Redskins Rick

Caps win and advance to Round 2

Difficult to imagine getting by the Rangers who just play very, very hard. I thought the third period of the final Pens Rangers game was very intense.

Still, this is the most complete Caps team in recent memory IMO and we have a more solid goalie (despite last night's first goal) and several players, most especially Kuznetzov, really escalating their game.

It would be nice to see Holtby stand on his head and match Lundie.

Difficult to imagine getting by the Rangers who just play very, very hard. I thought the third period of the final Pens Rangers game was very intense.

Still, this is the most complete Caps team in recent memory IMO and we have a more solid goalie (despite last night's first goal) and several players, most especially Kuznetzov, really escalating their game.

It would be nice to see Holtby stand on his head and match Lundie.

Stanley Cups are almost always won based on whomever has the hottest Goalie for the Series.

Yeah and the Caps have a top 5 goalie. Unfortunately the Rangers have the goalie who is playing perhaps the best so far in the postseason.

Yeah and the Caps have a top 5 goalie. Unfortunately the Rangers have the goalie who is playing perhaps the best so far in the postseason.

Hopefully, since the Caps have the best player in hockey in Ovechkin and his first line mates can score on the Rangers and put the pressure on them and have Holtby hold them off.

Most Caps fans have been waiting all their lives for a dramatic win like that in the playoffs. I'm not a huge hockey guy, but I did watch the final 13 minutes, and it was so damned disappointing when the Rangers scored with 4:39 to play. Kudos to the Caps for playing the game hard right to the final second, and pulling out a stunning victory.

Most Caps fans have been waiting all their lives for a dramatic win like that in the playoffs. I'm not a huge hockey guy, but I did watch the final 13 minutes, and it was so damned disappointing when the Rangers scored with 4:39 to play. Kudos to the Caps for playing the game hard right to the final second, and pulling out a stunning victory.

I totally agree. I am not a big hockey guy, but enjoy the playoffs.

I kept hearing from my Cap friends that this team was something special and more sound than any previous hockey team.

Time will tell, if they are right.

But, last night was a very good start.

I can't say enough about how impressed I am with the Caps so far. They are playing strong team hockey w strong goaltending and have looked like the most complete version of the Caps in a long time. Our current GM is looking like a genius with the Niskanen and Orpik signings and the our prior GM is certainly a big part of the current players that were drafted (Ovi, Backie, Green, and the younger ones Burokavsky (spelling) and Kuznetzov) along with the guys traded and/or resigned like Chimera and Ward as well as the decision years ago to move Varlamov to create room for the presumed better goalie in Holtby. We've been waiting for what seems like years to have Holtby play at this level throughout the playoffs and not just one series (Boston a few years ago).

I know the team can play better, but they are playing pretty well and, for the most part, throttling a very good Rangers team. I would never count out Lundqvist at any time until the series is over, but the view is pretty good from here right now.

The Caps playoff history is littered with massive, distressing and disappointing conclusions so it is difficult to get too excited, but this team has a nice balance, confidence and talent .... and perhaps the coaching to make us think big.

Yeah GMGM did a pretty good job at acquiring young talent and trading but could never get us past the hump (possibly a lot to do with coaching). He's kind of like the Cap's version of McPhail I guess.

We've been up 3-1 in a series and lost to much more inferior opponents than the Rangers before so I'm still not looking forward to the ECF yet.

1:41 secs away from advancing. *sigh*

I have a bad feeling this series is going to go to a game 7 like all Cap series tend to do. Why can't things ever be easy?