Sign in to follow this  
Frobby

Our best hitting outfield since 2003?

I've been reading this thread and I just have to jump in here.

Back in the 50's and 60's there was a real adjustment between leagues. Most players spent their whole career in one league or the other, and did not know the players in the other league. Starting with free agency, in the 70's, that has changed. To the point now that the DH rule is the only major difference between the leagues. From one year to the next, one league or the other may have more ace pitchers, but that will fluctuate.

Very few players stay with the same team long nowadays, or even in the same league. There is interleague play. Umpires are no longer AL or NL umpires, they are MLB umpires. The strike zone differences are gone. There is no real "adjustment" between leagues any more, excepting the fact that a pitcher traded from an AL team to an NL team has to take BP and learn to bunt.

Sorry, but to base a projection that Luke Scott will suddenly hit worse, by a wide margin, than he ever has in his life simply because he is switching from the NL to the AL is not realistic in today's game.

Well, you can think I have no evidence which is fine but I actually have as much as anyone here because Scott hasn't played in the AL so his stats are actually just a guess. Again, my guess is as good as anyone else's and I base it on two main reasons:1) the NL is a weaker league and 2) he is going to have trouble adjusting.

You can disagree with this reasoning but I do have a basis, not just pure random thought.

You're certainly entitled to your opinion. Everyone is...

You're certainly entitled to your opinion. Everyone is...

Player A Luke Scott

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI BB SO SB BA OBP SLG OPS+

Projection 431 60 109 26 4 20 98 54 97 3 .252 .340 .471 111

Opt. (15%) 473 72 139 33 5 25 113 71 84 5 .294 .392 .543 143

Pes. (15%) 390 42 93 19 2 12 52 48 91 0 .238 .324 .390 87

Player B Miguel Tejada

AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI BB SO SB BA OBP SLG OPS+

Projection 584 77 177 31 2 19 89 43 72 3 .303 .359 .461 111

Opt. (15%) 608 95 200 38 3 24 102 56 68 7 .329 .394 .520 135

Pes. (15%) 536 59 149 24 0 13 65 30 75 0 .278 .320 .396 85

Player C Lastings Milledge

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI BB SO SB BA OBP SLG

Projection 392 55 108 20 4 15 60 42 88 7 .276 .360 .462

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Opt. (15%) 547 91 162 33 6 28 98 71 107 12 .296 .390 .532

Pes. (15%) 362 44 89 17 2 12 48 36 85 3 .246 .323 .403

O5F, please answer me this, which player from this list do you want? What player would you not want?

Tejada is a former MVP there is no comparison.

What does this even mean?

Ichiro Suzuki won the MVP the year before Tejada. Does HE have more power than Luke Scott?

This is pioneering new heights of nonsense.

Ichiro Suzuki won the MVP the year before Tejada. Does HE have more power than Luke Scott?

One time I tried to reason with a brick wall to move out of my way. Long story short, eventually I had to give up and walk around it.

One time I tried to reason with a brick wall to move out of my way. Long story short, eventually I had to give up and walk around it.

It's like a Zen koan. There's no answer, but we'll all be smarter for having gone through the process.

Its like throwing a lacrosse ball against a wall. The wall never learns how to catch, but keeps throwing it right back at you.

If he's all of that how come he got so few at bats?
It seems as if the Stros treated him as a platoon guy even though he has always shown the ability to hit lefties.
You can spin it your way and I can spin it mine
And your way is clearly wrong.

You really don't think you can look at his career numbers and see that he is likely to hit 20-30 homers if he is given 500+ at bats?

You really disagree with that? You really think what he has done throughout his whole pro career isn't a good indication?

No, what it means is it is stupid (at least to me) to try to compare Luke Scott to Miguel Tejada. Kind of like comparing Jack Cust to Jason Giambi. Giambi, like Tejada is a well established all-star caliber Major Leaguer who has won and MVP and Cust and Scott are not.

No, what it means is it is stupid (at least to me) to try to compare Luke Scott to Miguel Tejada. Kind of like comparing Jack Cust to Jason Giambi. Giambi, like Tejada is a well established all-star caliber Major Leaguer who has won and MVP and Cust and Scott are not.

No one compared them, you just don't understand.

His point was that Scott hit as many homers in 150 less ab's as Tejada did last year. Don't you think that shows Scott has good power?

It seems as if the Stros treated him as a platoon guy even though he has always shown the ability to hit lefties.And your way is clearly wrong.

You really don't think you can look at his career numbers and see that he is likely to hit 20-30 homers if he is given 500+ at bats?

You really disagree with that? You really think what he has done throughout his whole pro career isn't a good indication?

I simply have never bought that stuff that you guys believe that minor league numbers automatically can be translated into major league numbers. I simply don't believe to be all that accurate with specific players, maybe in general but that to me effectively renders it as a useless tool.

I simply have never bought that stuff that you guys believe that minor league numbers automatically can be translated into major league numbers. I simply don't believe to be all that accurate with specific players, maybe in general but that to me effectively renders it as a useless tool.

Ok, while this is stupid, that's fine. BTW, no one has ever said it automatically translates, just that it is a good prediction tool and clearly it is.

Look at what he has done in the majors though...His HR per AB ratio is very good and shows him to be a 20-30 homer guy over the course of 500+ at bats. Are you really going to denying this fact?

The National League is not a minor league.