TonySoprano

Harvey has Setback - Elbow Tightness, MRI next

Sadly my key take away were the words right and now.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="enwitter"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Buck said Harvey's MRI showed no damage that needs surgery. Expects him to get a second opinion.</p>— Dan Connolly (@danconnollysun) <a href="

">May 14, 2015</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Wouldn't a more likely explanation be that pitchers sometimes overthrow to boost velocity (maybe to impress scouts), which puts too much pressure on the elbow?

Maybe? Or maybe its too much gain in short amounts of time leaving the body unable to adjust to the additional stress before it breaks?

Nothing that requires surgery right now. Expected to pitch again this season.

Ugh. But then he might end up with surgery next year. I hope it is something that he can pitch effectively through. Guess this ends any Harvey to Baltimore talk. Keep him off the 40 man until he is lights out and needed in Baltimore. No need to lose a year of service time when it can occur off the roster.

Couldn't pitch last year because of forearm tightness. Can't pitch this year because of elbow tightness. Doesn't need surgery. Whose kidding who?

Couldn't pitch last year because of forearm tightness. Can't pitch this year because of elbow tightness. Doesn't need surgery. Whose kidding who?

That was my thought... Maybe his body won't hold up and he'll flame out. I hope not, but not sure what to think at this point.

Has there been a case of a professional baseball player getting surgery when the doctors didn't recommend it?

I don't think it happens.

I will say that it looks like surgery will be inevitable.

I'LL assume that Harvey 's agent Will have him get a second opinion from an actual expert on pitching elbows.

John Wilckens, M.D., is an associate professor of orthopaedic surgery at The Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine. His areas of clinical expertise include baseball injuries, orthopaedic surgery and sports medicine. Dr. Wilckens serves as the medical director of the Johns Hopkins at White Marsh Orthopaedic Surgical Center.

Dr. Wilckens holds research interests in sports medicine, adolescent sports injuries, ligament reconstruction, running injuries and arthroscopy.

Dr. Wilckens serves as team physician for the U.S. Naval Academy’s athletic programs and orthopaedic surgeon for the Baltimore Orioles. He is a member of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons and the Major League Baseball Team Physicians Association, and serves on the Council of Delegates for American Orthopaedic Society for Sports Medicine.

I think Andrews would be the consult.

After being shut down last year, then getting a huge amount of rest early this year because of a broken leg, and now after pitching a few innings you feel tightness... Sounds like a case to me where he needs a second opinion.

I hope that he doesn't need surgery and that he pitches well this year and for years to come, it's just not looking good right now.

Fair enough.

But, do you disagree that Boston is having SP problems.

I thought ERod was their top prospect and some thought he would make the parent club in ST.

Swihart probably the better prospect to start the season with Owens, Margot, Devers comparable. I think it would have been a huge surprise for him to jump from Double-A to the bigs, not to mention that would mean leapfrogging Henry Ownes, Brian Johnson, Matt Barnes. I would think Eduardo is right there as far as arms they might consider bringing up this summer, but I'm sure they also have certain targets they want him to hit with Pawtucket. He just turned 22 this April, right (I think that's right)?

E-Rod is in AAA, not good enough for a last place club with SP woes.

That's a joke, right? They love him in Boston and think he has the potential to be a TOR starter.

No one truly thought he would make the team out of ST. Who are these people that thought so?

And ERod is likely behind Barnes. It is silly to say that he isn't called up because he isn't good enough.

Fair enough.