Bigbie03

Sun-Times says O's want Cedeno, Gallagher, and 2 more prospects

Patterson has always been the guy to get IMO. I've been saying that off season I liked what I saw from him the handful of times I saw him play. Getting him and Cedeno both would be nice, if possible.

Patterson's speed and potential spot (Oh man I sound like Dusty Baker--the leadoff position) in the lineup looks good to me.

I too would love to get Patterson. The defense scares me a little, but we don't have much to lose this year and are in the position where we can really try to get him to learn the position and improve. His bat is really what is the most projectible though and I'd love to have it.

I know that this was possibly the writers own speculation but everyone completely ignored this last piece in the article,

If the Cubs add anyone before the season starts, it's more likely they'll land an established outfielder who can back up all three spots, such as Boston's Coco Crisp or (less likely) Texas' Marlon Byrd.

Maybe you guys think that will be Payton but I would take Byrd or Crisp over Payton and I think the Cubs would as well.

The fact that they even wrote an article like this tells me that they are content with DeRosa and no Roberts. My hopes are beginning to fade even more now and they weren't that high.

-

I know that this was possibly the writers own speculation but everyone completely ignored this last piece in the article,

Maybe you guys think that will be Payton but I would take Byrd or Crisp over Payton and I think the Cubs would as well.

The fact that they even wrote an article like this tells me that they are content with DeRosa and no Roberts. My hopes are beginning to fade even more now and they weren't that high.

-

I know davearm is Hendry (at least I'm pretty sure), but I believe he opined a few weeks back that the Cubs landing Crisp may be the trigger that makes Pie available.

Maybe we're waiting for dominoes to fall in Chicago before a Roberts deal gets done.

How many options, if any, remain for Murton, Cedeno and Patterson?

Cedeno has none; Murton and Patterson each have two.

How many options, if any, remain for Murton, Cedeno and Patterson?

Ronny Cedeno: ZERO options

His contract was purchased in November 2003. He was optioned in March 2004. He was optioned in March 2005. He spent all of 2006 in the majors. He was optioned for a 3rd and final time in May 2007.

Matt Murton: ONE option

He had his contract purchased in July 2005. His first option was used in August 2005. He spent all of 2006 in the majors. His second option was used June 2007.

Eric Patterson: TWO options

Patterson had his contract purchased in August 2007. He was optioned a week later.

I too would love to get Patterson. The defense scares me a little, but we don't have much to lose this year and are in the position where we can really try to get him to learn the position and improve. His bat is really what is the most projectible though and I'd love to have it.

Actually, with our young and inexperienced pitching staff, I think having a substandard fielder in our middle infield would be the last thing we could afford to do.

Reports of Patterson's fielding problems at 2B scare me. The Cubs are planning on him being an outfielder.

We've gone over this a thousand times.

Patton's shoulder problem is not new.

But how it heals is what's not been known. They still don't know if surgery is going to be necessary.

Also, what makes you think Gallagher is ML ready? He's had 8 games at AAA, and was hammered just as badly (slightly worse, actually) as Liz was in his brief ML call-up last year.

I never said I knew. But for a rebuilding team, he's worth a look. He's very similar to Patton.

Actually, with our young and inexperienced pitching staff, I think having a substandard fielder in our middle infield would be the last thing we could afford to do.

I agree that it would be ideal to have solid defense behind our young pitchers, but we're in a position where we should be taking chances on talented players. Patterson is talented offensively and if he can improve defensively, he will become an extremely valuable commodity. Frankly, I think the psychological effects of having a stellar defense behind the young pitchers are a bit overstated. They are there to pitch well and shouldn't be dissuaded from doing such just b/c a guy behind them is having trouble.

I agree that it would be ideal to have solid defense behind our young pitchers, but we're in a position where we should be taking chances on talented players. Patterson is talented offensively and if he can improve defensively, he will become an extremely valuable commodity. Frankly, I think the psychological effects of having a stellar defense behind the young pitchers are a bit overstated. They are there to pitch well and shouldn't be dissuaded from doing such just b/c a guy behind them is having trouble.

It isn't the psychological effects that concern me. It's the inability of Patterson to field ground balls and throw out runners at an acceptable rate for a ML 2b. I'm all for taking chances on high-upside guys, and I guess I wouldn't complain if Patterson is a 3rd or 4th guy in the deal (depending on the first 2). Still, as it now stands, Patterson would need to be a much better offensive player than Roberts in order to make him tolerable at 2b. I just don't see a magic switch being flipped and EPat figuring out how to play IF at the ML level if he hasn't been able to do it in the high minors...

It isn't the psychological effects that concern me. It's the inability of Patterson to field ground balls and throw out runners at an acceptable rate for a ML 2b. I'm all for taking chances on high-upside guys, and I guess I wouldn't complain if Patterson is a 3rd or 4th guy in the deal (depending on the first 2). Still, as it now stands, Patterson would need to be a much better offensive player than Roberts in order to make him tolerable at 2b. I just don't see a magic switch being flipped and EPat figuring out how to play IF at the ML level if he hasn't been able to do it in the high minors...

Where are the stats that back this up? Is there a comparison of Roberts' and Patterson's defense buried in another thread?

Where are the stats that back this up? Is there a comparison of Roberts' and Patterson's defense buried in another thread?

Well, the easiest to cite is the BA write-up for this year's book. I've posted it several times, but here we go again ;)

"Despite his athleticism, Patterson never has gotten the hang of playing second base. He doesn't read balls well off the bat or range well to his right. He began seeing time in LF and CF in May and player there exclusively in August. He has solid CF range but a below-average arm for the OF. He doesn't have the arm to play SS, 3b or RF, so he's somewhat limited as a utilityman."

Patterson was actually ranked as the 5th best defensive second baseman in the minor leagues by The Baseball Analysts prior to last season.

He did make a lot of errors in the minors last year, it's true, but I don't think he's proven himself unable to play 2B by any means.

A Cubs board I was reading the other day featured their fans arguing about Patterson's defense and future prospects. Some strong opinions all over the spectrum, but hardly any consensus.

Patterson was actually ranked as the 5th best defensive second baseman in the minor leagues by The Baseball Analysts prior to last season.

He did make a lot of errors in the minors last year, it's true, but I don't think he's proven himself unable to play 2B by any means.

A Cubs board I was reading the other day featured their fans arguing about Patterson's defense and future prospects. Some strong opinions all over the spectrum, but hardly any consensus.

If Patterson were included as a 3rd player in a deal to get Roberts for 2 years, I think that speaks volumes as to how confident the Cubs are that he will not stick at 2b.

I note that he shifted out to CF/LF last May and stayed there for the remainder of the year. Wouldn't it have been a good idea to work him at 2b if they thought he'd be there long term?