days ago! :)

I agree on Nirvana Unplugged and Phil C, ditto. I must check out Black '47! :002_ssuprised:

Overall, this particular shuffle really brought out my sensitive/feminine side. Here we go...

Girl Singing In The Wreckage - Black Box Recorder

Black Box Recorder specializes in agreeable sounding pop/trip hop songs with unbelievably downbeat lyrics. This song is really them in a nutshell... is it about a plane crash? Something else? I'm not sure, but it's a downer in a cute listenable package.

Sweet Jane - Mazzy Star

Cover of the Velvet Underground song. Not a whole lot to say about it. I heart Hope Sandoval.

Please Stand Up - British Sea Power

These guys are one of more underrated bands out there. They remind me of Collective Soul, the most underappreciated band of the '90s, crossed with The Cure.

Polythene Pam - The Beatles

Perfect example of the drawback of the shuffle feature. This is one of the songs off Abbey Road, perfectly nestled in between Mean Mr. Mustard and She Came In Through The Bathroom Window. Sounds awkward to hear on its own, with a segue at the end that leads nowhere.

Everybody Daylight - Brightblack Morning Light

I don't even know how to describe this one. Gorgeous ambient song. Perfect makeout music.

Hideaway - Rock Kills Kid

Their debut album is kind of average, and this song in particular sounds a lot like a dozen other New Wave-influenced power pop songs this decade, but I think Rock Kills Kid is going to become a very good band. "Paralyzed" is a great song.

Age Of Aquarius/Let The Sunshine In - The Fifth Dimension

It's kind of amazing that these guys had absolutely nothing to do with Hair the play. They just happened to see it one day, decided to record a couple of the songs, and it made them a fortune. It's pretty much impossible not to be dancing by the end of this song.

You Went Away - Tegan and Sara

Lesbian identical twins from Canada. I told you this shuffle showed off my feminine side.

Big Sky - The Kinks

The creamy, meditative center of Village Green Preservation Society.

Teach Me Sweetheart - The Fiery Furnaces

The Fiery Furnaces are maybe my favorite band still going. They don't have a boring song in them. I think this one is from Bitter Tea.

I'll just do a shuffle on my Winamp. Same idea. This is out of 5,003 songs.

Starlight Mints - Matador

My band Private Eleanor actually opened for these guys last June at Fletcher's in Baltimore. They're from Norman, OK and are on Barsuk records, I think. I probably heard this song that night, but I don't remember it. It's off their album Drowaton. Pretty direct power-pop riff, sounds a little like Big Star.

Bloc Party - So Here We Are

This album, Silent Alarm, has been around a few years, but I just downloaded it recently. Can't say that I really know them that well, although many friends have raved about them. They have a black singer, which makes my liberal heart sing with glee. Just kidding. (About the last part.)

Sigur Ros - Svefn G Englar

YES! This song rules so hard. It's one of those rare 10-minute songs where no note feels wasted. "Marquee Moon" by Television is another good example of that. The song moves at a glacial pace, repeating the same four chords for most of the song. The lyrics, like all Sigur Ros songs, are in the band's made-up "Hopelandic" dialect. But the instrumentation is absolutely gorgeous, as is the chorus of "IT'S YOUUUUUUUUUU!" (the only actual, non-imaginary lyrics in the entire song). Oh snap, here comes the bridge. The closest this band gets to ever rockin' out. Did I mention that I first heard this song in a College Park dorm while extremely high? This post is getting incriminating. Moving on...

Harry Nilsson - Remember Christmas

I like what I've heard of Nilsson, but this one doesn't sound familiar. I love people who make accessible pop songs, then purposely do something to make them sound f**ked up. Also, this shuffle is making me look way cooler than I really am.

Minus the Bear - This Ain't a Surfin' Movie

Ah, everyone's favorite emo/drum 'n' bass/finger-tapping math rockers! This is from Menos El Oso. I liked their previous album better. More rockin' than this one. I do like this band, but they have their one formula, and it just gets tired sometimes.

Liam Lynch - United States of Whatever

"Then I'm throwin' dice in the alley, Officer Leroy comes up and he's like 'Hey, I thought I told you...!' ANDIMLIKEYEAHWHATEVA!" God, this song rules. Lynch was the guy who did "Sifl & Olly", the late, lamented weird-assed sock puppet show on MTV. That's where this song is from. He also recorded an album of spot-on pop song parodies titled, appropriately enough, Fake Songs. He's also directed Tenacious D's "Tribute" video, and Sarah Silverman's movie "Jesus is Magic". Funny, funny guy.

