MagicBird

The This Team IS Done, We are Dumb and Nothing can Fix it MEGA THREAD

I was quoting Stan the Fan who I hold in high regard. If you lose Cruz, Miller and Nick, when the team is in position to be a contender, you have to make an effort to replace their production. We miss Nick?s defense and on base percentage, Cruz?s bat, and Miller is the best reliever in baseball. We did NOTHING to replace their production. We went in with a flawed theory of Manny and Wieters returning. For that theory to be successful the team would have to go through the entire 2015 season with no injuries. We have gone from being on the cusp of a championship, to a team that through the first 29 games appears to have numerous flaws. People keep up bringing up the economics of the three free agents, and the club not being able to afford them. I will go with argument. My point is you just can?t lose three players of that caliber and replace them with a rule 5 pick, Travis Snyder, and I don?t know who they were planning to fill the void left by Cruz.

Ultimately Dan tried to field the best team he could with the budget constraints he had while not sacraficing notable prospects and future payroll flexibility. That involved bringing back the core of a team that won 96 games and counting on some guys to rebound from injury and/or production. That we were just going to replace Cruz's MVP caliber production was not going to happen when Cruz went beyond 3 years. The goal was clearly to gap the offensive production as much as possible with platoon players, bouncebacks and depth. I'm fine with disagreements about not retaining certain players like Matusz, Norris, Hunter etc, or even keeping Miller under our likely payroll constraints and him likely costing 4/40 plus (even though think most of this Miller stuff is Monday morning quarterbacking).

Offenses are better this year in the division and our pitching and defense has not been very good to date. That can change and we can still be a competitive team. A competitive team was the goal, not a better one. That's reality.

This notion that every team that is "close" can easily improve itself each year is pure fiction.

Edited by CA-ORIOLE

Ultimately Dan tried to field the best team he could with the budget constraints he had while not sacraficing notable prospects and future payroll flexibility. That involved bringing back the core of a team that won 96 games and counting on some guys to rebound from injury and/or production. That we were just going to replace Cruz's MVP caliber production was not going to happen wehn Cruz went beyond 3 years. The goal was clearly to gap the offensive production as much as possible with platoon players, bouncebacks and depth. I'm fine with disagreements about not retaining certain players like Matusz, Norris, Hunter etc, or even keeping Miller under our likely payroll constraints and him likely costing 4/40 plus (even though think most of this Miller stuff is Monday morning quarterbacking).

Offenses are better this year in the division and our pitching and defense has not been very good to date. That can change and we can still be a competitive team. A competitive team was the goal, not a better one. That's reality.

This notion that every team that is "close" can easily improve itself each year is pure fiction.

This. 100 times.

What has our DH production been this year compared to last year?

Through 18 games last year Cruz had a .894 OPS and Paredes has a 1.064 OPS in the the same number of games. Not all those games were at DH.

Paredes WAR is 1.1 through this year. I can't figure out how to see Cruz's through this point last year.

Just divide it by four. You'll be close.

Paredes WAR is 1.1 through this year. I can't figure out how to see Cruz's through this point last year.

The sample sizes and type of question that you are asking is so small and has no predictive value anyway that is plenty close enough. This is not real statistical data that means anything.

Just divide it by four. You'll be close.

It's about 1.2 for last year. 1.6 for this year. Snider over Nick more than makes up for the difference.

The sample sizes and type of question that you are asking is so small and has no predictive value anyway that is plenty close enough. This is not real statistical data that means anything.

I'm not saying Paredes will replace Cruz, I just mean that so far, we have replaced his production from that spot.

Snider has been worth more than Markakis. Lets not distort too many facts. If the argument is we didn't replace Miller and Cruz fine, but Markakis has been replaced.

Defensively Snider compared to Markakis is a major downgrade. Not even close. We will see where we end up at the end of the year. There is a lot of season left. Right now the lack of trying to make improvements to the team from outside the organization has landed us in last place.

Defensively Snider compared to Markakis is a major downgrade. Not even close. We will see where we end up at the end of the year. There is a lot of season left. Right now the lack of trying to make improvements to the team from outside the organization has landed us in last place.

From what I've seen Snider has had one really bad game in RF in Toronto and despite the GG's, Nick wasn't that great of a defender.

For a minute there he was batting third and doing well, and then he's been in the dog house for no apparent reason. Don't really get it.

Well. it does seem to be quiet production. He is being platooned also and Delmon Young is getting some (quite a bit actually) of his time.

Edited by CA-ORIOLE

I know Travis has reverse splits, but there's really no reason Delmon Young should be getting his starts against righties. Or if you prefer to play Delmon, there's no reason Steve Pearce should be starting tonight against a righty in LF over Snider.

Maybe Buck feels he's out of shape or something. The guy is pretty chunky. I dunno man. He can hit though, so it's pretty stupid to play a guy in Steve Pearce who hasn't hit for a month over Snider when you're desperate for a win.

It is interesting. Buck clearly likes Delmon and he's been hitting the ball hard despite the OPS/power not being that great and his defense has looked pretty good in RF.

Yeah, I'm not sure I get todays lineup either.

I agree that Delmon has been hitting and looking good in RF. Pearce though... I guess Buck is just hoping to get him clicking. But... I mean, Snider is already clicking. Bah.

Maybe we have too many COF/DH types. I don't know. I would just stick with a platoon structure and ride it out.