bobmc

13 man staff, Todd Williams sent down; Burres makes team and oh yes, Freddie B!

I dunno, lots of teams made moves this afternoon. More moves will be made on Sunday. If a team wanted Williams, there are plenty of ways to do it without any monumental roster changes.

I wonder if the Rockies were just trying to dump Kim's salary on somebody.

I would be pretty certain that the Rockies are just trying to dump Kim's salary and dont really care what they get back in return.

Wow! I thought the whole underlying reason to keep 13 pitchers is because they couldn't get value for Williams. If they were sending him down they could have definitely kept Dubois.

Congratulations to Burres.

By the way, I saw the replay of today's game and hear was Sammy's proposed line-up:

Roberts

Mora

Markakis

Tejada

Huff

Hernandez

Gibbons

Patterson

Millar

Why put Millar behind Patterson? Just to make sure Roberts doesn't get an unfair advantage over Patterson in the SB race by not having a Mack truck in front of him every time he gets on?

This team has serious issues.

Makes absolutely no sense to carry 13 pitchers. I know their excuse is that they don't think they're going to get a whole lot from Wright and Trachsel. Why acquire them then?

Has there ever been a worse bench than Bako / Gomez / Bynum?

That may be the worst hitting bench in Orioles history and why did the Orioles acquire Wright, knowing he can only give you 5 innings or less? Thanks, 1970.

That may be the worst hitting bench in Orioles history and why did the Orioles acquire Wright, knowing he can only give you 5 innings or less? Thanks, 1970.

Reason #1: $3,000,000

Reason #2: Leo Mazzone

Most of the point was hoping that he would become useful because of Mazzone. Also, by trading for him it only cost them 1 year at 3M, opposed to whatever it would have been on the free agent market.

I'd leave Gomez out of this. He's a fine bench player. It's the other 2 that are pretty bad.

Gomez is probably one of the worst bench players in the AL. 36 years old with a .686 career OPS--if anyone goes down and he gets extended time, we're in huge trouble.

Really, I think you can look at a ton of teams in history and I don't think you'll find many that carried a bench with 3 hitters as bad as Gomez, Bako, and Bynum.

Hopefully we get our pitching problems sorted out soon so we can end this ridiculousness and bring up Knott or DuBois.

I would be pretty certain that the Rockies are just trying to dump Kim's salary and dont really care what they get back in return.

A few teams have expressed interest, including Oakland, I believe. He's not a bad 5th starter at all and I still don't understand why we wouldn't trade a pitcher we were sending down for him.

Gomez is probably one of the worst bench players in the AL. 36 years old with a .686 career OPS--if anyone goes down and he gets extended time, we're in huge trouble.

Really, I think you can look at a ton of teams in history and I don't think you'll find many that carried a bench with 3 hitters as bad as Gomez, Bako, and Bynum.

Hopefully we get our pitching problems sorted out soon so we can end this ridiculousness and bring up Knott or DuBois.

I don't think any of these guys are being carried as hitters. They are there because of their defense. Gomez can hit lefties, and Bynum won't be here much longer.

Here's what I think. Some people want a bench of hitters, and defense means nothing. Others are good with a bench of defenders. Thus, the big debate.

Here's the answer. With a little tiny bench of three guys, you're either going to have a guy who can hit and only play DH, or, you will have a guy who can hit a little but play wherever you need him. In the AL, that's pretty much the bottom line.

Why put Millar behind Patterson? Just to make sure Roberts doesn't get an unfair advantage over Patterson in the SB race by not having a Mack truck in front of him every time he gets on?

Seems a reasonable assumption.

There were comparable pitchers available via FA who presumably could have been acquired at a reasonable price.

Like who exactly? There were better options admittedly, but for 3 mil there weren't. I didn't like the trade either- and I don't expect a lot J Wright- but to think we could have signed a FA pitcher for the kind of cheap, one year deal we essentially have w Wright isn't correct imo.

As much money as this organization makes, there's no reason to be cutting corners as much as they seem to do.

The Os are damned if they do, and damn if they don't, in this regard. Half the time we whine how they misspend thier money, and other times how they wont ante up. Should they spend better: Definetly. But I think it would have been worse to throw 60 mil at Meche or another 900,000 at Chen or someone of his ilk, thank to take a realtively cheap shot on J Wright for one year.

How pitiful is the Baltimore Sun? They were scooped by the Post again and they still don't have an update hours later.

Regarding the roster, I don't have a lot to say. I don't like it, but I doubt it stays this way for more than 7-10 days. I think everyone is going to be very surprised at how short the leash is for Wright and Traschel this season when they struggle.

I agree with your Sun/Post comment. Interesting.

I hope the team is proactive in addressing weaknesses that arise as the season starts. If this is what they want to focus on, (defense and pitching depth), then fine. But if players struggle, both on offense and defense, I hope they are quick to try other options at AAA - especially considering that many of those options are younger with more of an upside to them.

Here's a novel idea. How about trying to acquire bench players who can do at least a decent job both offensively and defensively?

They did. Their names are Dubois, Knott, Phelps, and House.

Unfortunately Dubois got injured

They already had 4 other Knotts

They didn't protect Phelps from the Rule 5

And, House didn't play himself into a spot in ST

I can see the rotation now:

Bedard

Cabrera

Wright (w/ Guthrie pitching the 4-6th innings)

Loewen

Trachsel (w/ Burres pitching the 4-6th innings)

Hopefully I am joking but I could legitely see something like this happening.

As stated, bold move. I love it how the Orioles we trying to trade Williams and yet they can squeeze him through waivers.

No joke, I fully expect this to be the case for the first 2 or 3 weeks.