OFFNY

2015 New York Yankees

Manfred seems to be open to just about anything. While not a bad thing by any means, I have to wonder how much of it is just lip service?

"expansion, sure, i'm open to that."

"banning the shift? Oh yea, I'm open to that."

"moving the draft? Hmm, you know what, I am open to that."

"changes to the All Star Game? After some consideration, we are open to that."

It's better than the alternative sure, but we'll see what actually happens.

Yea, I shouldn't get drawn into that. Many or most of his things he's open to seem poorly-considered. Like banning the shift, which would probably be the most fundamental change to the rules of the game in over 100 years.

I think Teixeira's comments are petty much spot on. Soccer should not be played on a MLB field. And he's not alone.

Part of the problem is that in between games, mobile lighting will be used to re-grow grass that is torn up during the soccer matches. And that is a concern to Bret Gardner who said planting and re-growing new grass so often elevates the risk of injury.

?Problem is the root system. After you put new grass down, there?s no root system, so essentially you?re running full speed on top of AstroTurf that?s sitting on top of cement. And that grass will give way, and you blow something out ? knee, ankle.?

To me, it' a bad idea.

Somehow I missed this four months ago. Personally, I'm perfectly fine with the Yankees playing on a field that is shared with a soccer team. Sure, there's a slight increase in injury risk among Orioles, but a much larger chance of injury risk among Yanks. Plus, I enjoy hallowed and sacred Yankee Stadium III being treated like a generic, multipurpose sports arena from 1977.

The Yankees have gone 26 consecutive innings without scoring a run.

The only run that they scored in the entire series against the Blue Jays was a solo home run by Mark Teixeira in the bottom of the 2nd inning on Friday night.

Good. Hopefully the Blue Jays aren't the only team that's figured them out.

This still helps the O's by putting Minnesota another game down.

That's true, but we have the opportunity to take the Twins out of it ourselves.

I would have to look it up for the actual numbers, but I don't think there is a more useless team in the majors against the Yankees than the Twins. In this century, the Twins have been absolutely awful against New York...especially in Yankee Stadium. Mentally, they just cannot beat them.

Hey Joe, shut up! I really don't think a 9 run lead is that insurmountable. Not enough to start lecturing the opposing team! flashbacks of 30-3

http://espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/story/_/id/13513446/carlos-gomez-houston-astros-tells-joe-girardi-new-york-yankees-shut-up

btw is it me or is "bench clearing" looking more like town hall meetings these days?

o

MICHAEL KAY:

The Yankees have never led their division or league by 4 games (or more) during a season and NOT wound up finishing said season in 1st place.

If it happens this year, it will be the first time ever for them in their franchise history.

“His drinking got really bad this weekend, and it put him in a really bad place,” said a source close to the team.

“He was afraid. He felt that if I don’t do this now and go into rehab, I don’t know what is going to happen.”

The last straw for Sabathia came during the team’s final regular-season series in Baltimore, where he spent most of his time pounding drinks at a hotel, the source said.

Sabathia, 35, arrived there with his teammates late Thursday after his home victory against the Red Sox clinched a playoff spot for the Yankees.

By Friday, the pitcher looked “out of it” as the team waited around Baltimore’s Camden Yards to play a game that was eventually rained out.

“He drank every day last week apart from the day he pitched,” the source said. “The tipping point was Friday when he was at the stadium. He carried on drinking Saturday.”

The team had been staying at the Four Seasons hotel during their Baltimore series. A bartender there told The Post he didn’t personally see CC, but said, “We have a strict policy. Whenever sports teams or big names come in, we give them whatever they need, no questions.

“We have 24-hour room service here,” he added. “Whatever happens in their private room is out of our control.”

http://nypost.com/2015/10/06/the-weekend-long-bender-behind-cc-sabathias-rehab-stay/

The crowd booed Brett Gardner when he grounded out in the 8th. The same Brett Gardner that has been one of their best players over the past 5 years, booed because of an 0/4 in one playoff game that is still relatively close. Then they booed Ellsbury as well.

Ugh. Yankees fans are so rotten.

The crowd booed Brett Gardner when he grounded out in the 8th. The same Brett Gardner that has been one of their best players over the past 5 years, booed because of an 0/4 in one playoff game that is still relatively close. Then they booed Ellsbury as well.

Ugh. Yankees fans are so rotten.

Both players had an awful September, so it's been brewing for a few weeks now.

Hats off to Joe Girardi. This team had no business making the playoffs. Now they're home fishing as they should be.