Moose Milligan

How Nelson Cruz beat aging

It isn't about comparing them to other payrolls. It is about comparing their actual payroll to what their payroll would project to considering their revenue.

The take-away is that they have averaged about 11 million more a season then the projection would say is in line with their revenue.

Now if you think that should be 30 million then that is your right but they are not cheap.

What makes me think they are cheap is that they didn't think a player is worth x amount of dollars for one year when he outplayed his contract before.

Everyone here knows Cruz was underpaid considering what he did for the team last year. So what's wrong with POSSIBLY overpaying on one year of a 4 year deal?

That makes me think they are cheap because they would rather get more out of a "cheap" player or contract rather than them being the ones that say damn, we over paid a little.

Sometimes I can agree with that philosophy, others I can't. For example I would rather have gave Cruz that contract, and I would rather not give CD the same contract. Even though he's younger and even though he can play decent to good D. I would rather have Cruz at that contract than CD. Who knows what CD will get, just saying.

What makes me think they are cheap is that they didn't think a player is worth x amount of dollars for one year when he outplayed his contract before.

Everyone here knows Cruz was underpaid considering what he did for the team last year. So what's wrong with POSSIBLY overpaying on one year of a 4 year deal?

That makes me think they are cheap because they would rather get more out of a "cheap" player or contract rather than them being the ones that say damn, we over paid a little.

Sometimes I can agree with that philosophy, others I can't. For example I would rather have gave Cruz that contract, and I would rather not give CD the same contract. Even though he's younger and even though he can play decent to good D. I would rather have Cruz at that contract than CD. Who knows what CD will get, just saying.

The ownership deserves to maintain a reasonable ROI.

You are suggesting that they forgo such a return.

Do you have investments? Do you wish a positive return on those investments?

Why's it gots to be the Yankees again?

Because they are typically the ones with the highest payroll and just used to it.

Like, I couldn't careless if the Yankees or anyone else's payroll was 100mil+ more than the Os. That alone wouldn't make me think they're cheap. The fact that they have the ability to get a player that definitely makes them better and they choose not to sign him because he might not be worth the final year of that contract. That's absurd to me.

Because they are typically the ones with the highest payroll and just used to it.

Like, I couldn't careless if the Yankees or anyone else's payroll was 100mil+ more than the Os. That alone wouldn't make me think they're cheap. The fact that they have the ability to get a player that definitely makes them better and they choose not to sign him because he might not be worth the final year of that contract. That's absurd to me.

Except that part where that isn't an argument anyone is making other then you.

The ownership deserves to maintain a reasonable ROI.

You are suggesting that they forgo such a return.

Do you have investments? Do you wish a positive return on those investments?

I would think having Cruz gives this team a better chance at making the playoffs than not having him. You make more money when you make the playoffs, so that to me is worth the risk of losing 14 mill on one year when I stand to gain a lot than not having him and possibly not making the playoffs.

I would think having Cruz gives this team a better chance at making the playoffs than not having him. You make more money when you make the playoffs, so that to me is worth the risk of losing 14 mill on one year when I stand to gain a lot than not having him and possibly not making the playoffs.

But it isn't your money. It isn't your risk.

You honestly think that all this team needed to do to be a playoff contender instead of under 500 is to replace Parades (169 OPS+) with Cruz (216 OPS+)?

That's straight from the horse's mouth not mine. They didn't think he was worth a fourth year. Os said that not me, I'm just reiterating that.

No.

You are grossly oversimplifying what was said.

A closer approximation of the though process would be: Adding a fourth year increased the risk beyond the level with which we were comfortable.

What you are insinuating is that the worst case scenario was Cruz only being worth 8 million in the fourth year of the deal. When of course the worst case scenario is a career ending injury during spring training of the first year of the deal.

How about you suggest to the city of Baltimore that they use Eminent domain to take control of the O's?

It worked so well last time.

"What it takes" is is Ervin Santana. Not Ubaldo Jimenez. Because it is so predictive.

That's straight from the horse's mouth not mine. They didn't think he was worth a fourth year. Os said that not me, I'm just reiterating that.

You lose Paredes. And you make a mistake which could bite you as soon as June. Like it did lat year. He underperformed Chris Davis for three straight months. For some Wacky mixed up reason. Like A-Rod. He's a NY god again.

No.

You are grossly oversimplifying what was said.

A closer approximation of the though process would be: Adding a fourth year increased the risk beyond the level with which we were comfortable.

What you are insinuating is that the worst case scenario was Cruz only being worth 8 million in the fourth year of the deal. When of course the worst case scenario is a career ending injury during spring training of the first year of the deal.

AJ could endure a career ending injury to. Why'd they pay him a handsome contract worth, what, six years. Possible injuries is not a valid argument when it could happen to anyone.

When had Cruz even shown he is a possible injury waiting to happen?

Manny is more of a risk and I bet they are willing to pay him big dollars when it's time.

But it isn't your money. It isn't your risk.

You honestly think that all this team needed to do to be a playoff contender instead of under 500 is to replace Parades (169 OPS+) with Cruz (216 OPS+)?

You asked me if it was worth the risk. And I said to me it would be if I was in that position. Obviously they didn't feel the same way.

AJ could endure a career ending injury to. Why'd they pay him a handsome contract worth, what, six years. Possible injuries is not a valid argument when it could happen to anyone.

When had Cruz even shown he is a possible injury waiting to happen?

Manny is more of a risk and I bet they are willing to pay him big dollars when it's time.

:rofl:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/c/cruzne02.shtml

He's played more then 128 games twice in 11 seasons.