weams

2015 2nd (68) - Jonathan Hughes - RHP - HS (GA)

Thanks Weams! Appreciate the insight. If there is a second player involved I wonder who. 20th Round pick Adam Walton is a RS Soph at Illinois. He may want the extra cash to sign.

True, but how many of those draft picks and prospects will Duquette trade??? ;)

As many as we need him too.

Thanks Weams! Appreciate the insight. If there is a second player involved I wonder who. 20th Round pick Adam Walton is a RS Soph at Illinois. He may want the extra cash to sign.

I have no insider knowledge of this. Only what I read the kid tell his hometown paper.

Nope...Not really. We had a great haul this year in regards to our picks and signing them. I dont mind putting this pick in our back pocket for next year now.

We are talking:

Our 1st

2 Comp picks (2 out of 3 of Wieters, Davis, Chen)

Our 2nd round Pick

Another 2nd round pick for not signing Hughes

Possibly Comp B pick

That is 7 and possibly 8 picks in the top 75. At worst it will be 6.

As upset as people may be with a step back next year (though not as pronounced as everyone thinks it will be). Having Gausmen, Mike Wright, Givens, Stewart, Alverez, Mancini and Bundy(I have faith) knocking on the door along with Harvey right behind them could ease fears about near term prospects.

Then you add 7 top 75 picks to Reyes, Cisco, Mountcastle, Peralta, McKenna, Heinrich, Fenter, and Curran for our long term development could completely re-shape this franchise.

Oh yeah, and we have Machado, Jones, and Schoop who are top 3 players at their position (Or in Schoops case, top 10 with a chance to be top 5 in the near future).

If you like Hughes because you like his baseball skills, then you sign him. There is nothing gained by moving him to next year unless you think it is a deeper draft class and you will get a better player.

Otherwise, saying you have 8 of the top 75 picks in next years draft is weaker than saying you have Hughes plus 7 of the top 75 picks next year.

If you like Hughes because you like his baseball skills, then you sign him. There is nothing gained by moving him to next year unless you think it is a deeper draft class and you will get a better player.

Otherwise, saying you have 8 of the top 75 picks in next years draft is weaker than saying you have Hughes plus 7 of the top 75 picks next year.

If you think Hughes is a fourth round talent but you drafted him at 68 because you thought it could save money to sign a 20th rounder, then it turns out that it wouldn't save enough money to sign the 20th rounder, then yeah something is gained by not signing him as you are essentially trading a #69 pick in next year's draft for whatever you think Hughes' actual value is. If you think Hughes actual value is a fourth round talent, that difference is significant.

• Upvote 1

If you think Hughes is a fourth round talent but you drafted him at 68 because you thought it could save money to sign a 20th rounder, then it turns out that it wouldn't save enough money to sign the 20th rounder, then yeah something is gained by not signing him as you are essentially trading a #69 pick in next year's draft for whatever you think Hughes' actual value is. If you think Hughes actual value is a fourth round talent, that difference is significant.

Bingo. You nailed it. This is just how the new draft pool works. So we either get Hughes and a overslot guy or we take a player with an actual second round grade next year. We always fawn over how teams can manipulate the draft so well. Well now we're doing it.

Thanks Murph and that is exactly what I have alluded to previously. Its hard to justify doing this with a 1st round pick, but a 2nd is perfect. Take someone in the 2nd who has 4-6th round talent and 10+ round bonus demands. You still get a really strong prospect but also save a lot of money for other picks. The added leverage if getting that pick next year helps in negotiations.

Still surprised that he wasn't signed, they would have known his numbers. Let's hope next year's draft is deeper than this one.

Dang. I get the logic of what the O's were trying to do, but I hate having to wait another year for this pick. Our system is thin and we need every decent prospect we can get.

Would love the details; has to be he changed his number or there was a physical issue, right? Can't imagine Baltimore drafted someone in the second round that wasn't interested in signing.

Sounds believable to me. Good analysis.

The problem with that is it requires your true valuation of the player to be lower than it should be for when he was selected. In other words, if the goal of the pick was to get an under slot signing you should be able to find a talent you like as a 2nd or 3rd round guy (most likely a guy you'd rather get with your pick in the next round but believe will not make it there). Either way (whether it's a 2nd/3rd or 4th round talent) if you are making an under-slot play you need to draft with certainty the player will sign. That means the phone call, the "we are looking to spend $X amount at this slot, is that something you'd consider?" talk, all of it.

Finally, if you view him as a fourth round talent than you should only be spending marginally above fourth round money for him, in which case you'd absolutely know on draft day whether the price you were offering (roughly 1.5 rounds below slot) was likely to get it done.

This is just weird to me. From a process standpoint I'm hoping it was something having to do with the physical, because it doesn't seem like a coherent approach to drafting and signing this kid.