Bigbie03

Sun-Times says O's want Cedeno, Gallagher, and 2 more prospects

EPat has to be willing to be willing to work at it but i think he could be an average defensive second baseman and with his bat, that makes him an above average second baseman overall.

Well, the mind may be willing, but.........

And why does no one else find it odd that this talented offensive prospect who obviously needs reps at 2b to improve was moved off of 2b for a huge chunk of last summer?

His bat could be great...it may have to be elite.

Cedeno, EPat, Gallagher and one of Ceda/Veal/Colvin for Payton, BRob and 2 million dollars.

I'd prefer Cedeno, Gallagher, Murton, and Ceda personally.

That would be a move I would make. Has anyone seen EPat play 2nd base and in their opinion just how poor is he? Is it footwork only, or does he not show adequate range and/or arm strenght? I'm only asking because I've never seen him, but his offensive potential looks very good.

Yes, I've seen him. I don't like his defensive play at 2B at all. He has poor instincts, poor footwork and lateral range, bad arm strength for anywhere but 2B - really, the BA write-up was pretty spot-on. Right now he's pretty much a LF/UT you'd like to make into a CF.

If that bat carries him, great. You just have to cross your fingers that BA is way off in their assessment. It's pretty strong and pretty harsh -- something they tend to avoid unless their fairly certain about what they're writing.

This also doesn't address why CHN moved him to the OF. If everyone seems to agree their are questions about him at 2b, and Murton/Pie are in the OF already, why shift him off 2b last season rather than letting him "improve" there. Seems to me CHN doesn't think he'll stick and they wanted to find a way to get his bat in the lineup.

Everything that I ever heard said he needed work at 2B. He has exceptional speed and a good bat, so the Cubs thought he should switch to the OF. 2B is more of a finesse position than the OF, so maybe it had to do with positioning, footwork, making the double play, etc. I would imagine anyone who is talented enough to make it to the majors and has played baseball their whole life ought to be a decent OF.

This also doesn't address why CHN moved him to the OF. If everyone seems to agree their are questions about him at 2b, and Murton/Pie are in the OF already, why shift him off 2b last season rather than letting him "improve" there. Seems to me CHN doesn't think he'll stick and they wanted to find a way to get his bat in the lineup.

You may not agree with the reason, but it did address why.

With Mark DeRosa in year one of a three-year contract and Mike Fontenot continuing to confound expectations, Patterson may not get a shot to play second base in the majors anytime soon.

That all makes sense. When the O's got Jones, that really took away any need for Murton - not just because Jones is an OFer, but because Jones is a RH OFer.

And Patterson is the logical guy to get - not just because he's a 2nd baseman, but because he's a leadoff hitter - which the O's have -0- candidates for - if they trade Roberts.

So, now what's happening is probably AM being AM - and holding out for another player - playing a game of poker. And I'd put my money on him getting what he wants. I think he's holding out for Colvin.

The thing that might get AM to give in is Patton's injury and nobody like Penn or Liz looking like they're going to step up - so Gallagher becomes more important to get.

Honestly ... If they trade Payton they can carry a 4th OF. Murton is better than Redman & Roberson. He is RH & so is Jones... But Nick & Scott are LH's so I am not sure your point. I think Murton would be a good fit, The fact that he's a .300 hitter w/ some power is a bonus. And I'm sure Gibbons really cant be counted on to stay healthy.

Well I'm sure you are all sick of another Cub fan being on the boards.. But I thought I'd make my entrance on this thread.

Personally, I don't think there is any way you'll be able to lure Ceda away from us. He is still a raw talent with a fastball upwards of 100, and a filthy slider.

That being said. I do believe you will be able to pull off the deal for cedeno, murton, gallagher, and veal. You get lots of upside with those arms, and a possible starting/4th outfielder for right now.

And I PROMISE not to post some of the ridiculous things that I have observed fellow Cub fans posting here. Hopefully I'll be a breath of fresh air for the OH.

