Bigbie03

Sun-Times says O's want Cedeno, Gallagher, and 2 more prospects

How about getting Murton then packaging him with a prospect for a blocked SS. Let Cedeno play 2nd or get a blocked 2nd baseman and let Cedeno stay at SS. Maybe we could include Murton and a Pitcher and get Duran from the Rangers or move him to the Pads or Indians. Im sure after Spring training teams will be in need of a player like Murton.

I'm not so sure. Murton is a good hitter, but his inflexibility in the field makes it hard for teams to carry him.

His only position is left field. All outfielders can play left field. As a 4th or 5th outfielder, most teams want someone that can play all 3 spots reasonably well, or at least both corners or first base. Remember, since nearly all teams carry 12 pitchers, there are only 5 bench spots (4 plus the DH in the AL.) Typically the mix is something like 2 OF's, 2 UT inf, and a C. Even in the AL, teams like for their primary DH to have some fielding capability and flexibility, unless they happen to have an Ortiz-type stud.

This was evidenced by Texas deciding to pass on a Murton-for-Byrd offer from the Cubs. Texas figures to have a Catalanotto/Nelson Cruz platoon in LF as of now, and there aren't many teams that would figure to possibly be more interested in a Murton than the Rangers. Yet they said no.

His marketability is pretty much limited to teams for whom he would be the clear-cut starter at LF or DH. Even then, a team may have salary issues that make cutting or trading the player blocking Murton problematic (like Huff or Gibbons with the Orioles.)

EPat faces this type of issue, as well. From what I've read, he is rated too far below ML average at 2B to be viable there, and lacks the arm for CF or RF. His bat, his speed, and the fact that he can fill in at 2B and possibly CF in an emergency, mitigates this concern slightly in his case, but it is still an issue.

But he'll outhit Scott this year. The Cubs fans say so.

Sounds like you're incredulous. Curious, how many Orioles do you expect will outhit Murton this year?

The list is short... 3 or 4 is probably being generous. It could easily be just 1 or 2. Last year it was 3, IIRC.

So the Cubs can't give away a guy that would instantly improve the middle of the O's lineup. Not sure you ought to be crowing too loudly about that.

Because we don't need a player like Murton. We already have a stockpile of LF/1B/DH type players and he just adds to it. He has been declining and at his best is a part-time player.

So it doesn't matter if Murton is better, cheaper, and younger than all, but one of them (Scott)? And can you really call a player who has played just 2 professional seasons declining? At his best, he is mostly an everyday player who mashes LHP and puts up respectable numbers against all but the toughest RHP, which is when he would find himself on the bench.

We already have Jones, Markakis, Scott, Payton, Redman, Roberson, and Reimold (in the wings) for the outfield. If we trade Payton to the Cubs, I'll be "okay" with getting Murton back. However, if we add Murton to the names listed above, we'll have a cluster**** in the outfield.

Jones in CF, Markakis in RF, Scott at DH/LF...Payton? Redman? Roberson?? None of those guys should prevent us from acquiring Murton...we could cut each of them without missing a beat.

Reimold is a guy to watch, but he still hasn't proven anything above AA yet. If he forces the FO's hand at some point, I don't think it will be tough to move a guy from the glut of players that occupy the same position.

If we have a chance to acquire a guy like Murton who is better than most of the players that play the same spot, we shouldn't let concerns about playing time prevent us from acquiring him.

And who is the alternative? Is it Patterson? I personally don't have much confidence in the bat of Patterson not to mention his questionable defense. Veal? Talented pitcher, but struggled mightily with his control and we know the risk of attrition in young pitchers. Ceda? Talented, but a very long ways away and again there is a risk with pitchers. Colvin? One of the most overrated prospects in baseball.

Murton is about as much of a sure thing as Roberts, is still relatively young and would be under our control for a long time. I don't see why anybody would be opposed to him being included in this deal.

Sounds like you're incredulous. Curious, how many Orioles do you expect will outhit Murton this year?

The list is short... 3 or 4 is probably being generous. It could easily be just 1 or 2. Last year it was 3, IIRC.

So the Cubs can't give away a guy that would instantly improve the middle of the O's lineup. Not sure you ought to be crowing too loudly about that.

