Sign in to follow this  
Aglets

Orioles compared to other AL East teams

Except for the Rays we haven't seen great pitching yet. We will this week with Sale and company. Rays Chris Archer is Friday night.Hasnt given up an earned run yet.

Archer has an ERA, he's given up an earned run. In fact, he's given up 3 of them, and all to the O's.

Edited by Malike

While we're having fun, the 2014 team was also 9-10 after the first 19 games. At the time, Cruz was OPS'ing .988 with 6 HR and 21 RBI.

Runs Scored: 81

Runs Allowed: 84

We were involved in 7 1-run games, going 3-4.

The most runs we scored in a single game: 14

The most runs scored against us in a single game: 11

We were shut out once (TOR) and also shut out one opponent (TBR).

Our offense was held to 3 runs or fewer in 11 of these games, in which we had a record of 4-7.

Unlike the 2015 season, we had played 3 games against non-AL East opponents, going 1-2 against Detroit.

8-5 against TB, NYY and BOS while giving up 3.6 runs per game and 1-5 against TOR giving up almost 8 runs per game. So 9-10 isn't that bad at all and while the starting pitching could have been better against TOR, overall I don't think they have been as bad as most people think.

8-5 against TB, NYY and BOS while giving up 3.6 runs per game and 1-5 against TOR giving up almost 8 runs per game. So 9-10 isn't that bad at all and while the starting pitching could have been better against TOR, overall I don't think they have been as bad as most people think.

I just hope Toronto doesn't own us all year. I don't think I could abide that.

I just hope Toronto doesn't own us all year. I don't think I could abide that.

There's a difference between being owned because the other team is better, and the other team looking better because you shot yourself in the foot multiple times. The Orioles have done that enough with Toronto already. Just have to hope they've gotten it out of their systems.

The race is very tightly packed right now, and the teams I expected to be at the bottom (NY and Tampa) are instead at the top. NY so far has been led by Tex and ARod offensively, and the rotation has gotten good work from Tanaka and Pineda. I think the Yankees will have to have miraculous health to stay in contention. Tampa's offense has been better than I expected so far (hovering around league average) and I don't think that will last. I still think these teams end up at the bottom.

We're nearing the end of April, and I think at this point every team in the AL East has been in first or at least tied for first at some point. That says to me what I've felt all along, what happens in April doesn't mean much in the grand scheme, and what everyone knew or thought they knew is either completely right or completely wrong.

Three of our five starters have pitched well. Tillman and Norris have been getting smashed. I fully expect Tillman to get on track and Norris will be replaced if he can't.

The bullpen is what concerns me. Don't have confidence in anyone other than Britton and O'Day. I think the bullpen needs an overhaul and sooner rather than later. I think replacing Garcia and Matusz with some combination of Wright/S. Johnson/Drake could do wonders.

Three of our five starters have pitched well. Tillman and Norris have been getting smashed. I fully expect Tillman to get on track and Norris will be replaced if he can't.

The bullpen is what concerns me. Don't have confidence in anyone other than Britton and O'Day. I think the bullpen needs an overhaul and sooner rather than later. I think replacing Garcia and Matusz with some combination of Wright/S. Johnson/Drake could do wonders.

When the starters start going deeper in games, the bullpen will get better. Until that happens it doesn't matter who you have in the pen.

The race is very tightly packed right now, and the teams I expected to be at the bottom (NY and Tampa) are instead at the top. NY so far has been led by Tex and ARod offensively, and the rotation has gotten good work from Tanaka and Pineda. I think the Yankees will have to have miraculous health to stay in contention.

Well, so much for miracles. Tanaka is out at least a month with forearm tightness. It really seems a longshot that that's all the time he'll miss.

I'd like to take this opportunity to compliment Malike on his fine choice in avatar selection.

Updates through May 3 are incoming.

Runs Scored (Using rate stats this time due to SSS and rioting issues)

Toronto - 5.31

Baltimore - 5.22

New York - 4.96

Boston - 4.88

Tampa - 3.64

Runs Allowed (Rate stats again)

New York - 3.72

Tampa - 3.76

Baltimore - 4.70

Toronto - 5.31

Boston - 5.36

Team ERA

New York - 3.20

Tampa - 3.61

Baltimore - 4.31

Boston - 5.04

Toronto - 5.13

I'd like to take this time to compliment Taco Bell on their amazing new Double Dilla commercial.

Updates through May 11

Runs Scored / Game

Toronto - 5.27

New York - 4.85

Baltimore - 4.77

Boston - 4.38

Tampa - 3.82

Runs Allowed / Game

Tampa - 3.70

New York - 3.76

Baltimore - 4.5

Toronto - 4.79

Boston - 5.16

Team ERA

New York - 3.29

Tampa - 3.60

Baltimore - 4.25

Toronto - 4.62

Boston - 4.91

AL average - 4.06

Guess we ran into a bit of a buzz saw in New York.......that definitely didn't help our numbers. Stinks that we still have a below average pitching staff....I think our offense will pick up a bit more these next few weeks.