Il BuonO

Givens And The Art of Deception

Unicorn.

“My pitching coach in Double-A used to say I’m a unicorn,” admitted Givens. “It’s weird,” said O’Day of Givens’ release. “He gets on top of the baseball from that low three-quarters slot.” Even though it doesn’t look like a three-quarters slot, you can understand what O’Day means.

Filthy. One of the few bright spots from the minors this year. Which is depressing.

Think how bad it would be if someone had claimed him in the Rule V and he was dong this for another team?

Givens' arm slot reminds me of Pedro. Seriously.

And although different body type, slinging heaters and sliders from 'pen am reminder how Jeff Nelson carved out a nice long and underrated MLB career as premier RH setup man on winning ballclubs

Givens is pretty nasty in his role that he has now. Basically the same as Brach. The back end of the bullpen has carried the team this year. Givens is looking like he can be our Herrara.

Love this guy. Seems very well composed out there too. If Oday doesn't stick around, I'm not too worried. In fact, if Chen leaves i wouldn't mind trying out Zach in the rotation and let MG close out, at least to see how that goes.

Buck wants to save him for high leverage situations.

I wish he would remember that every time he wants to bring in Brach with a couple guys on base.

I wish he would remember that every time he wants to bring in Brach with a couple guys on base.

Seven run lead you let Brach sink of swim.

Of course Chen's final start was typical, with Buck sending him back out for one more inning...

Of course Chen's final start was typical, with Buck sending him back out for one more inning...

I'm thinking more of the future.

Givens' arm slot reminds me of Pedro. Seriously.

And although different body type, slinging heaters and sliders from 'pen am reminder how Jeff Nelson carved out a nice long and underrated MLB career as premier RH setup man on winning ballclubs

I was watching him today and the way he throws reminded me of Dennis Eckersley. Not as high of a leg kick though.

I was watching him today and the way he throws reminded me of Dennis Eckersley. Not as high of a leg kick though.

Interesting comparison. Only difference is the lack of a mullet, but I think that is a positive in favor of Givens. I believe this kid is going to be a star. Does he have a nickname yet?

Just to get the curtain call. Have a heart :)

Just to get the curtain call. Have a heart :)

Have we met?

Chen could have taken his hat off and waved to the crowd at the end of the inning. Fans would have understood.

I'm fine with Givens being the 8th inning guy next season. Not sure I've ever seen another hard thrower with a delivery like his.