MagicBird

The This Team IS Done, We are Dumb and Nothing can Fix it MEGA THREAD

I believe that DD was distracted by the prospect of going to Toronto to a much better job and therefore did not put an emphasis on replacing the offense and pitching lost by the departures of Cruz and Miller. He picked up scraps (which was the old status quo) and hoped for the best.

They said the return of Davis, Machado, Wieters (which hasn't happened yet) would somehow make up for the loss of Cruz and Markakis. That also has not happened.

I just get infuriated when folks just pretend like nothing is wrong. That's my issue. There's a lot wrong with the 2015 Orioles. All the stats and "hoping for the best" cannot make a single difference in the world.

MSK

There is something wrong....40% of the starting pitching has been bad.....fix the starters and we would be in first.

It absolutely has happened. The offense has been better than last year. Last season the O's were 5th in the AL with 4.4 runs per game. This year they are 4th in the AL with 4.7 runs per game.

The problem is that we entered the season with 6 legitimate starting pitchers and two of them have ERA's of 6.34 and 9.88, and Gausman isn't ready to step into the rotation. Also the defense has struggled. To claim that the Orioles failed to replace Cruz and Markakis is to ignore reality unless you believe that they made Norris and Tillman pitch better, made Machado play better defense, or kept Flaherty and Schoop healthy.

This is a very rational and logical post that will be overlooked by many because they don't want the real answer. They want to vent and complain.

You hit the nail on the head with this post. Thanks for stating so concisely and clearly.

Wait, what? Hitting is almost always better in mid-to-late summer than in April. Offense is directly correlated to temperature.

Of course it is.

There is something wrong....40% of the starting pitching has been bad.....fix the starters and we would be in first.

He was one of the few folks clamoring to get other pitchers.

Yes, Duquette is being paid a lot of money to run the team he resurrected from the dead three years ago, but he'd rather mail it in and hope the magical Cinderella horse-and-buggy from Toronto whisks him away to a beautiful fairyland.

I think to suggest the drama this off season had no effect on the way Duquette did his job is also far-fetched. In DD's view, PA prevented him from taking a lifetime opportunity job. Teams generally don't prevent their employees from taking promotions with other clubs. I know from reliable sources that he was pretty unhappy about it.

I'm not saying that it he mailed it in, or it affected the makeup of this year's team. I haven't seen any evidence of that. But the possibility that he was distracted, and it had some effect on the way he performed his job for a few weeks there is not the tin-foil hat theory you make it out to be.

Sorry to bring this mess up again.

I think to suggest the drama this off season had no effect on the way Duquette did his job is also far-fetched. In DD's view, PA prevented him from taking a lifetime opportunity job. Teams generally don't prevent their employees from taking promotions with other clubs. I know from reliable sources that he was pretty unhappy about it.

I'm not saying that it he mailed it in, or it affected the makeup of this year's team. I haven't seen any evidence of that. But the possibility that he was distracted, and it had some effect on the way he performed his job for a few weeks there is not the tin-foil hat theory you make it out to be.

Sorry to bring this mess up again.

It had nothing to do with anything. He missed no one because of it. His budget was spent and he had no one to trade.

It had nothing to do with anything. He missed no one because of it. His budget was spent and he had no one to trade.

It was a typical Duquette offseason.

It was a typical Duquette offseason.

Absolutely. Anyone who want to write the fiction is welcome to. Or perpetuate what the national media made out of it. With no knowledge.

Absolutely. Anyone who want to write the fiction is welcome to. Or perpetuate what the national media made out of it. With no knowledge.

If he had signed Nick to ease the masses I might have agreed he was distracted. Accounts indicate he was in on Cruz until it went to 4 years. Looked at Kemp and figured the dollars/numbers didn't make sense etc. Never was going to be in on Miller at 4/40 plus. Typical stuff.

Edited by CA-ORIOLE

The A's are 13-23. I suspect Billy Beane interviewed with Toronto.

He was their number one choice. Before Terry Ryan and Kenny Williams and Mike Rizzo and Joe Torre.