I'm not sure what all the hating on Murton is all about either.

I don't think anybody's crowing about it, Dave. Being saddled with contracts like Gibbons' hurts us in so many ways. It is just a fact that it is hard for us to do a deal that has Murton coming back when we have Gibbons, Huff, Mora, and Millar. Even with Payton going to the Cubs, it would be hard to get Scott and Murton their at bats when we are trying to get the other four enough at bats to possibly get some teams interested in them. Tough spot. Who knows, maybe PA will decide to bite the bullet and cut Gibbons, but I would doubt it.

Don't hate Murton. Just facing facts as to the limitations of where you can play him. If we didn't already get Scott, I'd be all over him. I think the guy is a good hitter.

It's mainly coming from outside sources - like Gammons, the Rangers, and... the Cubs. From Rotoworld:

Update: The Cubs continue to express interest in Byrd, but Texas is wanting more than just outfielder Matt Murton in return according to the team’s web site.

It's mainly coming from outside sources - like Gammons, the Rangers, and... the Cubs. From Rotoworld:

That's called trade negotiations and has nothing to do with "hating." Does Roberts have microscopic value since no one has accepted what you want for him?

Markakis & Jones are locks. That leaves Scott in LF, Huff & Millar at 1B/DH. Murton is not a significant, if any, imrpovement over any of those players. As long as those guys are on the team, Murton is a platoon in LF at best. The only good reason to get Murton is to flip him, and it doesn't look like there's a lot of interest out there.

Markakis & Jones are locks. That leaves Scott in LF, Huff & Millar at 1B/DH. Murton is not a significant, if any, imrpovement over any of those players. As long as those guys are on the team, Murton is a platoon in LF at best. The only good reason to get Murton is to flip him, and it doesn't look like there's a lot of interest out there.

I wouldn't necessarily count on Jones as a lock to out hit. Lets face it he only hit .260 last year so improvement to say .280 would likely not be as good as Murton's at, near, or slightly over .300. I honestly prefer Murton to Millar & personally I would bring him in & maybe give him a half a season at AAA to play 1B.

Murton > Huff & Millar, especially once you take age into account.

And Jones isn't a lock to outproduce Murton, either, though his prospect status/potential make him more valuable.

Don't hate Murton. Just facing facts as to the limitations of where you can play him. If we didn't already get Scott, I'd be all over him. I think the guy is a good hitter.

So, stick the worst of the two defensive players in the DH role. We haven't had someone there worth a damn since I can remember anyway, what a waste of the DH spot.

Murton > Huff & Millar, especially once you take age into account.

And Jones isn't a lock to outproduce Murton, either, though his prospect status/potential make him more valuable.

I didn't mean to imply that Jones was a lock to outhit Murton, just that Jones & Markakis are locks to hold down CF & RF. I agree that Murton is more valuable than Huff & Millar but as long as the O's have those two guys, there's no reason to get Murton.

Latest from the Sun:

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/baseball/bal-osnotes0228,0,2773295.story

Nothing really new here, but there's certainly a lot of smoke billowing out.

On a day when two Chicago Cubs scouts were on hand to watch him play, Orioles second baseman Brian Roberts stood out in the Orioles' otherwise dreary exhibition season debut today. Roberts went 1-for-2 with a walk, an RBI double, a run scored and two stolen bases in the Orioles' 16-3 loss to the Florida Marlins at Fort Lauderdale Stadium.
Looking for a leadoff hitter to jumpstart their offense and get on base ahead of sluggers Alfonso Soriano, Aramis Ramirez and Derrek Lee, the Cubs have targeted Roberts for months and there is a sense in the industry that the uncertainty with second baseman Mark DeRosa could accelerate the trade talks. DeRosa underwent a procedure today to correct an irregular heartbeat.
The Orioles are believed to be looking for a package that includes pitcher Sean Gallagher, shortstop Ronny Cedeno, pitching prospects Jose Ceda and¸or Donald Veal and perhaps one other player.
The Orioles will dispatch a scout to Arizona to look at some of the players being discussed next week. While both sides still feel confident that a deal could get done, talks are expected to continue for a couple more weeks.