• Upvote 2

Well, the mind may be willing, but.........

And why does no one else find it odd that this talented offensive prospect who obviously needs reps at 2b to improve was moved off of 2b for a huge chunk of last summer?

His bat could be great...it may have to be elite.

...not to mention the fact that they are trading for Roberts. If EPat is a talented lead-off man with speed, why trade him plus Gallagher, plus Cedeno/Murton, plus Veal/Colvin/Ceda/Hart/whoever for Roberts if EPat was viewed as anywhere near ML average at 2B? They could just keep all those guys and plug EPat in at 2B and lead him off. It just doesn't make any sense, does it? The Cubs are telling us loud and clear that they just don't see him working out at 2B, IMO.

Yes, if he's the 4th piece in a package and he has options left, I can see including him, but we would still need Cedeno in the package, IMO. Not that I'm all that high on Cedeno, but we just plain need to have a serviceable middle infielder coming back in the deal, IMO. Gallagher, Colvin/Ceda, Cedeno, EPat would work for me. Either Murton or EPat in that spot works for me.

Well I'm sure you are all sick of another Cub fan being on the boards.. But I thought I'd make my entrance on this thread.

Personally, I don't think there is any way you'll be able to lure Ceda away from us. He is still a raw talent with a fastball upwards of 100, and a filthy slider.

That being said. I do believe you will be able to pull off the deal for cedeno, murton, gallagher, and veal. You get lots of upside with those arms, and a possible starting/4th outfielder for right now.

And I PROMISE not to post some of the ridiculous things that I have observed fellow Cub fans posting here. Hopefully I'll be a breath of fresh air for the OH.

Nice Post... i agree that deal would work. Ceda would be nice but I'd take that deal as well.

Welcome aboard, man. The only problem with your proposal is that I doubt the Cubs will trade Veal, considering everything he's been through as of late.

I could be wrong though. I suppose only time will tell.

Veal could be the best prospect in the whole mix.. Lefties who throw 93-95 with good movement and a nice variety of offspeed stuff are hard to find. However, he would obviously need some seasoning and some developmental work. But the kid has TREMENDOUS upside.

Thanks for welcoming me in here guys. Hopefully I can add some PERTANENT information, and not just distorted blue-shaded tripe like some of my other Cubs pals (Not all of them, just a handful- you know who they are). :D

Welcome B-Rob. Our in-house Cub fan, Davearm has told us that Veal has been through very trying times in his personal life and Hendry has a relationship with him that would make trading him unlikely now.

If you think Ceda is out of the question, would Colvin work for you? It really does look like Colvin or Ceda seems to be the sticking point, doesn't it?

...not to mention the fact that they are trading for Roberts. If EPat is a talented lead-off man with speed, why trade him plus Gallagher, plus Cedeno/Murton, plus Veal/Colvin/Cedo/Hart/whoever for Roberts if EPat was viewed as anywhere near ML average at 2B? They could just keep all those guys and plug EPat in at 2B and lead him off. It just doesn't make any sense, does it? The Cubs are telling us loud and clear that they just don't see him working out at 2B, IMO.

Yes, if he's the 4th piece in a package and he has options left, I can see including him, but we would still need Cedeno in the package, IMO. Not that I'm all that high on Cedeno, but we just plain need to have a serviceable middle infielder coming back in the deal, IMO. Gallagher, Colvin/Cedo, Cedeno, EPat would work for me. Either Murton or EPat in that spot works for me.

Well they do want more of a sure thing....

Veal could be the best prospect in the whole mix.. Lefties who throw 93-95 with good movement and a nice variety of offspeed stuff are hard to find. However, he would obviously need some seasoning and some developmental work. But the kid has TREMENDOUS upside.

Thanks for welcoming me in here guys. Hopefully I can add some PERTANENT information, and not just distorted blue-shaded tripe like some of my other Cubs pals (Not all of them, just a handful- you know who they are). :D

Thanks. Love the screen name, by the way. That's one of the best!