Sign in to follow this  
Redskins Rick

Famous Earl Weaver Quotes

"Team speed???? For chrissakes, you get f****n g****m little fleas on the f****n' bases, getting picked off, tryin' to steal, gettin' thrown out, takin' runs away from you. Get them big c********s that can hit the f****n' ball out the ballpark and ya can't make any g****m mistakes."

"You got a hundred more young kids than you have a place for on your club. Every one of them has had a going away party. They have been given the shaving kit and the fifty dollars. They kissed everybody and said, 'See you in the majors in two years.' You see these poor kids who shouldn't be there in the first place. You write on the report card '4-4-4 and out.' That's the lowest rating in everything. Then you call 'em in and say, 'It's the consensus amoung us that we're going to let you go back home.' Some of them cry, some get mad, but none of them will leave until you answer them one question, 'Skipper, what do you think?' And you gotta look every one of those kids in the eye and kick their dreams in the ass and say no. If you say it mean enough, maybe they do themselves a favor and don't waste years learning what you can see in a day. They don't have what it takes to make the majors, just like I never had it."

Earl Understood the pain.

"Economics played a role. Raleighs have gone from six fifty to nine dollars a carton, but there's a three-quarter cent coupon on the back. You can get all kinds of things with them, blenders, everything. I saved up enough one time and got Al Bumbry."

o

When I was a kid, I remember reading in the "They Said It" section of Sports illustrated magazine what Weaver said in regard to not bringing Drungo Hazewood north with the team in April of 1980, in spite of the fact that Hazewood had batted .583 in Spring Training:

"I've never cut a guy hitting that high before. But he was making the rest of us look bad with that average."

"You can't sit on a lead and run a few plays into the line and just kill the clock. You've got to throw the ball over the damn plate and give the other man his chance. That's why baseball is the greatest game of them all."