Sign in to follow this  
Roy Firestone

I think they HAVE to sign Davis

For all his warts and high K rate, the Orioles still need to retain Davis for a few reasons.

1. They need to show the fan base that they are committed to keeping their stars.

2. They can't easily make up nearly 40 HR and roughly 100 RBI's

3. They can afford for Davis to go to Boston or even the Yankees(yes, I believe they are thinking about it even with their big contracts)>

4. The Orioles need some continuity for their franchise.

It may be a ridiculous contract, and may need to overpay, but Davis is a star and the Orioles need stars badly.

I believe that they may need to sign Parra too, but Chen and Wieters are gone.

I agree. After the debacle of an offseason the O's had this year, fans are going to be much less willing to give DD the benefit of the doubt when he starts making (or NOT making) moves after this disappointing season.

Boston is a possible destination that I have mentioned before. I'm not sure the Yankees can do the roster juggling necessary to add him to the roster. Teixeira gets $23M for another year at 1B. ARod is their $21M DH. Beltran gets $15M to play RF. Gardner is signed through 2018 in LF, along with Ellsbury through 2020 in CF.

Boston is a possible destination that I have mentioned before. I'm not sure the Yankees can do the roster juggling necessary to add him to the roster. Teixeira gets $23M for another year at 1B. ARod is their $21M DH. Beltran gets $15M to play RF. Gardner is signed through 2018 in LF, along with Ellsbury through 2020 in CF.

He's valuable even as a RFer. Has the arm you want.

I would not throw a 7/175m contract at the feet of

Davis. If you want the Orioles to put their money where their collective mouth is then spend it on an ace. You constantly complain about our lack of pitching so now let's take that $25 mil per and spend it on a David Price.:cool:

I think Price will get a lot more money than Chris Davis. But if I'm wrong, I'd also take Price over Davis all else equal.

I think Price will get a lot more money than Chris Davis. But if I'm wrong, I'd also take Price over Davis all else equal.

Don't forget the comp pick. Price plus a comp pick is worth a ton more than Davis. Upton plus a comp pick would be a close call. I love Davis but the collective bargaining system incentives us to let him walk and tkae the comp pick.

Don't forget the comp pick. Price plus a comp pick is worth a ton more than Davis. Upton plus a comp pick would be a close call. I love Davis but the collective bargaining system incentives us to let him walk and tkae the comp pick.

BEG him to accept the offer!

I take that back. Upton or anyone equivalent would cost us a comp pick, so I guess it would be a wash. Still, we have to look at all the free agent options. I am not convinced Davis will be the biggest producer or the best value.

Maybe. Hanley Ramirez has said he was told he will be the 1B next year.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

With our horrible record of drafting and developing? No thanks, ill take the stud power hitting first baseman. No way we pony up for Price. Zero chance!

It depends on the (P)price. If the go after Price they will not be able to afford Davis. In any case, I like Davis but not in the #4 spot. He kills way too many rallies by not putting the ball in play. I think #5is where his natural spot is.

We don't have to sign Davis, but we do need to sign a couple of impact players. If Davis happens to be one of the impact guys they sign, fine.

We don't have to sign Davis, but we do need to sign a couple of impact players. If Davis happens to be one of the impact guys they sign, fine.

I agree with this. I like CD ok, but there are a few other FA's this year that I like better. We just can't get cute this time around and think that 3 or 4 6 Million dollar players will be better than a real impact bat.