scOtt

When you played, finger in or out of the glove?

Index finger in or out of the glove?  

83 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. Index finger in or out of the glove?

• In
    • Out
    • I'm old enough I played barehanded

Great topic. I wasn't even aware that keeping the pinky and ring finger together was even an option. Curious to give that a try.

When it was an open back glove, finger was out. But on a "Fastback" or "Holdster" (I think that was the Rawlings terminology), I couldn't get the finger out as I did just what you did. To this day, I'm far more more comfy with pinky and third finger in the pinky slot. I still have my glove from when I played from 12 to 18. The Brooks Robinson model circa '74. BrooksGlove.jpg

Wilson Jimmy Piersall model for me. I also still have mine. It's one of my treasured possessions.

I lusted after a Rawlings glove, but could never give up the Wilson.

When I played softball, I moved my fingers to the left to free up the index finger slot. Not that it made any difference. Our team was so terrible that we used Michael Jackson as a mascot, because we all wore a glove on one hand for no apparent reason.

Out. Then again, I always had a Rawlings glove with the special hole for your index finger only. I was the only kid with one like it in LL. After I saw Cesar Cedeno using one that's the one I had to have.

Always in... I think it may have had something to do with me not physically maturing as soon as most boys my age and my hands being so darn small. Once I finally did grow, i was so used to it being in it didn't matter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just for fun. Did you put your index finger out over the glove? Or tucked in safe and sound?

I believe it was out. But it's been well over 50 years ago when I played.

Next question: did you have 10 inch strings hanging from your glove like Manny?

I was obsessive about keeping all the leather strings tied and tight. I even re-strung mine a few times and took some heel padding out as I heard Brooks did that.

Other notes about things mentioned in this thread:

- I used a batting glove as a kid as it was trendy (but only at bat, not under my glove in the field). But as I got older, I abandoned it. I liked the feel of the bat (and glove leather) in my hand.

- I was also fond of wooden bats and went against the grain and used wood only as I got to high school, even through the adult leagues. Guys would yell "Here comes a Woody. Pull in." And I'd hit it over the joker's head ;)

Out. I used a Mizuno glove (which I still own) for most of my playing days and it was a little too painful to the index finger when you caught a line drive or hard throw right in the web. I tried wearing a batting glove under the glove once but it just felt wrong.

I had a MacGregor. Smaller, like 2B/SS glove. My cousin had a MacG, much bigger, more like an outfielder's glove. It was actually his Dad's. That thing... sucked in balls like a black hole! Best glove I ever used.

And out. Never used a glove batting or fielding.

When it was an open back glove, finger was out. But on a "Fastback" or "Holdster" (I think that was the Rawlings terminology), I couldn't get the finger out as I did just what you did. To this day, I'm far more more comfy with pinky and third finger in the pinky slot. I still have my glove from when I played from 12 to 18. The Brooks Robinson model circa '74. BrooksGlove.jpg

Mine was actually a Joe Morgan model. :P With the Adjusta-wrist. Whatever that was.

When I played softball, I moved my fingers to the left to free up the index finger slot. Not that it made any difference. Our team was so terrible that we used Michael Jackson as a mascot, because we all wore a glove on one hand for no apparent reason.

You're a southpaw?