weams

2015 2nd (68) - Jonathan Hughes - RHP - HS (GA)

My theory is that the O's have Hughes signed but don't want to make it official. The reason? They are negotiating with at least one of the other picks and don't want the player or his agent to know how much money they have to work with.

If true, it would only be the most delicious hypocrisy to hear the Orioles and folks at the OH continue to mention the importance of getting a kid signed and getting the baseball career/training started as soon as possible, yet it may be the case regarding Hughes that the Os have purposely delayed his career/training to ....... save $.

If true, it would only be the most delicious hypocrisy to hear the Orioles and folks at the OH continue to mention the importance of getting a kid signed and getting the baseball career/training started as soon as possible, yet it may be the case regarding Hughes that the Os have purposely delayed his career/training to ....... save $.

If the saved money is used to sign another pick then I will get over it.

If the saved money is used to sign another pick then I will get over it.

Of course you will, so will Hughes. Just remember the next time someone says a kid shouldn't hold out for extra $ because he is getting behind in his development because he's not signing.

Of course you will, so will Hughes. Just remember the next time someone says a kid shouldn't hold out for extra $ because he is getting behind in his development because he's not signing.

I would say that it would depend on the situation.

Of course with the signing deadline moved up it isn't as much an issue as it was in the past.

KLaw is guessing no, Callis doesn't make prediction.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">My best guess - Swanson, Kirby, Buehler sign; Funkhouser, Singer, Hughes, Betts, Cody don't. <a href="http://t.co/Hk9t3av0Y2">http://t.co/Hk9t3av0Y2</a></p>— keithlaw (@keithlaw) <a href="

">July 15, 2015</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

KLaw is guessing no, Callis doesn't make prediction.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">My best guess - Swanson, Kirby, Buehler sign; Funkhouser, Singer, Hughes, Betts, Cody don't. <a href="http://t.co/Hk9t3av0Y2">http://t.co/Hk9t3av0Y2</a></p>— keithlaw (@keithlaw) <a href="

">July 15, 2015</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Well, if that happens, it will be very disappointing...kind of a waste of a high draft pick.

Well, if that happens, it will be very disappointing...kind of a waste of a high draft pick.

Nope...Not really. We had a great haul this year in regards to our picks and signing them. I dont mind putting this pick in our back pocket for next year now.

We are talking:

Our 1st

2 Comp picks (2 out of 3 of Wieters, Davis, Chen)

Our 2nd round Pick

Another 2nd round pick for not signing Hughes

Possibly Comp B pick

That is 7 and possibly 8 picks in the top 75. At worst it will be 6.

As upset as people may be with a step back next year (though not as pronounced as everyone thinks it will be). Having Gausmen, Mike Wright, Givens, Stewart, Alverez, Mancini and Bundy(I have faith) knocking on the door along with Harvey right behind them could ease fears about near term prospects.

Then you add 7 top 75 picks to Reyes, Cisco, Mountcastle, Peralta, McKenna, Heinrich, Fenter, and Curran for our long term development could completely re-shape this franchise.

Oh yeah, and we have Machado, Jones, and Schoop who are top 3 players at their position (Or in Schoops case, top 10 with a chance to be top 5 in the near future).

This just gets frustrating every year. A high draft pick holds out until the last day or does not sign. They miss out on development and instructions that could benefit them down the road. In Hughes' case, I assume the O's got assurances that if drafted early he would sign. You do not pick a kid that high without some confidence he signs. I wonder who the kid's agent is. Is he getting bad advice? Did he change his mind and is firm on going to collage? Was someone not honest? Just frustrating.

Hughes was eager to sign. O's have said they are confident of signing him. Nothing negative from either side. Only thing mentioned is that O's are trying to sign one other player as well. Seems obvious to me that the two are related. O's will sign Hughes either way. Not signing him doesn't help them get the 2nd guy. O's are playing chicken with the 2nd guy, not Hughes.

This just gets frustrating every year. A high draft pick holds out until the last day or does not sign. They miss out on development and instructions that could benefit them down the road. In Hughes' case, I assume the O's got assurances that if drafted early he would sign. You do not pick a kid that high without some confidence he signs. I wonder who the kid's agent is. Is he getting bad advice? Did he change his mind and is firm on going to collage? Was someone not honest? Just frustrating.

He announce that he was signing and starting his process when picked. He told his area scout he would sing when called pred draft selection. He has no agent only an advisor. I assume the Orioles want to give some of his money to someone else. Or just decided they want the pick for 2016. We will know soon enough. The Orioles were about to sign all the players there wanted to without him or his slot allotment. I assume there is an overslot we are still speaking with.

Nope...Not really. We had a great haul this year in regards to our picks and signing them. I dont mind putting this pick in our back pocket for next year now.

We are talking:

Our 1st

2 Comp picks (2 out of 3 of Wieters, Davis, Chen)

Our 2nd round Pick

Another 2nd round pick for not signing Hughes

Possibly Comp B pick

That is 7 and possibly 8 picks in the top 75. At worst it will be 6.

As upset as people may be with a step back next year (though not as pronounced as everyone thinks it will be). Having Gausmen, Mike Wright, Givens, Stewart, Alverez, Mancini and Bundy(I have faith) knocking on the door along with Harvey right behind them could ease fears about near term prospects.

Then you add 7 top 75 picks to Reyes, Cisco, Mountcastle, Peralta, McKenna, Heinrich, Fenter, and Curran for our long term development could completely re-shape this franchise.

Oh yeah, and we have Machado, Jones, and Schoop who are top 3 players at their position (Or in Schoops case, top 10 with a chance to be top 5 in the near future).

True, but how many of those draft picks and prospects will Duquette trade??? ;)