MagicBird

The This Team IS Done, We are Dumb and Nothing can Fix it MEGA THREAD

So you give up on the team and only support them, when they win?

What did you do for that long 14 year span of dismal play?

To a lot of folks there is no line dividing pre-2012 and 2012-on. It's all poorly run, poorly executed, underfunded excuses for a franchise that had a handful of decent outlier seasons.

To a lot of folks there is no line dividing pre-2012 and 2012-on. It's all poorly run, poorly executed, underfunded excuses for a franchise that had a handful of decent outlier seasons.

To me, there is such a big difference between how that baseball operation was run, and what we have now.

Yes, poorly executed on the field, and that isn't what we have come to expect since 2013.

Leaving OPACY last night, I couldn't help but having the feeling that there is something fundamentally wrong with this team right now. They just don't seem to "click"

or gel in the way that we have become accustomed to in the past few seasons. I know that is not very scientific, but they just look like they are lacking direction, focus

and leadership. That said, that doesn't mean it can't be corrected....but, it's painful to watch right now. A nice winning streak of 4 or more games would do wonders.

Leaving OPACY last night, I couldn't help but having the feeling that there is something fundamentally wrong with this team right now. They just don't seem to "click"

or gel in the way that we have become accustomed to in the past few seasons. I know that is not very scientific, but they just look like they are lacking direction, focus

and leadership. That said, that doesn't mean it can't be corrected....but, it's painful to watch right now. A nice winning streak of 4 or more games would do wonders.

I know many of you will laugh at this, and that is fine, but you would be surprised how much the psyche and state of mind of an athlete can have on performance. I hate to beat Miller and Cruz into the ground, but I truly feel when the team lost those two, and two a lesser extent Markakis, (and replaced them with no one) the team felt as if the front office gave up on the season. As a result, I really feel as if the team kind of gave up themselves and have lost a lot of focus. Plus the swagger in them seems to be gone. Even two years ago, you could tell by listening to them and how they acted on the field, that they truly felt as if they were one of the best teams in the league. The two years they have made the playoffs they had even more bravado. This year? I don't sense any of that. They just kind of seem to be going through the motions....knowing that the FO did them no favors and that next year a ton more players are leaving. They almost seem resigned to the fact that the FO will never give them enough pieces to truly make a run at a championship.

Edited by islandecho
  • Upvote 1

I know many of you will laugh at this, and that is fine, but you would be surprised how much the psyche and state of mind of an athlete can have on performance. I hate to beat Miller and Cruz into the ground, but I truly feel when the team lost those two, and two a lesser extent Markakis, (and replaced them with no one) the team felt as if the front office gave up on the season. As a result, I really feel as if the team kind of gave up themselves and have lost a lot of focus. Plus the swagger in them seems to be gone. Even two years ago, you could tell by listening to them that they truly felt as if they were one of the best teams in the league. The two years they have made the playoffs they had even more bravado. This year? I don't sense any of that. They just kind of seem to be going through the motions....knowing that the FO did them no favors and that next year a ton more players are leaving. They almost seem resigned to the fact that the FO will never give them enough pieces to truly make a run at a championship.

:rofl:

o

Tonight's game is a must-win for two reasons:

A) It would be the difference between winning this series with the Blue Jays and losing this series with the Blue Jays, and right now, this team needs all of the momentum that it can get.

B) I would be able to bump the An Off-Day is So Much Easier to Stomach thread, as opposed to the Off-Day Blues thread ...... and nobody wants the latter thread bumped.

o

Tonight's game is a must-win for two reasons:

A) It would be the difference between winning this series with the Blue Jays and losing this series with the Blue Jays, and right now, this team needs all of the momentum that it can get.

B) I would be able to bump the An Off-Day is So Much Easier to Stomach thread, as opposed to the Off-Day Blues thread ...... and nobody wants the latter thread bumped.

You know, you don't actually need to bump either thread...

I think we have an identity problem. We have used so many players the last few seasons and yet several or the regulars are pending FAs. After a while you have to wonder about the effects of constant change and the lack of cohesion. Does the defense suffer? How about the lineup? I've been forced into the Seinfeld model of rooting for laundry because I don't know who is going to be here long term. It's a strange place to be as a baseball fan. I expect it in football and hockey but not my Orioles.

AJ is here for a while. Schoop should be, but he's out now. Manny should be, but you can see contract issues coming. We hope Gausman and Bundy are future aces but neither are even in the rotation right now. JJ has two more years after this one but I believe, much as like him, that was a bad signing and he'll spend significant time on the DL during this contract. Is Joseph the long term answer? He's had a nice start. There are some interesting arms coming but nothing I'm really excited about outside of Harvey and he's injured, too. I don't feel great about our position prospects. Here's hoping Walker, Alvarez, and others start looking like good MLB players soon.