RJD2 - Let the Good Times Roll

From Deadringer. This kind of all-sample DJ record can be lame in the wrong hands, but I like RJD2. He is very rock-influenced, way more than DJ Shadow, who I like much more. But RJD2 is still good. Saying DJ Shadow is better than something isn't really saying anything. DJ Shadow is better than everything and everybody.

The Arcade Fire - Neighborhood 2 (Laika)

I was a bit late getting on the Arcade Fire boat, but damn are they good. Their vocals are very operatic. Lots of passion. I've heard good things about their live show, and I'd like to see them some time.

Genesis - She Is Beautiful

I've never listened to this before. This is definitely a Peter Gabriel song. Genesis were great, but I definitely don't like their proggy, "Come from the land of Thor" moments. Many would call me a heretic for saying so, but I vastly prefer the poppier Phil Collins era to the Gabriel era. "Cold as ice, but brittle as glass." Ugh, terrible lyric, Pete. Luckily, you got better with age.

The Appleseed Cast - Decline

This is from Low Level Owl, which MChance recommended in some other thread. This song is only a minute long, but this album is tremendous. I remember listening to TAC in college and thinking they were way to histrionic emo for my tastes, but this is more like Radiohead-ish headphone rock. I like.

Sonic Youth - Hey Joni

I wonder if this is about Joni Mitchell? I won't pretend to know this song as well as I perhaps should. This is from Daydream Nation, one of the great guitar records of the '80s. I downloaded it after reading about Sonic Youth in Michael Azerrad's book Our Band Could Be Your Life, about the American punk-indie scene of the '80s. Great book, BTW. Also, my friend Zack had a show on WMUC, the college radio station at Maryland, called "Teen Age Riot", named after the first song on this album. (My show was called "A Freak Gasoline Fight Accident".)

Gregory Isaacs - Lonely Girl

I downloaded this because of that line in Mos Def's "Ms. Fat Booty" where he quotes "If I Don't Have You". Pretty much every Isaacs song sounds exactly the same - slow, chicka-chicka rocksteady beat, and lyrics about loving and romancing The Ladies. Kind of boring.

The Arcade Fire - Virgin Mary Highway

This is from some B-sides compilation, I don't know if it's even an official release. Really poorly recorded. Moving on...

Flaming Lips - Psychiatric Explorations Of The Fetus With Needles

This is from Clouds Taste Metallic, the last album before they really became critical darlings. Great poppy psychedelia. Wow, that's 14 already, I guess time flies, huh? Might as well do one more. Make me look good, Winamp!

Modest Mouse - I Came as a Rat

From The Moon & Antarctica. Great band, great album. I wrote off this band for a long time because I disliked certain people who really liked them, and every time I heard Isaac Brock's weird backwoods twang, I would just get angry. But I'm over it now. Modest Mouse is good. Now I'm going to listen to "The Ocean Breathes Salty" because that song rules.

Fin.

Just realized that there was exactly zero rap on that shuffle. Here are the next ten, sans explanation:

Nas - Live Nigga Rap

Shins - Pink Bullets (live on KROQ)

Private Eleanor - Two by Two by Two (mastered) (What? That's what played!)

Tapes n Tapes - Omaha

Sublime - Live at E's

The Slackers - Work Song

Johnny Thunders & The Heartbreakers - Can't Keep My Eyes On You

Brazilian Girls - Lazy Lover

Lupe Fiasco - He Say She Say feat. Gemini and Sarah Green

The Doors - Roadhouse Blues

Let it roll, baby, roll. All night long.

1. Death Cab for Cutie - Passenger Seat (from Transatlanticism)

2. Led Zeppelin - Heartbreaker

3. The Rolling Stones - Memo from Turner (from Singles Collection: The London Years)

4. ABC Sports - Monday Night Football Theme (with the strings...not "Are You Ready for Some Football")

5. The Grateful Dead - And We Bid You Goodnight (from Live/Dead)

6. David Bowie - Moonage Daydream (from The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars)

7. The Rolling Stones - Monkey Man (from Let it Bleed)

8. Eric Clapton and BB King - Riding with the King (from Riding with the King)

9. Lewis Black - The Fall, Hurricanes, and Weathermen (from The White Album)

10. Queen - '39 (from A Night at the Opera)