Astros said same about Aiken/Nix. Hopefully Baltimore does better job of rainy day planning...

If I'm the Astros I'm pretty happy with how my draft turned out after the fiasco last year.

They drafted Bregman, Cameron and Tucker and have over 17 million in pool money to play with.

O's drafted a lot of guys from the Northeast. I find that surprising given most of the talent pool resides in TX, CA, FL and the Southern states generally speaking.

You get a couple good scouts out there you might find someone that was a tad bit overlooked.

Or at least have them bring back Moose jerky.

That'd be great. Wonder if they approach the 105% mark to get some HS'ers from Day 3...or is that Fenter $? I don't see them signing the first 3 picks at anything other than slot.

They were saying Fenter is as much as a million.

• Upvote 1

That'd be great. Wonder if they approach the 105% mark to get some HS'ers from Day 3...or is that Fenter $? I don't see them signing the first 3 picks at anything other than slot.

I think that Hughes could end up getting less than slot.

If I'm the Astros I'm pretty happy with how my draft turned out after the fiasco last year.

They drafted Bregman, Cameron and Tucker and have over 17 million in pool money to play with.

It'll be interesting to follow:

Brady Aiken and Jacob Nix

vs

Alex Bregman

If you want to say Cameron wouldn't have been possible without savings on Bregman, then you add Cameron to Bregman and then whomever they otherwise would have selected at 37 and with their second round pick if not saving money for Cameron to Aiken/Nix.

I don't know if they would have selected Tucker or Cameron at 1:4 (I doubt Cameron pulls the $5MM asking price without Houston having the extra money, so if Houston wanted him more than Tucker than he likely would have been the 1:4 pick).

Edited by Stotle

It'll be interesting to follow:

Brady Aiken and Jacob Nix

vs

Alex Bregman

If you want to say Cameron wouldn't have been possible without savings on Bregman, then you add Cameron to Bregman and then whomever they otherwise would have selected at 37 and with their second round pick if not saving money for Cameron to Aiken/Nix.

I don't know if they would have selected Tucker or Cameron at 1:4 (I doubt Cameron pulls the $5MM asking price without Houston having the extra money, so if Houston wanted him more than Tucker than he likely would have been the 1:4 pick).

I'm wasn't saying they are better off this way.

Just that things went pretty well after that mess last season.

I'm wasn't saying they are better off this way.

Just that things went pretty well after that mess last season.

Yeah, with or without some agent help, they did get to the one way to leverage their monster money -- get one of the top ten talents to scare off enough teams to drop. They also benefitted by Arizona NOT being in any way aggressive.

To be clear, agree completely Astros made out very well.

On the one hand, this is going to be a very fun draft class to follow through the minors. I can't remember us ever having a class with this many high upside power bats. On the other hand, with all the HS kids this is a class that can't really be judged either way for at least 4-5 years and does have a high bust potential.

That being said, I'm glad to see we went for upside with so many of these picks. The draft is really our best shot to acquire impact players.