Sports Guy

Why is Reimold going back to Bowie?

On one hand, I'd say - Holy carp, they're really babying Reimold - what with not bringing him to ST so he wouldn't "try too hard" and not putting him in AAA so he wouldn't... try too hard. But otoh, I gotta give them credit for giving his situation extra thought and attention - and doing what they think is best for him. The old addage - better to err on the side of caution really stuck. But they carried it a bit farther than I think I would have.

Pretty much my thinking. As I mentioned earlier.

I think one of the key ideas is that his power numbers will suffer in Norfolk so they want to get the numbers up in Bowie.

That statement would seem to indicate he's trade bait, which he probably is.

What this says to me is that they need to change the dimensions in Norfolk. To start a .930 OPS player in AA again because they are worried about him changing his approach at the plate because the park is huge is dumb. Then Knott throws out his back trying to hit the longball.... change the dimensions. That seems like the easier thing, the more obvious thing, to do.

That statement would seem to indicate he's trade bait, which he probably is.

Never say never, but I wouldn't jump to that conclusion. They likely just want our young stud outfielder to establish himself as such while being healthy for a decent stint. There are pro's and con's to being in the majors, AAA or AA. We likely weighed each of them and this is where he ended up.

Some people around here are ready to jump off the cliff at the smallest news (not speaking to you specifically JTrea).

I think the basic idea is *first* you show us you can do it, and *then* we promote you... not the other way around.

In general, that seems like a good idea to me...

Yes, there's been too much of pushing prospects beyond what they can handle in the O's system in recent years. In Reimold's case, his limited number of at bats at Bowie last year make me -- and perhaps the O's farm system people -- suspect whether he can really hit that well at AA yet. He first hit well at Frederick, and then had a down season. I think he still has big trouble with the low breaking ball, and the league catches onto that after a while. Hopefully, he'll learn to adjust to that, but he's getting old for AA.

When I talked to Keys manager Tommy Thompson today, there was one thing he said that immediately got me thinking of Reimold. He said really, there's a lot of guys now just making the jump from Double-A level to the bigs. In addition, a lot of Triple-A teams are basically AAAA guys of guys who've had a cup of coffee at the big league level or their careers are waning. Looking at Norfolk's roster, it's exactly what I see. I think to put Reimold in Norfolk, with an AAAA-lineup serves him no purpose. Sure the numbers going down based upon dimensions are probably a reason, but to play with more talented individuals at a Double-A level might make more sense in all honesty. I think we're also making a big deal about his age. Nolan is NOT too old for this level. I know we all were discouraged when he wasn't invited to spring training, but the Orioles have a plan. We're seeing it put into motion, and not rushing individuals is just a small part. Reimold's injuries may have cost him a potential shot at the 4th outfield spot in Baltimore, or at least a shot in Norfolk. However, a full and healthy season at Bowie against a more-talented league would better suit Reimold in my opinion. With a September callup at the end of the minor league season, Reimold would have a month to showcase his skills and get ready for 2009 when he can prove he deserves to make the Orioles.

Keep in mind the kid only has 50 games above A ball, it really isn't unusual to see a prospect sent back for more at bats with that few games. I'd expect him to be down there til the all star break provided he's healthy and doesn't slump for months. The AAAA argument really makes sense though, in the last couple years, you do see the best prospects at AA and a lot more backup MLB guys in AAA.