Cubsfan21

O's deciding what picthers they want for Roberts?

How about the Santana talks? Those seem to be pretty comparable to the Roberts talks...

Yeah but those were before Spring training started. Santana gets aquainted with his new team better, by being there at the start of camp, rather than coming in midway through camp.

Ok. Let's accept the possibility that there is no precedent. What exactly is a precedent? Isn't it something that sets a new standard? Just because there is no precedent doesn't mean it ain't happening. New precedent's get set all of the time.

Bingo! This was point many pages ago...There was no precedent for the Haren and Bedard deals yet they happened.

I would say that we haven't seen many Brian Roberts caliber guys traded anytime lately, so that is why there isn't much of a precedent.

I think everybody needs to read between the lines here.It is almost certain that both teams have agreed on Gallagher and Cedeno.I know Am really likes Patterson so there is your third player.I believe if Am wants the Cubs to take Payton then he is looking for high risk high reward type prospect just like Hendry did with getting Ceda from the Padres for Todd Walker which at the time no one heard of Ceda.A guy like Suarzez fits the bill there.The question I have for Orioles fans would you trade a guy like Adam Jones for a good second baseman slash lead off hitter if you were a contending team.You look at Pie numbers and Jones numbers there both comparable in the minors and are the same age with not much mlb experience.

In what twisted warped world would Brian Roberts ever consider extending with us right now?

There is a 0% chance he agrees to an extension with the future of the franchise in doubt.

I honestly believe the odds of Brian Roberts being an Oriole in 2010 are higher if we trade him between now and July than if we don't and then try to extend him after 2009.

I know what you're saying. I guess I just dream of a lineup composed of Roberts, Markakis, Wieters, Jones, Teixeira, Rowell, Alvarez/Smoak, Scott/Snyder, etc., by 2010 or 2011.

In what twisted warped world would Brian Roberts ever consider extending with us right now?

There is a 0% chance he agrees to an extension with the future of the franchise in doubt.

I honestly believe the odds of Brian Roberts being an Oriole in 2010 are higher if we trade him between now and July than if we don't and then try to extend him after 2009.

Perhaps not "right now," but, yes, I can definitely see Roberts extending with the Orioles.

I disagree with your assertion that the future of the franchise is in doubt. It looks to me that, under AM's direction, the future of the franchise is finally looking pretty darn good. Once all this trade uncertainty is behind us, I believe Roberts will see that as well.

In fact, I think, in retrospect, Roberts will feel pretty good about the Orioles, in that they were not anxious to get rid of him and refused to take less than they felt he was worth - and they obviously think he is worth a lot!

If the Orioles do, in fact, decide to take a run at signing Tex, you can bet that Roberts would be very impressed with where the Orioles are going. I believe that signing one of those two guys next off-season may very well end up being the catalyst for signing the other one.

Such a turn of events would bode very well in the Orioles quest to compete in 2010 and beyond, don't you think?

Thats why Am wants to trade Roberts now.Roberts will not even think about an extension he wants to win and in that division it is preety tough with the Yanks and the Red Sox.Lets face it at the trade deadline teams are looking for pitching more than anything and maybe a power hitter slash run producer.Don't you think Roberts behind closed doors has asked Am for a trade he has said he doesn't want to be the last man standing.Roberts has said the right things for a reason Am knows if he demands a trade his value goes down a little.