Sports Guy

Why is Reimold going back to Bowie?

According to my sources {Cough} you are correct.

Norfolk is a big time pitchers park and they are concerned his power numbers would go down, which makes you try to hit more homeruns, which makes your average go down.

Also, keep in mind the pitching would be better in AAA and he's only a phone call away at Bowie. If he forces their hand he can always be moved up to AAA with numbers and confidence. If the O's get a major injury he could become our starting left-fielder sooner then we think.

...which makes complete sense, IMO. Better Bowie and Norfolk.

...which makes complete sense, IMO. Better Bowie and Norfolk.

Yeah. This was the kind of thinking that I meant when I mentioned "method". There's a consistency - they're trying to keep Nolan from pressing or over-compensating. And, frankly, I think this approach is geared to the type of player he is - streaky, prone to letting his swing get long, prone to Ks when he's not right.

The result: MiL Spring Training, and a start in AA.

If we know anything, it's that MacPhail doesn't do anything arbitrarily. And frankly, to me, this makes a decent amount of sense.

Norfolk is a big time pitchers park and they are concerned his power numbers would go down, which makes you try to hit more homeruns, which makes your average go down.

Also, keep in mind the pitching would be better in AAA and he's only a phone call away at Bowie. If he forces their hand he can always be moved up to AAA with numbers and confidence. If the O's get a major injury he could become our starting left-fielder sooner then we think.

So, does this mean they never plan on having him in AAA?

I could understand this if he's 22, but he's 24. 24 in AA is not a good sign. It's... a discouraging sign. If Hernandez is on the Baltimore roster when the season starts, I think this combination of decisions sends very confusing signals to the O's prospects.

And if he's called up to AAA next week, does it make is less discouraging?

Could it be something simple like weather?

I haven't looked at both teams schedules but if Bowie starts off on a southern swing through the league, then maybe they want Reimold in the warmer weather where it is easier to loosen up muscles.

Just a thought.......

Man, sounds like someone was at the Fanfest minor league forum. :D

The Orioles want Reimold to have a good healthy start and putting him at Norfolk to start the season might make him press because it's so hard to hit home runs there. Last Jon Knott ran into the same problem. He changed his swing to try and pull the ball since hitting the ball to center and right-center is extremely difficult because of the wind. He then hurt his back and his season snow balled on him.

Starting Reimold at Bowie is not a bad thing, nor does it show the Orioles are down on Nolan. There are a lot of good pitching prospects in Double-A and if the Orioles really need an outfielder it won't matter if he's at Double-A or Triple-A as long as he's putting up good numbers and most importantly, staying healthy.

I'm not really suprised but a little dissapointed. I figure if he stays healthy and tears it up he'll move up to AAA soon enough

They want to watch him close and can do that better from bowie. Also maybe they feel he needs a fire lit under him. In addition the trend around baseball seems to be a longer stay at AA.

The Orioles want Reimold to have a good healthy start and putting him at Norfolk to start the season might make him press because it's so hard to hit home runs there. Last Jon Knott ran into the same problem. He changed his swing to try and pull the ball since hitting the ball to center and right-center is extremely difficult because of the wind. He then hurt his back and his season snow balled on him.

Starting Reimold at Bowie is not a bad thing, nor does it show the Orioles are down on Nolan. There are a lot of good pitching prospects in Double-A and if the Orioles really need an outfielder it won't matter if he's at Double-A or Triple-A as long as he's putting up good numbers and most importantly, staying healthy.

Tony,

I know the have done this in the past in the major leagues, but would the O's ever try to insist (in a nice way) that Norfolk adjust the park dimensions? I would think this would help both pitcher's and hitter's get ready for the show. I have seen posted several times since we have made Norfolk our AAA home how drastic these demensions play on the game, and would feel the dimension change well for the minor league system and players trying to prove they belong in the Bigs.

I guess you know who that {cough} was for? :002_scool:

Great forum BTW, it was my second favorite part of fanfest. My first having to go to getting my picture taken with the World Series Trophy and my daughter.

Tony,

I know the have done this in the past in the major leagues, but would the O's ever try to insist (in a nice way) that Norfolk adjust the park dimensions? I would think this would help both pitcher's and hitter's get ready for the show. I have seen posted several times since we have made Norfolk our AAA home how drastic these demensions play on the game, and would feel the dimension change well for the minor league system and players trying to prove they belong in the Bigs.

They could use it as a negotiation tool for whenever the current affiliation is up. If Norfolk is happy with the O's, then based on the Reimold theories in this thread, they may even get better prospects sent to Norfolk, if the park dimensions were more favoable for hitters,

So, does this mean they never plan on having him in AAA?

It's not really that big of a deal, the O's have a multitude of OF at Norfolk(granted, mostly useless OF), and wanted Reimold to play every day. Whoever said more callups come from AA than AAA is correct. Players skip AAA all the time but if you look, they almost NEVER Skip AA because that's usually where the best major-league ready talent is. AAA is too full of the Adam Sterns, Esteban Yan's and Lance Cormier's of the world.

On one hand, I'd say - Holy carp, they're really babying Reimold - what with not bringing him to ST so he wouldn't "try too hard" and not putting him in AAA so he wouldn't... try too hard. But otoh, I gotta give them credit for giving his situation extra thought and attention - and doing what they think is best for him. The old addage - better to err on the side of caution really stuck. But they carried it a bit farther than I think I would have.