DrShorebird

Four Releases Saturday Mourning

Jevne was the one that was released.

Are you sure about this? Jevne put up solid numbers last year between aberdeen in his second year of pro ball. Lavigne seems to be a minor league filler type, putting up terrible numbers at AAA and okay numbers at AA. With all the pitchers that we have in AAA and AA i would believe there was no room for him. Unless Jevne came to camp out of shape, I would be shocked if the O's released him. I do not know who your source is, nor have i seen any spring training games but i would be surprised if jevne was the one thy released.

I cant believe Nick McCurdy was released. I thought he always put up solid numbers, espiecally at Bowie last year. He was at the very least a good organizational guy who if all hell breaks loose, you could use out of the 'pen or something one day down the road. I'm sad to see him and Clendedin go, I am not familiar with the other two. Sad stuff, best of luck to them elsewhere

Frederick News reporter, Stan Goldberg, confirms the four releases (plus Finch). I had an early morning meeting with David Stockstill on Shorebird matters and he just mentioned the four releases. I asked him to spell the last name and by the time I got to my car to write them down, all that I could remember was the "vne" part.

http://www.fredericknewspost.com/sections/sports/display.htm?StoryID=72824

From Stan's report: "Finch was the Orioles' second-round pick in the 2003 draft.

McCurdy, a reliever, was with the Keys in 2003, 2004 and 2005. His best season was 2004, when he went 6-3.

But last season he was 1-2 with a 5.93 ERA at Norfolk.

Clendenin played in Frederick the past two seasons. Two years ago, he hit .252 in 78 games in Frederick. Last year, he played in Frederick, Bowie and Norfolk.

Owen, a reliever, struggled last season at Frederick and Delmarva.

The Orioles also released pitcher Zachary Jevne, who was 3-4 with a 2.84 ERA at Aberdeen a year ago."

Wow, the release of Finch surprises me. Maybe he just never recovered from his injury and could not regain the velocity he needed, like Patterson with the Nats. Jevne intrigued me because he went to college in Iowa, like me. Too bad for him. Hopefully all of the guys can get picked up and continue their careers.

Also, Doc can you tell me if Rommie Lewis is still with the system and if so, how his chances look? Thanks.

I definitely feel some of the "mourning" - I thought that was a cool title.

But does anyone else see this as showing how the bar is being raised on our farm?

It's really quite exciting to me, even while I mourn the loss of guys I've known and followed in Bowie for the past few seasons.

• Upvote 1

I definitely feel some of the "mourning" - I thought that was a cool title.

But does anyone else see this as showing how the bar is being raised on our farm?

It's really quite exciting to me, even while I mourn the loss of guys I've known and followed in Bowie for the past few seasons.

Its exciting on that level yes but it will take me awhile to get past being sad that i feel i'm losing a friend

Wow, the release of Finch surprises me. Maybe he just never recovered from his injury and could not regain the velocity he needed, like Patterson with the Nats. Jevne intrigued me because he went to college in Iowa, like me. Too bad for him. Hopefully all of the guys can get picked up and continue their careers.

Also, Doc can you tell me if Rommie Lewis is still with the system and if so, how his chances look? Thanks.

He's here, but I haven't seen him pitch in a game or on the side. There were about 175 guys here, but now I think it's more s the big leagues are cutting down and guys are assigned here or are brought in for a quick look. Rommie seemed in shape and had good spiritss, but I have no word on how he is pitching.

I here that before the season starts that they are probably going to release about 15 or 20 more players, most of which are pitchers. I think some of those could be at the end of extended season I'm just guessing. I would like to know when they are going to tell the players where they are going.