ScottieBaseball

Official '08 O's Minor League Spring Training Roster

Many thanks to the good doctor.

So when the Orioles retire a number, is it retired throughout the farm system as well? I see lots of guys wearing numbers that mark them as ineligible receivers, but none with 4, 5, 8, 20, 22, or 33. I never realized that before...

So when the Orioles retire a number, is it retired throughout the farm system as well? I see lots of guys wearing numbers that mark them as ineligible receivers, but none with 4, 5, 8, 20, 22, or 33. I never realized that before...

Not that I know of. Off the top of my head, for the Baysox in 07, Matt Cepicky wore 33, Ruddy Yan wore 5, Paco Figueroa wore 4, and I believe Rommie Lewis wore 20.

Not that I know of. Off the top of my head, for the Baysox in 07, Matt Cepicky wore 33, Ruddy Yan wore 5, Paco Figueroa wore 4, and I believe Rommie Lewis wore 20.

Man...if I didn't know any better, with that kind of "off the top of your head" knowledge, I'd be inclined to believe you attended all but one Baysox home game and even followed them on a few road trips! :D

Great to hear from you, Mike!!!

Somebody could look at that list and figure it was done by an illiterate. It's almost in alphabetical order, except for all the places where it's not. Clearly, they've been adding and subtracting guys from it, and plugging new guys in willy-nilly. I wonder when they made the original list. It looks like it was in alphabetic order once upon a time.

• Downvote 2

Somebody could look at that list and figure it was done by an illiterate. It's almost in alphabetical order, except for all the places where it's not. Clearly, they've been adding and subtracting guys from it, and plugging new guys in willy-nilly. I wonder when they made the original list. It looks like it was in alphabetic order once upon a time.

Maybe I missed the joke, but it looks like it's in... numerical order?

Maybe I missed the joke, but it looks like it's in... numerical order?

Well, yes it is in numerical order, but if you follow the names, the list is 95% in alphabetical order as well.

Thank you for insulting our intelligence!

Signed,

Scott Hoffman, Doc Shorebird, and the entire Orioles Minor League Operations group

• Upvote 1

Many thanks to the good doctor.

A good observation and interesting question. When the Orioles retire a number it is retired from all Orioles jerseys. At Minor League camp, the players wear Orioles jerseys. It has always been that they wear no retired Orioles numbers. At Bowie, the players wear Bowie jerseys and Bowie rules apply.

Thank you for insulting our intelligence!

Signed,

Scott Hoffman, Doc Shorebird, and the entire Orioles Minor League Operations group

Huh?

Who's insulting your intelligence? Jeez. The list is clearly in numerical order. Evidently, at one time the O's assigned the numbers to guys in alphabetical order. Then, at some point, they quit doing that, and started just plugging guys into certain numbers regardless of the alphabet... so it's almost-but-not-quite in alphabetical order. So, somebody *could* look at it and think that it was in alphabetical order until somebody screwed it up.

How on earth is that an insult? Good grief. Plus, even if it was an insult (which it's not, it's just a freakin' joke based on an observation about alphabetical order), how does that possibly insult you guys? What did you guys have to do with it? Did the O's put *you* in charge of assigning numbers to MiL guys? Did you guys do it? I just kinda assumed that the O's were in charge of assigning numbers to their players. I didn't realize they subcontracted the number-assignments to you guys.

This has to be the first time that somebody gets rung up around here for joking that the O's organization can't do something right. I guess it's possible to turn *anything* into a personal insult, even if it had *absolutely nothing* to do with you guys. Jeez Louise.

Huh?

Who's insulting your intelligence? Jeez. The list is clearly in numerical order. Evidently, at one time the O's assigned the numbers to guys in alphabetical order. Then, at some point, they quit doing that, and started just plugging guys into certain numbers regardless of the alphabet... so it's almost-but-not-quite in alphabetical order. So, somebody *could* look at it and think that it was in alphabetical order until somebody screwed it up.

How on earth is that an insult? Good grief. Plus, even if it was an insult (which it's not, it's just a freakin' joke based on an observation about alphabetical order), how does that possibly insult you guys? What did you guys have to do with it? Did the O's put *you* in charge of assigning numbers to MiL guys? Did you guys do it? I just kinda assumed that the O's were in charge of assigning numbers to their players. I didn't realize they subcontracted the number-assignments to you guys.

This has to be the first time that somebody gets rung up around here for joking that the O's organization can't do something right. I guess it's possible to turn *anything* into a personal insult, even if it had *absolutely nothing* to do with you guys. Jeez Louise.

I think they were kind of joking. I think you are the one turning it into an issure.

And for the record, I suspected that Shack was aware of the numerical order, though there was nothing in his post acknowledging it, so I went with the simplest possible solution. And otherwise, I've got no idea behind why it's generally alphabetical, or whether that's a past or present organizational pattern.

I'm looking forward to the minor league reports though.