Sign in to follow this  
MDtransplant757

Worst promos you've ever seen (Minor or Major leagues)

(I'm gonna put this here because it's kinda appropriate and I don't want to waste space with a new thread)

Worst commercial on all of radio EVER..."Kars for kids." Whomever thought of that should be banished to Mexico

o

I can't give you an example of "worst" promotion because I like them all, but I can give you a couple of examples of strangest promotions.

In 2010, the Orioles had a Nolan Reimold Bobblehead Day, and he was in AAA-Norfolk on said day.

One year later (2011), the same thing happened when the Orioles had a Brian Matusz Bobblehead Day (Matusz was at AAA-Norfolk on said day.)

And interestingly enough ...... 3 to 4 years later, both players are currently on the Orioles' 25-man roster.

The Durham Bulls had a Josh Hamilton bobblehead promotion and as fate would have it, he never made it to The Rays. But here he is in Rays gear. (not my pic, but I have one).

Picture+5.png

The Durham Bulls had a Josh Hamilton bobblehead promotion and as fate would have it, he never made it to The Rays. But here he is in Rays gear. (not my pic, but I have one).

Picture+5.png

that has to be worth something.

that has to be worth something.

I'd have thought so, too. Just saw one on Ebay and it's very reasonable. It's a gray road jersey. The one I got at the game is a white home jersey (wearing #22). He was a hometown guy for me (my Dad saw his father regularly with his job when he was high school phenom). Really disappointed he never made it to Durham and never got to see him play even for part of a season here. He would have been an amazing draw there (the ballpark being just 30 miles from where he's from in Raleigh).

One of the most disappointing Orioles ones for me was earlier this year at their second home game, for "A.L. East Division Champs wall art", a cheap hangable placard which said "A.L. East Division Champions 2014", despite our having been swept by the Royals and not even having sniffed a pennant.

My uncle, girlfriend and myself each got one, looked at them dubiously, and left them all by a garbage can when we went into the Orioles store. By the time we came out, they were all still there, in addition to even more left behind by others.

One of the most disappointing Orioles ones for me was earlier this year at their second home game, for "A.L. East Division Champs wall art", a cheap hangable placard which said "A.L. East Division Champions 2014", despite our having been swept by the Royals and not even having sniffed a pennant.

My uncle, girlfriend and myself each got one, looked at them dubiously, and left them all by a garbage can when we went into the Orioles store. By the time we came out, they were all still there, in addition to even more left behind by others.

Had they won the pennant and got swept in the Series, would you have left an A.L. Champions wall art by the garbage?

Had they won the pennant and got swept in the Series, would you have left an A.L. Champions wall art by the garbage?

Sandoval left his World Series art in the garbage the day after the parade.

I might have. Sure, it was like being given a commemorative replica of a Bronze Medal. But it just looked cheap and odd. Give me an Orioles ballpoint pen that costs 6 cents to make, and I'll use it every day. But we all thought the same thing about the wall art, and apparently we weren't alone.

I might have. Sure, it was like being given a commemorative replica of a Bronze Medal. But it just looked cheap and odd. Give me an Orioles ballpoint pen that costs 6 cents to make, and I'll use it every day. But we all thought the same thing about the wall art, and apparently we weren't alone.
If you hadn't won a "bronze medal" for 17 years, and this was only the 3rd time in 32 seasons, some may appreciate it more.