Sign in to follow this  
Roy Firestone

Which team's "butt" do you love to kick most?

That's how I felt until they won in '04. I do love Fenway and Ted Williams was my favorite hitter. I read every book I could on him well into my adulthood. But with the subsequent World Series titles, the worst of their fans have adopted an entitled attitude and they were no fun at all to have in Camden Yards. I have a friend who bragged on Facebook in February about how many Patriot and Sox victory parades he's attended in Boston since '04. He didn't realize how douchey he was sounding. They were more lovable as losers.

Well said. Great post. Definitely more loveable as losers:)

To me the two greatest players to play the game were Willie Mays and Ted Williams. I know Mr. Williams wasn't very likeable, but what a hitter.

1. MFYankees: the root of all baseball evil.

2. Texas: I hate teams that move, especially when they leave the city in which I grew up. Plus, I live in Dallas now, and their fans are absolute idiots ? almost as delusional and entitled as Cowboys fans.

3. Natinals (will always misspell that, like their equipment guys once did): I actually liked the Expos, but once they moved to D.C., they have been impossible to like.

Edited by DallasOsFan
  • Upvote 1

Well said. Great post. Definitely more loveable as losers:)

To me the two greatest players to play the game were Willie Mays and Ted Williams. I know Mr. Williams wasn't very likeable, but what a hitter.

Thanks! Williams had it all figured out and could express it better than anyone I've ever seen. Being a pilot, he also understood the dynamics / physics of the ball's path to the plate. He was so ahead of the pitcher in anticipating the next pitch that it wasn't even funny. In fact, he was kind of dismissive of most of them in their predictability in the books I've read. But yes, I have more admiration of the Red Sox greats than some of their current day fans. Some are the reactionary and quite ugly online.

And while Papi will undoubtedly be considered a Red Sox great, his chances of the HOF will be tainted. I admire his clutch hitting, but can't stand him as a competitor. His temper tantrums have no place in baseball and are truly tiresome. He's not accomplishing anything positive with it as opposed to Earl Weaver's reason for arguing with umps (saving players from being ejected).

A Yankees jersey with a name on the back? George should have known better. ;)

George should have known better with a fan like Roy.

They would probably be 10. They didn't win for so long...plus Fenway is such a cool park. I dunno. I just don't hate them as much as some do.

I just think that since around 2001 they have been A - really good and B- their fans are the biggest bandwagon jumpers ever. Even worse than Yankees fans.

Respect your opinion, but to me they have to be above any team outside the division. Especially an NL team like the Braves.

1. Yankees

2. Mets

3. Red Sox

4. Blue Jays

Those Pirates losses stung badly, but their fans endured a string of losing seasons even longer than ours so I feel they have done their penance. Just don't play "We Are Family" in my presence.

The Mets, on the other hand, I will never forgive. When the Yankees and Mets play (as they did this weekend) I'm hard-pressed to figure out who I'd like to win. I hope we kick the Mets' butts next week when we play them.

I don't think we should pull for the Yankees (or any division team) in an interleague game this early in the season. There is literally nothing that could hurt the Orioles if an NL team beats one of our Al East rivals.

If it's mid Sept and they're mathematically eliminated, sure, pull for them if you must. But at this point, it hurts our chances for an AL East team to win an inter league game.

In order:

Yanks

Red Sox

Blue Jays

Nationals

This. Beating the Nats and doing better than them gives me bragging rights over family who have given me crap for still being an O's fan. I would love to beat them in a World Series some day.

• Upvote 1

The MFY always, but the BJ's are my nwe most detested team this season. Absolutely nothing good to say about them. Too bad we cant seem to be able to kick their butt yet.

Oh, I think I remember you telling us that you were a big fan of the Rochester Red Wings when they were the Orioles' AAA-affiliate.

You probably saw lots of guys that were on their way to the majors up there. :cool:

I've been told that there is a pretty large contingent of lifelong Orioles fans from western New York state that root for the team because of the AAA-Red Wings.

Yes sir. When the Os came and played in the Rochester exhibition in 84, I became a fan for life. Seeing the guys I watched in the WS on TV the fall before right in front of me...I was blown away. I was 8.

There is still a contingent of Os fans up here but they are rapidly aging since it has been awhile since Baltimore moved to Norfolk. It was also not the most pleasant breakup. At the end the some Oriole players were actively complaining about the annual exibition (Albert Belle comes to mind) and it just wasn't fun anymore.

• Upvote 1

If you gave me a 24 k gold Yankee hat and it was mine for keeping if i only wore it once.I couldn't do it.

Ive NEVER even jokingly worn Yankee gear, EVEN WHEN STEINBRENNER HIMSELF OFFERED IT TO ME.

True story;

I did a benefit with George once for the USOC.I got along well with Stenbrenner.He liked me too.

After he thanked me for coming on stage and offered me a Yankee Jersey framed with my name on the back. I refused to take it.I laughed and said."George, Im an Oriole for life?the Yankees SUCK!! He cracked up and SO DID THE AUDIENCE!!!

Dont ask me how I had the nerve to do that.but I did.

It will be the next item up for auction. Just kidding. I love what you do for charity. I know here in about a year I will be bidding and helping your charity so keep the great items coming.

My list

Yankees

Red Sox

Blue Jays

Nationals

Phillies

I guess times do change, even in baseball rooting alegiances. Since 1964, my top five have held firm:

1. Yankees

2. Yankees

3. Yankees

4. Yankees

5. Yankees

After that:

6. Nats (since in any fair world they would not exist. I can imagine the discussion in MLB circles about where to put the Montreal franchise, with the NYY, Boston and their allies advocating the need to have a team in the nation's capital and everyone else saying in effect, "Sure, whatever.")

7. Jays

8. Red Sox

• Upvote 1