Sign in to follow this  
Nevermore

Brittany Ghiroli on frustration in O's locker room

WTF are you talking about?

LOOK at any thread between November 2014 and February 2015 regarding DD and the winter meetings.

DD and Toronto.

DD and remaining free agents.

Several of them were locked because they got so nasty.

Basically the conversation went like this:

Dec 2014 - DD isn't doing anything - THEY said: "Shut up, it's too early to complain, he can always make moves, it's only December."

Jan 2015 - DD still isn't doing anything - THEY said: "The talent out there is too expensive and/or fangraphs says that player will suck at the end of his contract. Not worth it. There's still time to make moves."

Feb 2015 - DD still isn't doing anything - THEY said: "We can still spend the money better. Besides, the off season isn't the only time we can improve the team. We can make moves through out the season."

Mind you, this is the nice version of how it went down.

March 2015 - Now- DD still hasn't done anything. NOW everyone gets it. And now they attack my character.

Doesn't change anything about what DD didn't do.

MSK

This^^^^.

• Downvote 1

It was sad as an O's fan to see no improvement in the team in the offseason. Just about every other team with half a chance at the playoffs made sizeable improvements. I remember Jones being ticked off that there were no real efforts to resign Markakis or Cruz. Markakis was replaced with Snider and Cruz was replaced with nobody. If the freaking Florida Marlins can sign Stanton to the biggest contract in mlb history, the O's should be able to sign Cruz.

In addition to the offensive talent that was lost, the leadership of the team was gutted. As an outsider, I believe that Cruz and Markakis, along with Jones were the most important guys in the clubhouse. I think Hunter was a leader too (just based on his demeanor). I feel like too much leadership was pushed on Jones, plus he has dealt with nagging injuries all year. Other teams try to win at all cost, the O's, aka DD (no doubt directed by Angelos), try to win as long as the profit margins are not cut into.

The O's didn't have to sign Miller, Cruz, and Markakis in the offseason, but they had to find reasonable replacements for them. Sorry, Parmalee, Snider, and Wesley Wright just don't cut it.

Time to start building for 2020. :cussing:

Yes..dump Jones, and Machado, they bring no leadership, and we clearly can't win with them, with out Cruz and Markakis. :rolleyes:

This farm system has produced a starting position player since Jonathan Schoop! And before that you have to go all the way back to Caleb Joseph and Manny Machado.

Yes..dump Jones, and Machado, they bring no leadership, and we clearly can't win with them, with out Cruz and Markakis. :rolleyes:

Well, as this season has shown, they can't with with only Jones and Machado (and Davis).

KC and TOR have much better farm systems + we had our 2 top prospects in a top heavy farm system shelved. I agree we could have done more but simply signing Cruz + Miller would still not make this team a playoff team.

That's conjecture that can't be proved or disproved. How does one quantify leadership? More importantly, how does one quantify the effect of having a true clean-up hitter in the lineup to take pressure off of practically every other player in said lineup? How do you quantify the effect on the pitching staff of knowing that the offense won't be there to bail you out if you make a mistake?

The fact is no one can really say what this team's record would look like if we had Cruz all season. Most would agree that the Wins/Losses would certainly look better, though - the only question is how much better. And that's a question we can debate forever.

That's conjecture that can't be proved or disproved. How does one quantify leadership? More importantly, how does one quantify the effect of having a true clean-up hitter in the lineup to take pressure off of practically every other player in said lineup? How do you quantify the effect on the pitching staff of knowing that the offense won't be there to bail you out if you make a mistake?

The fact is no one can really say what this team's record would look like if we had Cruz all season. Most would agree that the Wins/Losses would certainly look better, though - the only question is how much better. And that's a question we can debate forever.

But how would Cruz perform with all the pressure on him? Who would Cruz rely on? I think he would crumble in this line-up knowing we don't have a true #3 or #5 hitter.

But how would Cruz perform with all the pressure on him? Who would Cruz rely on? I think he would crumble in this line-up knowing we don't have a true #3 or #5 hitter.

Chris Davis is 26th in MLB with a 133 wRC+. If that's not a legitimate middle of the order hitter then how many are there in baseball? 10?

Edited by Babypowder

Chris Davis is 26th in MLB with a 133 wRC+. If that's not a legitimate middle of the order hitter than how many are there in baseball? 10?

The answer is always to set the bar just above the Oriole in question. Unless said Oriole played prior to 1992.

Toronto found ways to improve.

So did KC.

:noidea:

MSK

If you want to say that the 2014 Os got lucky because the rest of the division was weak, then the same argument can be used for the 2015 Royals and BJs, to an extent.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

Is she quoting a player or players? Then it's 100% bull****.

Sometimes you have to state an opinion as your own analysis when you get way inside info that a source absolutely cannot be tied to. It isn't ideal, but sometimes that's the best you can do.

nd it isn'

This farm system has produced a starting position player since Jonathan Schoop! And before that you have to go all the way back to Caleb Joseph and Manny Machado.[/QUOT

And it is not going to get better until we have a FO that won't trade the best of our thin minor league system for rental players that will not move the needle. This argument that our minor league system is too thin....Yes it is! and that is our own fault. I only wish I had confidence that this organization is going to start to do things right and build from within.

Is she quoting a player or players? Then it's 100% bull****.

I think Britt is a pro at what she does and has earned the right to comment on the status of the club from an informed perspective. She's not going to attached names to an analysis of this nature. She may not have analyzed the 2015 O's from A-Z, but calling her comments "100% bull****" for failure to attach names to each and every thought offered is weak.

You are assuming that what she is conveying is nothing more than what she personally thinks, based on no sourcing information.

I'm not sure you understand how an assumption works. I'm not "assuming" anything, I'm merely saying that her giving her characterization of the clubhouse, is her characterization of the clubhouse. It would be like you telling me that wasn't even her on the interview, but some alien that came down and took her body. You're right, I can't disprove that argument, but it's not an "assumption" on my part to say "No, that was her." The burden is on you, the person who is assuming a fact not there, i.e. she is really an alien, to prove it.

Sometimes you have to state an opinion as your own analysis when you get way inside info that a source absolutely cannot be tied to. It isn't ideal, but sometimes that's the best you can do.

That's fine. I don't think anybody is arguing there is NO WAY this isn't what players told her. But she doesn't indicate that is the case, so before I join in with the "SEE!!! CHEMISTRY!!!! MARKAKIS!!! DELMON FREAKING YOUNG!!!!" told you so's, I'll wait for a little more than us just "assuming" she is repeating what players told her.