Sign in to follow this  
Slade-OH

Keith Law names Kevin Gausman one of his breakout picks for 2015

The article requires an insider subscription but here's a link to it

He highlighted 9 players in the article and said at the beginning, "Every March, I post a list of players who I think are primed for significant upticks in their performances in the coming season. These are players who've already lost their rookie status but either haven't performed at all in the majors or perhaps just haven't lived up to expectations."

In summary, he said he has gotten positive reports on Gausman's slider this Spring and thinks if it can become even a consistently average pitch (or better), he could be a threat for 200 K's in 2015.

With that kind of upside, I'd have to think if anyone gets pushed from the rotation to make room for our favorite $12 million albatross, it's Gonzalez. Then again, I don't think Ubaldo should be bumping anyone to begin with.

How do you see the rotation playing out? Are you on the Gausman breakout bandwagon?

• Upvote 1

Absolutely; Gausman has the ability to K 9/IP and carry a WHIP under 1.3. On the Orioles, that should translate to wins. His biggest problem is his walk rate, but it's not that high.

I'm neither on nor off the Gausman bandwagon. He's only thrown 6 innings this spring, all at home (thus against weaker lineups), and 3 of those were in a B game. However, I'm glad to hear his slider is looking better, since just about everyone agrees he can be a TOR starter if he develops a decent third pitch. He needs to be in the rotation and I trust Buck will figure a way to do that.

The article requires an insider subscription but here's a link to it

He highlighted 9 players in the article and said at the beginning, "Every March, I post a list of players who I think are primed for significant upticks in their performances in the coming season. These are players who've already lost their rookie status but either haven't performed at all in the majors or perhaps just haven't lived up to expectations."

In summary, he said he has gotten positive reports on Gausman's slider this Spring and thinks if it can become even a consistently average pitch (or better), he could be a threat for 200 K's in 2015.

With that kind of upside, I'd have to think if anyone gets pushed from the rotation to make room for our favorite $12 million albatross, it's Gonzalez. Then again, I don't think Ubaldo should be bumping anyone to begin with.

How do you see the rotation playing out? Are you on the Gausman breakout bandwagon?

I see Gonzalez or Gausman in AAA to start. I'm on the Bandwagon for both.

I see Gonzalez or Gausman in AAA to start. I'm on the Bandwagon for both.

My magic eight ball is telling me, somebody has a muscle ache or soreness and needs to spend some time on the DL. :)

I'm not quite as hype as others about Gausman this year. Statistically, there are causes for concern when it comes to expecting a jump in performance this year. His HR/FB rate (5.8 % in 2014) will almost certainly regress, and it looks like he got a bit lucky with his walk rate last season (10.0% xBB%, 8.0% BB%).

If he can locate his splitter, I'll be bullish, but I'm not penciling him in as a stud just yet.

Still worried about his slider. He is actually better against LHB with RHB hitting .273 off him for his career. That's not going to fly. Also, I would like to see his walk rate improve.

Absolutely; Gausman has the ability to K 9/IP and carry a WHIP under 1.3. On the Orioles, that should translate to wins. His biggest problem is his walk rate, but it's not that high.

Nine strikeouts per inning pitched? That would be some kind of record. :D

Gassman's fastball is electric. I've never seen a pitcher get squeezed like him in his first couple seasons. That's just the eye test on my part. I have no data.

I just felt that KG nibbled a little too much. As he gets older and gets more name recognition amongst the umpires, he's going to start getting more calls and learn how to get more calls and he's going to be really, really good. The sky is the limit. I expect a breakout too.

Hopefully this goes better than Buster Olney's breakout pick of Brian Matusz a few years ago.

Don't pick on Olney, lots of experts had high expectations of Matusz, and I am sure, some OH posters were too.

Davy Johnson would tell the guys, stop trying to strike every single hitter out and trust your defense behind you.

The OPS allowed on balls in play was noticeably lower then.

You are mostly better off striking them out.

The OPS allowed on balls in play was noticeably lower then.

You are mostly better off striking them out.

But, nibblers run up their pitch count and can't go as long, and sometimes the teams back then, didn't have depth in the bullpen.