Who else is part of a good future here? I hope we use FA heavily and wisely but that's not been the MO. Maybe we extend Tillman and we can hope Ubaldo gives us 80 more good starts... and that's about it. Some of the guys that will be here next year are role players like Flaherty, Snider, McFarland and Lough. Wieters is gone. Davis is gone. Likely, too, are Pearce, De Aza, Young, Chen, Norris, Hunter, Wright, O'Day and Matusz, at least. Sure, maybe one or two of the lesser players in that list stays but DD has done very little in the way of long term (3+ year) deals. Also true that I don't want some of those players back but who are the Orioles now and going forward?

I just don't understand what the team image is. What is the plan for the future? How do we stay competitive? Who is going to be here long term and when do those contracts get signed? Why are we looking at so many expiring FAs? I would have signed Cruz. I never thought we'd get 3 or 4 comp picks next year. I'm somewhat down on the farm system. I don't like how we're playing. I don't like how this team was/is constructed. It's tough for me as a fan right now and I wonder if the players have some of the same issues.

I think we have an identity problem. We have used so many players the last few seasons and yet several or the regulars are pending FAs. After a while you have to wonder about the effects of constant change and the lack of cohesion. Does the defense suffer? How about the lineup? I've been forced into the Seinfeld model of rooting for laundry because I don't know who is going to be here long term. It's a strange place to be as a baseball fan. I expect it in football and hockey but not my Orioles.

AJ is here for a while. Schoop should be, but he's out now. Manny should be, but you can see contract issues coming. We hope Gausman and Bundy are future aces but neither are even in the rotation right now. JJ has two more years after this one but I believe, much as like him, that was a bad signing and he'll spend significant time on the DL during this contract. Is Joseph the long term answer? He's had a nice start. There are some interesting arms coming but nothing I'm really excited about outside of Harvey and he's injured, too. I don't feel great about our position prospects. Here's hoping Walker, Alvarez, and others start looking like good MLB players soon.

Who else is part of a good future here? I hope we use FA heavily and wisely but that's not been the MO. Maybe we extend Tillman and we can hope Ubaldo gives us 80 more good starts... and that's about it. Some of the guys that will be here next year are role players like Flaherty, Snider, McFarland and Lough. Wieters is gone. Davis is gone. Likely, too, are Pearce, De Aza, Young, Chen, Norris, Hunter, Wright, O'Day and Matusz, at least. Sure, maybe one or two of the lesser players in that list stays but DD has done very little in the way of long term (3+ year) deals. Also true that I don't want some of those players back but who are the Orioles now and going forward?

I just don't understand what the team image is. What is the plan for the future? How do we stay competitive? Who is going to be here long term and when do those contracts get signed? Why are we looking at so many expiring FAs? I would have signed Cruz. I never thought we'd get 3 or 4 comp picks next year. I'm somewhat down on the farm system. I don't like how we're playing. I don't like how this team was/is constructed. It's tough for me as a fan right now and I wonder if the players have some of the same issues.

Very very good points and I think that the way you said it went into much more specifics about why this team seems to have lost their swagger. IF the FO is not going to sign, or at least TRY to sign, stars like Miller and Cruz, and other players see this, KNOWING that next year they are about to lose a bunch more players next year, imo they really lose a lot of incentive and that extra edge you need to be a very good to great team. I think that is part of the reason why the other teams in the AL east last year faded so badly at the end of the year. They KNEW in their hearts they were not going to catch the O's, so even while they still competed and tried, that extra effort and concentration people need to perform at their best was gone. And hence the Os ran away with it.

Kind of like when a team is up 3-1 in the NBA playoffs. More times than not the team down 3 games will win that game 5. Simply because they know it's do or die for them. Meanwhile the team up 3-1 knows they have 3 games to win it, and their concentration and focus is not always there for that game 5. We saw that last night with Houston for example.

o

You know, you don't actually need to bump either thread ...

Yeah, I understand that, Paul.

Since you're being so serious and so literal, I don't NEED to post and/or bump any threads at the Orioles Hangout at all.

But if it's OK with you, I'd like to keep posting as I see fit without having to literally spell out each and every one of my posts to a tee.

o

Yeah, I understand that, Paul.

Since you're being so serious and so literal, I don't NEED to post and/or bump any threads at the Orioles Hangout at all.

But if it's OK with you, I'd like to keep posting as I see fit without having to literally spell out each and every one of my posts to a tee.

weams will chastise both of y'all for personal convos....;)